What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best strain for muscle recovery?

EazyK

I do a lot of sports and weight training and I'm, just wondering what is the best strain for muscle recovery and for deep sleeps which also helps in recovery.

G

Its not cannabis, but look into magnesium (Calms). Also do a search for transdermal magnesium therapy (magnesium chloride).

SpaceJunkOG

i think your best strain for muscle recovery will be different from your go-to sleep strain.

DEEP SLEEP:

*) Grandaddy Purple
*) Tahoe OG
*) Platinum OG
*) Bubba Kush
*) Herijuana
*) Purple Urkle
*) Lavender
*) Grape Ape

i have personally found that eating edibles before sleep is much more effective and long lasting - it lasts up to about 8 hours, as opposed to 2 from smoking, it keeps you asleep rather than just putting you to sleep. So your best bet for sleep may be a good indica edible - ask your caregiver (if yur in a med state) which edible they have that's best for sleep and try that. Or if you're adventurous make your own. I make "sleep cookies" out of indica strains, i eat one every night before bed and i sleep a solid 9hrs uninterupted every night. and i wake up without my chest hurting from smoking all that weed before bed.

MUSCLE RECOVERY

i am not sure if 'muscle recovery', by definition, is something that is treated with cannabis (anybody feel free to correct me). BUT, some strains are excellent for muscle fatigue.... here's what i would suggest based on mine and a lot of other peoples' reports about muscle-relief strains (i used to have a job that required weekly visits to the Chiropractor and i have had a lot of experience with these ones as well):

*) Trainwreck
*) Chemdawg (i like Chem #4 / Chem D for muscle relief)
*) Blueberry (you could use this for sleep too, puts me out cold)
*) Headband
*) Chocolope
*) lots of different Kushes / OG's.
*) Thai-dominant hybrids - i find Thai strains to have great muscle relaxing qualities.

.....those are some of the ones i personally have used / still use. Trainwreck and Chemdawg are my favorite for muscle relaxation / relief during the day when you don't want to fall asleep.

You might also try topicals - i've heard they do wonders for many people, rubbing a topical THC extract on the exact muscle you've been working could end up being amazing relief for this. I've never tried topicals so I can't comment with personal experience.

good luck! hope this helps.

madalasatori

Veteran
I’m currently vegging some white rhino x bubba kush for a similar purpose.. I’ve heard the white rhino is a heavy stone

Gry

pouring a little in a cup of hot tea helps also.
Use it on my knees when they hurt a lot.
Works quickly and well.
A tub of hot water and a sublinguled extract
work well together.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Rubbing medicated coconut oil into sore muscles provides almost immediate relief.
Myself a combination of a rub with Harlequin salve (grape seed oil (more penetrating), bees wax, and menthol) and a Harlequin mari-pill. Salve acts pretty fast. The pill 0.26g kicks in within 30 min for a longer and deeper relief of the affected area. 1 pill is good for 6 hrs. As a diabetic, I found Har salve helpful for neuropathy as well.

Best trait of Har is its anti-inflammatory properties.

For deep sleep, a GDP pill one hour before bed.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Myself a combination of a rub with Harlequin salve (grape seed oil (more penetrating), bees wax, and menthol) and a Harlequin mari-pill. Salve acts pretty fast. The pill 0.26g kicks in within 30 min for a longer and deeper relief of the affected area. 1 pill is good for 6 hrs. As a diabetic, I found Har salve helpful for neuropathy as well.

Best trait of Har is its anti-inflammatory properties.

For deep sleep, a GDP pill one hour before bed.

I peddled close to 50 miles for the first time this season and when I got home my leg muscles were on fire. I was totally surprised that when I rubbed one upper thigh the pain was all the way gone before I rubbed the other one. I did it one more time later in the day and was good to go riding again the next day. Normally my first big ride or so of the year takes a bit more recovery. I will be bringing some with me on long rides from now on.

Also. I do not usually have any one particular strain in my oil. I love variety. Usually leaning toward the sativa side. And by the time I make oil I might have 20-50 different strains in it plus maybe some extracts.

I have keep all my crumbs from rolling joints. Once I have a crock pot full its time to make coconut oil.

White Beard

I find that yoga is THE best thing for muscle recovery (*with* good sleep).

I find that ANY weed that encourages me to “settle in” with my body is an EXCELLENT aid to yoga. It aids the mindfulness that is so important to full and gentle stretching, and helps sync breathing and movement.

I’ve been working physical jobs since I was 12, and I find the combination a requirement for staying limber and healthy and free from injury.

If you are doing any regular exercise, including weights, then you need to know that stretching is essential to recovery and to healing: you should stretch for at least 5-10 minutes before and after exercise, and 20-30 minutes at least once before bed.

If you don’t do yoga, your public library almost certainly has instructional vids available to check out. Avoid intense yoga styles like ashtanga, ‘hot’, or ‘power’ yoga, as they are not intended for relaxation and recovery.

Also, very important to remember that your body needs 36-48 hours to fully recover from a strength/endurance workout. Ignoring this is a path to continual re-injury.

Hope this helps.

wutwut

Veteran
420giveaway
i haven't found the best but og and bubba kush works somehow. amnesia core cut aswell for muscle but it's not great for sleeping.

probably white rhino x something would be that one.

St. Phatty

Also, very important to remember that your body needs 36-48 hours to fully recover from a strength/endurance workout. Ignoring this is a path to continual re-injury.

Hope this helps.

I like Yoga too.

Seems like the recovery time from serious exercise increases as you get older.

I have to manage "hill time" so I don't overdo.

One time I walked to the top of the ridge twice in 3 days, about an 800 foot vertical, and I was beat for a week. There was an obvious answer to 'why am i so tired' but it was hard for me to accept.

Now I plan watering accordingly. Water on house level some days, on the lower hill other days, on the upper hill once a week.

StewartMorrison

I can say that I don't see myself without sports either. I go to the gym three times a week, and the rest of the time I run and exercise in the park. Last month, all the gyms were closed due to quarantine and that was a problem for me. And so, in the gym, I do intense workouts because I'm building muscle mass (with the help of Sarms, you can find more detailed info here https://steroidcycle.org/sarms/) so I really need these intensive workouts. By the way, I've heard that yoga helps to recover quickly, so I think this is a good tip!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree about yoga, but about Sarms, I would not take supplements because I've heard that there are side effects.

Agreed!
"Life threatening reactions, including liver toxicity, have occurred in people taking products containing SARMs. SARMs also have the potential to increase the risk of heart attack and stroke, and the long-term effects on the body are unknown,” FDA officials said.

Digit

To accompany my mostly-hemp diet, I bought some Lysine and Leucine to supplement those amino acids for muscle building after I'd read hemp kernels are low in... I had a look after ordering them, and realised hempseed isn't really low in them after all... but more will help build muscles I'm sure.

I have delta-3-carene terpene to help with bone/teeth growth. I wonder what terpenes help muscle growth, and if delta-3-carene's one of them, alone or in synergy with others.

Breathing techniques, with or without your bong/vape/rig/etc, can have a big impact. I do wim hof method's breathing, and find I can work out WWWWWAY more after a few rounds, getting me into the range where I will actually be building muscles. Already feeling the benefits.

I recall reading about cannabinoids and muscle growth a while back, but I dont recall which or any specifics, but there are definitely multiple avenues of action, across many cannabinoids.

I hope that info helps and isn't redundant repetition (I only skim read the thread).

White Beard

I agree about yoga, but about Sarms, I would not take supplements because I've heard that there are side effects.

Agreed!
"Life threatening reactions, including liver toxicity, have occurred in people taking products containing SARMs. SARMs also have the potential to increase the risk of heart attack and stroke, and the long-term effects on the body are unknown,” FDA officials said.
An important thing to know about SARMs is that they are not attuned to bodybuilding; they are being explored to assist people with WASTING conditions - people who have trouble doing enough exercise, eating enough food, getting enough protein, old people, convalescents, the injury-prone. They are not going to be useful to anyone in your situation. They are not steroids, they are not precursors to steroids, they are not replacements for steroids.

What you’re after is body recomposition. To achieve that, you will need to already be active enough and disciplined enough to maintain your focus on your sleep, your nutrition, your activity, and a genuine workout plan.

Once you get to that point, you should be able to see and feel real results in 3-6 months...and, that IS the short-cut. Even if you had real steroids, they would mess you up more than help you.

To accompany my mostly-hemp diet, I bought some Lysine and Leucine to supplement those amino acids for muscle building after I'd read hemp kernels are low in... I had a look after ordering them, and realised hempseed isn't really low in them after all... but more will help build muscles I'm sure.

I have delta-3-carene terpene to help with bone/teeth growth. I wonder what terpenes help muscle growth, and if delta-3-carene's one of them, alone or in synergy with others.

Breathing techniques, with or without your bong/vape/rig/etc, can have a big impact. I do wim hof method's breathing, and find I can work out WWWWWAY more after a few rounds, getting me into the range where I will actually be building muscles. Already feeling the benefits.

I recall reading about cannabinoids and muscle growth a while back, but I dont recall which or any specifics, but there are definitely multiple avenues of action, across many cannabinoids.

I hope that info helps and isn't redundant repetition (I only skim read the thread).
Breathing is huge, especially when lifting, but important all the time. Just getting into the habit of breathing deeply yet normally for ten minutes a day is a big deal. Dunno about the chemical gematria of cannabinoids, but focus is as important to lifting, exercise, getting to know your body as every other aspect of every movement, and I find focus exercises and cannabis go happily arm-in-arm. Focused, again, being the key: ‘stoned’ isn’t always the same thing.

I don’t know anything about the careens you mention...as for the Lysine and Leucine, you might be better served by a decent whey protein blend or isolate. ALL the aminos play big roles in building muscle, so availability counts. I currently have three kinds. A hydrolysed/isolate blend, a plain 100% WPI, and a chocolate flavored WPI/casein blend. No they’re not any of them “necessary” but they have their uses...I don’t get to eat as much is I would like, for example, and my choices are limited. Optimum Nutrition, I believe, @ Costco

Latest posts

Latest posts