What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The New Chocolate Thai

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
According to DJ Short

that's just his speculation or the information he got and everybody else who bought it at that time, that plant, he is holding, is not pure thai for sure. it can be lowland hybrid and not pure thai. still see no proof that it was or wasn't hybrid even in late 70´s..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The Plant DJ was holding looks like a miniature dwarf sativa type plant even if he planted a seed of highland or low land Thia in 12/12 it would still grow bigger and taller than that.

funkyhorse

Chocolate Thai F5 Derg Corra release
All four girls look similar. They are flowering for 43 days
3 of them have a x2,5 stretch and stopped stretching 10 days ago. The other one x2 stretch.
CTF5 1
picture.php

CTF5 2
picture.php
picture.php

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
that's just his speculation or the information he got and everybody else who bought it at that time, that plant, he is holding, is not pure thai for sure. it can be lowland hybrid and not pure thai. still see no proof that it was or wasn't hybrid even in late 70´s..

He worked not only with Thai and Oaxacan, but also with Afghani or its like you said a hybrid of the two.In a podcast he said something about it.
His description of the choc Thai which is more narcotic and dreamy is correct.Smoked a lot of choc Thai what was sold in the shops and to me it had a more bld effect than a nld effect what you would expect from a good Mex,Colombian or a good Thai.

troutman

Seed Whore
The Plant DJ was holding looks like a miniature dwarf sativa type plant even if he planted a seed of highland or low land Thia in 12/12 it would still grow bigger and taller than that.

Controlling the size of plants like Highland Thai isn't impossible. ;)

I had a male finish at only 25 inches in a solo cup from seed the 1st time I grew them in 2009. :biggrin:

Smaller containers help a lot at the expense of yield. It helps if you plan ahead too.

Greatdalas

Controlling the size of plants like Highland Thai isn't impossible. ;)

I had a male finish at only 25 inches in a solo cup from seed the 1st time I grew them in 2009. :biggrin:

Smaller containers help a lot at the expense of yield. It helps if you plan ahead too.

To control the stretch of sativas I make the first 3/4 weecks flower in 1 litter pot and until it begins to show the first symptoms of flower formation (not when it shows the sex), you will have plants with less production but with less problems, I have also noticed that flowering is a bit earlier in long-flowering sativas.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
He worked not only with Thai and Oaxacan, but also with Afghani or its like you said a hybrid of the two.In a podcast he said something about it.
His description of the choc Thai which is more narcotic and dreamy is correct.Smoked a lot of choc Thai what was sold in the shops and to me it had a more bld effect than a nld effect what you would expect from a good Mex,Colombian or a good Thai.

yes, I agree that is the reason I doubt it is pure nld - dont like to use word "pure". so you insist on opinion choc thai was pure narrow variety and not hybrid. you think they dont hybridize in Thailand at 70´s? I dont mean farmers, but cartels.

also most thais, or generally narrow leaf varieties, have usually very mild taste. not mouth coating taste. while choc thai has really pronounced taste, not mild. or am I wrong?

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Nice advice guys. I live in Asia around 19 degrees N and I've never had the fortune of doing a Thai strain...one day! We get Cambodian brick here..and it DOES smell chocolatey...I might do some of those seeds. I bet they'll finish in March like the Indian sativas I did last year...almost a year from start to finish...

very interesting post, so if it takes so long, I could believe it is pure narrow leaf variety. but also it can be narrow pheno of hybrid.. I read that Vietnamese smokers reported Cambodian import to be hybrids. but they talked about orange flavors though.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
very interesting post, so if it takes so long, I could believe it is pure narrow leaf variety. but also it can be narrow pheno of hybrid.. I read that Vietnamese smokers reported Cambodian import to be hybrids. but they talked about orange flavors though.

What people call chock Thai was a high land Thai and it was not a narrow leaf sativa.Sure it was not a broad leaf like a Indica but it had a broad leaf compared to the low land Thai.

They were also true breeding genetics the things we saw and grew were.

funkyhorse

This is the progeny of last year Chocolate Thai F5 male from the Derg Corra Collective release
I have 2 girls and both have the same feature with branches that dont hold for themselves and if you dont grow in a tight flowering room with plants leaning and holding themselves against the others, you would need to support every single branch
Even the top shot of the progeny cant keep herself straight and folds over
picture.php

This is the top shot of this girl at 85 days. Her mother was ready in 75 day, so the father was making the rest. So I believe the sativa male I had the last year fits into the Dutch Flowers description
picture.php

This is not the case for these year CTF5 girls. I have 4 indica plants. It seems the strains from Dutch Flowers Lemon Thai and Chocolate Thai had indica and sativa phenos and in the case of this repro, it leans heavily to the indica side or the selection was towards the indica phenos
CTF5 1 53 days
picture.php

CTF5 2 53 days on the flower room
picture.php

CTF5 3 at 53 days flowering
picture.php

lLucky

chocolatethai.jpg

Here's the chocolate thai cut from a producer here, I'm going go try and acquire it and do a BX like I said, pretty sure this cut is really old and supposed to not be the easiest to grow

xerb

The Chocolate Thai we got here in California in th 80s

The Chocolate Thai we got here in California in th 80s

Hello Folks,

Back in the early 1980s, I had a source for a wonderful strain from Mexico called Chocolate Thai. The pounds were a dark color and the buds were moderately fat, unlike any pure Thai I have seen. It resembled a mid-grade Colombian from the 70-80s, but sold as "Thai", the smell and taste were easily recognizable as CHOCOLATE THAI. This was about the same time that big fat Buddha Sticks started showing up here as well, also from Mexico, but it was not Thai, just decent smoke. This was just another gimmick to sell buds.

I was told that it was called Thai because the mexican farmers had brought in Thai genetics trying to improve their product.
Irregardless of how it started, this was a very stable strain.
We grew the Chocolate Thai seeds we got from those pounds outdoors here in Northern California for many years.
As I remember ALL the progeny had the chocolate taste in common.
They would ripen here late October- early November. They grew 12+ feet tall with a relatively open structure like a Colombian.

XERB

Last edited: