What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water droplets on leaves can burn?

brown_thumb

I hear and read this all the time... water droplets on leaves form lenses so direct light can burn spots under the droplets. If this is true then what happens when it rains and the bright sun emerges from behind the clouds? I've never seen any burn spots on leaves that weren't caused by chemicals or nutrients.

I wood

More stoner bullshit that just won't fade away.
In thirty years I've yet to see this with my own eyes.

brown_thumb

It's not just stoners... many other gardeners repeat the same thing. Sometimes a bit of nonsense is started and it grows into an urban myth that lasts for many decades. What vexes me is the complete lack of logic even when the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming.

St. Phatty

Gives me an idea though.

We could use a magnifying glass - on a nice dried bud - to make some smoke. :woohoo:

Anybody ever tried that ?

Betterhaff

Veteran
Think about the physics and the scenario. If you lay a magnifying glass on a leaf in sunlight, what happens? Nothing except you get a little more intense glow in the field of the glass. Now if you lift the magnifier a few inches and find the proper angle, the light is focused and/or concentrated enough to cause burning, maybe even combustion. Does this happen with raindrops? I suppose it could if they were somehow suspended above enough and the proper angle achieved but that scenario is probably a very rare event.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Think about the physics and the scenario. If you lay a magnifying glass on a leaf in sunlight, what happens? Nothing except you get a little more intense glow in the field of the glass. Now if you lift the magnifier a few inches and find the proper angle, the light is focused and/or concentrated enough to cause burning, maybe even combustion. Does this happen with raindrops? I suppose it could if they were somehow suspended above enough and the proper angle achieved but that scenario is probably a very rare event.

Yup..... this is called the focal distance... its impossible for a drop of pure water to cause a burn....

However.... and likely where the tale comes from....if you put a drop of water with fertilizer in it.....that can cause a burn.... but not in the way you might think....

as the drop dries up the fertilizer becomes less dilute...less water and eventually the drop can burn the plant......:tiphat:

fertilizer burn....not magnification burn.....

brown_thumb

Yup..... this is called the focal distance... its impossible for a drop of pure water to cause a burn....

However.... and likely where the tale comes from....if you put a drop of water with fertilizer in it.....that can cause a burn.... but not in the way you might think....

as the drop dries up the fertilizer becomes less dilute...less water and eventually the drop can burn the plant......:tiphat:

fertilizer burn....not magnification burn.....

I was told by a retailer that I burned my plants after foliar treatment with neem oil. He said it's a photo-induced chemical burn, not a focused light burn. My assumption is, situations similar to this is where this 'wife's tale' began. And, like many other wives' tails, it's repeated over and over again until it becomes 'known fact'. It's NOT a fact but rather a misrepresentation of a DIFFERENT truth. It's not a focused water-lens burn... it's the stuff IN the water reacting with light, heat and plant leaves.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I was told by a retailer that I burned my plants after foliar treatment with neem oil. He said it's a photo-induced chemical burn, not a focused light burn. My assumption is, situations similar to this is where this 'wife's tale' began. And, like many other wives' tails, it's repeated over and over again until it becomes 'known fact'. It's NOT a fact but rather a misrepresentation of a DIFFERENT truth. It's not a focused water-lens burn... it's the stuff IN the water reacting with light, heat and plant leaves.

Kinda funny story.... There is a sick plants thread done by someone by the name of My Name Stitch..... she had a book published and all....

well when we were both on Overgrow we had a big argument on this topic..... it took me a few shots before I could convince her......

Actually I helped her with some of the pictures she used in both her book and the thread....however some of the pictures she used were because they looked like a certain condition ...... not that the deficiency actually caused the condition....

I tell folks you are better off going to Canna Usa and using their sick plant guide than hers....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Hairy leaves
But what about the hairy plants? The leaves have hairs that are 'hydrophobic' or 'water-hating'. Under the right circumstances, these hairs could catch a water droplet and keep it suspended at the right distance above the leaf, to allow the focus point of the sunlight to land on the surface of the leaf. Because the water was not in contact with the leaf, there was no cooling effect. And the hairs, being water-hating, would repel the water, and so keep it spherical — the best shape to focus the sunlight.

But the hairs hate water, and the merest breath of wind would shake the droplets off. The smaller droplets were better at focusing the heat — but being smaller, they would also evaporate very quickly.

Even so, the scientists did sometimes see scorch marks produced by water droplets on hairy leaves.

How did this 'don't-water-plants-at-midday' story arise? Who knows?

But you'd think that after half-a-billion years of bio-evolution, plants (which have adapted to every conceivable ecological niche) would have learnt to deal with a little rain ...

brown_thumb

Hairy leaves
But what about the hairy plants? The leaves have hairs that are 'hydrophobic' or 'water-hating'. Under the right circumstances, these hairs could catch a water droplet and keep it suspended at the right distance above the leaf, to allow the focus point of the sunlight to land on the surface of the leaf. Because the water was not in contact with the leaf, there was no cooling effect. And the hairs, being water-hating, would repel the water, and so keep it spherical — the best shape to focus the sunlight.

But the hairs hate water, and the merest breath of wind would shake the droplets off. The smaller droplets were better at focusing the heat — but being smaller, they would also evaporate very quickly.

Even so, the scientists did sometimes see scorch marks produced by water droplets on hairy leaves.

How did this 'don't-water-plants-at-midday' story arise? Who knows?

But you'd think that after half-a-billion years of bio-evolution, plants (which have adapted to every conceivable ecological niche) would have learnt to deal with a little rain ...

My point precisely!!:)

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran

While I still have subscription to Scientific American (since 1987) the quality of the magazine dropped dramatically in the 2000's.
This is an example of their deterioration.

No terrestrial (land) plants were shown to have ever been burned by sun on water.
One marine plant held spherical water drops in the air above the leaf surface and damage was found.
One plant. Not a land plant, no land plants could hold spherical water drops at the correct distance, not one.

As an analogy, water is poison and will kill if consumed in large quantity. Not a realistic problem, kinda on the same shelf as droplet burns on leaves.
It is NOT going to happen in the real world.

Gry

Threw my tv out 20 years ago over what they did to nova.
Integrity is the good stuff.

Latest posts

Latest posts