What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bacon-wrapped beef tenderloin illustrated tutorial

C

cbf

"Should I dissown my dog if he asks for beggin strips?"
choice 1 - "No , reward him with real Bacon" LOL

"Should I make it crispy or not"
choice 3 - "Make both after all variety is the spice of life"

I love the flow chart AHhaah

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Great recipe, I'll try it next week after groceries.

Great cake, I've made fondant before and well it sucks to make and to apply and doesn't hold a candle to cream cheese frosting :)

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
amazing recipe.. definitly going to try this out. id give you more rep but it says i have to spread it around. K++++++++++++++

by the way, dont think this is wierd but you have very nice hands... you can always tell how a person keeps themselves especially women by looking at their hands. well kept hands means you take pride in things.

post some more recipes im always lookin for something new to cook.!!

C

CTSV

Better get your beef now and freeze it, cause cow is about to go through the roof.

I also realize, that freezing is not as good as fresh. However, it's cheaper. I like to buy full tenderloins, and break em down myself, then freeze. Costs MUCH less. Just an idea, to save some cash. :rasta:

Last edited:

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
bacon wrapped tenderloins are one of my all time fav cuts. i get mine from a local butcher shop and they are expensive but oh, so good. i also like new york strip...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very well done stinkyattic.......

I'm a fan of the culinary delights myself & have been
active in the business since the late 60s. Currently I'm
on one of the only diets I've been able to stick with,
designed by me, for me its title says it all....... The Grilled
Cheese with Bacon Diet, I'll let all know the results later.

E

EatShitake

If'n it don't go with bacon, it just don't go...

Well, there are always exceptions...

Nice presentation, stinky!

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Suby- TOTALLY agree that cream cheese frosting is the king of the frostings! My second choice is a poured lemon-confectioners sugar glazing, the kind that comes out looking kinda like liquid silver, and then shred lemon peel over it... omg yum. My favorite cakes are carrot cake with cream cheese frosting adn marzipan carrots, and lemon cake with lemon glaze.

Endo- I don't find that weird at all and can take a compliment! Thank you. You're right, btw. That's important to me.

CTSV- Hell yeah, I have a chest freezer and stock up on meat when it's cheap, and it's about to get some venison too. I think my ex and his cousin just got a couple deer this weekend, gotta call and bug him.

S4L- That's a perfectly fine diet- temporarily anyway. lol. I imagine at least that being in the business you are grilling up a better cut of cheese than Kraft Singles.. RIGHT? (imagine your 3rd grade teacher peering at you over her reading glasses and asking you this pointedly)

Eatshiitake- Lol that's right and you know what the accompaniment was, shiitake gravy. I am an addict. I can spend 20 minutes in the mushroom aisle of the local Asian market. Yes. They have a WHOLE AISLE. Woo hoo!

Shit. Now I have to think of something else clever to make and document. Shoulda started with something less complex and worked up... lol!

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Check my cooking thread in my sig for my carrot cake recipe.
The frosting is addictive, I never get sick of it lol.

And yeah nice manicure, it`s nice to see some pics of hands without dirt under the fingernails :).

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Will do, bro. Definitely.
Suby said:
And yeah nice manicure, it`s nice to see some pics of hands without dirt under the fingernails :).
Well... keep looking. hahah! What do you think the manicure is for? I got the industrial-strength UV cured epoxy overlay so that my nails would stand up to farmin' and still not raise any eyebrows at my legit jobs. There's dirt under there. You just can't see it ;)

D

Don Cotyle

stinkyattic said:
Some of you folks remember the classic BBC cooking show 'Two Fat Ladies'. They rode around the UK on their antique Triumph motorcycle with sidecar, wearing funny leather helmets and goggles, chain-smoked cigarettes in the earlier episodes, and added bacon to anything that didn't run away, and if it DID, they killed it and added bacon to it.

This is my homage to Clarissa and Jennifer!

Ingredients:
One or more 3-lb tenderloins of beef, trimmed of fat and connective tissues
One pound of good quality thick-cut bacon per linear foot of tenderloin- this is the only time you will see that unit of measurement applied to food ;)
Some small scrubbed potatoes

Herb paste:
Several sprigs each of fresh sage, rosemary, and thyme, coarsely chopped
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
Teaspoon balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons dry red wine
Black pepper and salt to taste
Put all this stuff in a blender and puree, then add half again its volume in olive oil or melted butter and whirl one more time quick

Rub the beef down well with herb paste, covering it all as thickly as its consistency allows, and working it into any splits between the muscles too. Use any leftover paste and toss the taters in it.

Lay the bacon out flat as shown, overlapping pieces so the fattier side of each is facing up. Note that they are also flipped end to end so the piece comes out as a rectangle.

Thread a large upholstery or darning needle with clean white cotton or hemp cord. Thicker is better. Carefully lace up the bacon as shown, pulling just snug enough to hold together without tearing. This is why you should choose THICK bacon. If you can't find any, get it from a butcher. Thin commercial bacon is a bitch to lace up.

Pat it down flat and carefully lay it on a roasting pan with a grate in it, lacing side down. Let sit until it comes to room temperature, or close.

Place the whole thing in an oven set to 300'F, uncovered. The bacon is sacrifical. A thick roast will take ~1 1/2 hours to cook. But you MUST monitor inner temperature during this time. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast and remove from the oven when the thermometer reads 125'F for rare or 130'F for medium rare.
Cover loosely, LOOSELY, with tinfoil when it comes out. Just lay a flat piece over the roast, or don't cover at all. I don't like well cooked red meat and don't know the numbers for a more-cooked roast, sorry. The roast will come up a bit more in temperature over the next 15 minutes and will then be ready to plate and carve.

I serve it with shiitake gravy:
Re-hydrate 2 handfuls of dried shiitake and oyster mushrooms in half and half white vermouth and water, just enough to cover. When moistened, squeeze out excess liquid and reserve, and chop coarsely.
Finely chop 2-3 shallots.
To reserved mushroom vermouth juice, add some concentrated beef stock and bring volume to ~2 cups with more water. Whisk.
Saute shallot and mushroom in a HEAVY saucepan with 2 tablespoons of butter. When they start to brown, add another 2 tbsp butter or roast drippings and shake in enough flour to partially coat the mushrooms. Continue to stir and scrape the pan for another minute or two to cook the flour, then add mushroom juice and whisk until smooth. Cook until thickened, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Other accompaniments that are good with this meal are wild rice, a Yorkshire pudding, and steamed asparagus with lemon butter.

Excellent recipe! Next time try it with medalions and pino-noir wine after searing all sides, it's to die for!!!

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Back from vacation

Back from vacation

Well, looks like the cannabis forum beachfront property of yore has lost some acreage to the shifting tides of e-commerce, and this was the first thread that hit on a Google search for my own ghost.
I'm dragging my older and wiser (and perhaps thiccer) butt out of early retirement. What have I been doing all this time?
Cooking, duh! And putting in a lot of overtime... but I digress :)
I'm gonna leave y'all with last night's dinner just to keep this antique thread alive while I wait for the mailman to bring me some beans from Ontario. It's a simple one.
Butterfly and flatten a couple chicken breasts. Rub with garlic, salt, and pepper and sear to rare on a cast iron skillet. Set aside.
Quickly blanch a whole mess of green beans. Set aside.
Rehydrate 1 tbsp each dried celery and carrot flakes in a tiny bit of white wine or vermouth, squeeze out excess liquid and set aside... or just use a carrot and a celery stick, minced very fine. Mince 2 shallots. Yes this is a mirepoix. Sorta. Smash 3 cloves garlic, but don't chop them.
Gently sweat all of the above in 1tbsp each butter and olive oil until nearly dry and fragrant. Add a pinch each oregano and rosemary.
Turn up heat.
Chop green beans and chicken to bite size pieces.
Put chicken in first, saute quickly until pink is gone. Add beans and toss to just heat through.
Sprinkle with reserved wine, taste for salt, serve right away.
Oh shoot! I cant upload images directly. Ok have to remember how this works. Not tonight though... anyway there's a recipe for some easy comfort food.
Cheers!

This recipe will come in handy for our family grill parties! Been a trying some "experiments" with my cooking (grilling, especially) so I do miz a lot of stuff I see with different cooking methods. Excited to try this one, although I'd add the bacom much later as it might burn quite easily on the grill. I'll try adding woodchips on my grill too to give it a smoky aroma! Saw a trick in this article, and I got curious! just imaginig the grilled meat afterwards got me all droolin'.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you SA, for sharing,,
Just been looking at the pics with my wife,,,
Very mouthwatering,,,
She asked me to ask you,,, does the bacon effect the taste of the steak? Or gives the steak a more “ smoky” taste?,,,s2

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Excited to try this one, although I'd add the bacom much later as it might burn quite easily on the grill. I'll try adding woodchips on my grill too to give it a smoky aroma! Saw a trick in this article, and I got curious! just imaginig the grilled meat afterwards got me all droolin'.
The bacon keeps it from drying out and if I were to do this on a grill, I'duse the same method I use for a Boston butt, which is set the far left burner to very low, put the meat allllll the way on the other end of the grill, leave the rest of the burners off. Nothing burns. And you can put a smoker box or tuna can covered with foil full of wood chips over the lit burner if you want smoke. A pork butt takes 6-10 hours like this, a roast as shown will probably be a or less.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Thank you SA, for sharing,,
Just been looking at the pics with my wife,,,
Very mouthwatering,,,
She asked me to ask you,,, does the bacon effect the taste of the steak? Or gives the steak a more “ smoky” taste?,,,s2
You can tell that it was hanging out with bacon : ) there is that hint of smoky baconness, and it adds richness to the herb paste layer, and provides an ideal grease for the potatoes to cook in if you toss them in the drippings periodically. But it is not overpowering, which is nice.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So Stinky, it would appear you and I share a passion for good food.

I'll have to drop a few recipes in here.

But I do have a slightly off topic question for you re: kitchen knives. Specifically what brand do you like, use, and lust after?

Welcome back Her Dankness M.I.A.

Of all of them "stinkyattic" contributions the ghost of them all is a Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin - WTF? One day Google will give us all the worst of eulogies at this rate. I know that a lot more than just random information disappeared from this site, but it is a little overwhelming and a loss..

Anyway, it's good to see you are well and fine Her Dankness 😍

Latest posts

Latest posts