What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mother Earth coco/perlite mix, thoughts?

Didnt find any recent posts about Mother Earth coco. Trying to see if its worth the money or not. 50L 70%coco 30%perlite premixed... Thoughts?

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I used it and didn't have any issues with it. I mixed in a bit more coco so I wouldn't have to water/feed as often.

-Funk

coooper

Picked a couple bags up at the local hydro store per recommendation of the worker on his favorite coco they carry.. havent tried it yet though. Not the premixed either.

Anyone sterilize it before?? Got some from local hydro store said it was good stuff.. my friend just went in there talked to a different guy and he said a couple people said they seen mound in that brand before to be careful... now I’m sitting with 11x50L bags and not sure what to do lol... should I just run boiling water through it? Would that kill off anything like mould?? I also have stuff like hydroguard and Plant therapy I could do a whole drench on it? Thoughts?? Ideas??

J-Icky

Boiling water and letting it soak in that for an hour should kill any mold. But you must maintain a high temp for at least 15 min for it to be truly effective.
Just remember after you would soak it, it would be a good idea to give it another light charge with calmag.

Boiling water and letting it soak in that for an hour should kill any mold. But you must maintain a high temp for at least 15 min for it to be truly effective.
Just remember after you would soak it, it would be a good idea to give it another light charge with calmag.

What kind of ratio per gal of water should I add? Just what bottle says?

J-Icky

I used bricked coco and always rinse the crap out of it and then charge it myself. So I can’t eeally speak on what would work best for a precharged bag of “fluffed” coco.
But what I do is put enough water in with the coco so that the coco moves freely around in the water and then add calmag at 3-4x the recommended amount per gallon and leave it to soak for 24 hrs stirring it at least 4-5 times. Then I just pour the coco soup into a fabric pot big enough to hold all the coco and squeeze as much water out as I can before using it. My reasoning may be flawed, but I want to make sure there’s enough cal and mag to knock off all the sodium and potassium charges and leaving it for 24 hours is just me making sure it has time to do the chemistry it needs to do.
But that’s just how I do it and like I said my rationale may be flawed. But I haven’t had any issues doing it this way so far either.

Last time I put coco into a 5gal bucket let it soak a little, then I poured the coco soup into another 5gal bucket that has holes in bottom and have that bucket in another 5gal so it has something to drain in. Once it empties I would then just put the 5gal bucket with coco sit a top a milk crate and just let hose sit and wash it for a bit. But like I said that was with brick so idk lol I needed the original bath to break it up

Latest posts

Latest posts