What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Got a question about butane--

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Ok, I will risk looking like an idiot, but I was wondering about residual butane--
Ppl keep talking about underpurged stuff, I'm not talking runny bullshit...but good looking taffy, or wax...that MAY have some minuscule amount left in it--
My question being, when you take your dab, that shit is burning VERY hot....does this not burn off any residual butane, and seeing as the byproduct of butane is simply co2 and h2o...how is it harmful??
I'm sure there will be some heated discussions about this, but I am hoping for some of you "scientific mentors" to clear this up-- :tiphat:

vertigo0007

According to the hightimes cup doctors panel, residual butane is of no concern at all. I disagree, but thats the claim. According to them, its concentrations of products that may have been sprayed or used on the plants that are, accordimg to them, our only concern. Its amazing what a hightimes doctor will tell you. Kinda like the "SMOKING cannabis cures cancer" lie.

Kushed_

My question being, when you take your dab, that shit is burning VERY hot....does this not burn off any residual butane, and seeing as the byproduct of butane is simply co2 and h2o...how is it harmful??
:tiphat:

I think you get more from a bic lighter in one stroke of the flint, than you would get dabbing good product all day.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, I will risk looking like an idiot, but I was wondering about residual butane--
Ppl keep talking about underpurged stuff, I'm not talking runny bullshit...but good looking taffy, or wax...that MAY have some minuscule amount left in it--
I'm sure there will be some heated discussions about this, but I am hoping for some of you "scientific mentors" to clear this up-- :tiphat:

If you are dabbing at the correct temperature, the residual butane goes off as butane. It is only when you get it hot enough to oxidize that it breaks down into CO2 and water vapor.

Butane is just carbon and hydrogen, so it is of low toxity, and the MSDS gives the following:

ACGIH TLV (United States, 2/2010).
TWA: 1000 ppm 8 hour(s).
NIOSH REL (United States, 6/2009).
TWA: 1900 mg/m³ 10 hour(s).
TWA: 800 ppm 10 hour(s).
OSHA PEL 1989 (United States, 3/1989).
TWA: 1900 mg/m³ 8 hour(s).
TWA: 800 ppm 8 hour(s).

It is a simple asphixiant and is not a known carcinogen, mutgagen, or teratogen. The above levels required to be of concern, clearly demonstrate that the residuals likely found in a BHO are not toxic, but more of a nuisance from a taste and smell standpoint.

Even the taste and smell profile is low enough that they use butane as a propellent in some food containers.

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
good point GW never though of those , used in food propellent....
so is butane purged IYO the safest solvent to use for vapourizing dabs....
Im planning on taking it to the next level by winterizing with 190 proof everclear,once I can source some,....
TS

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good point GW never though of those , used in food propellent....
so is butane purged IYO the safest solvent to use for vapourizing dabs....
Im planning on taking it to the next level by winterizing with 190 proof everclear,once I can source some,....
TS

IMO, purged butane is safe to use and one of the easiest to make a pristine extraction with, especially in conjuntion with ethanol winterization.

Hexane makes a prettier extraction with less attention to detail, but is time consuming to properly purge and more expensive.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
If you are dabbing at the correct temperature, the residual butane goes off as butane. It is only when you get it hot enough to oxidize that it breaks down into CO2 and water vapor.

Firstly, thank you for your clear and concise answers--:tiphat:

What would be the proper temps for dabs?? Haha...I heat my nail up red hot with my torch (Map gas)...I had never considered there being a "too hot"--

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Firstly, thank you for your clear and concise answers--:tiphat:

What would be the proper temps for dabs?? Haha...I heat my nail up red hot with my torch (Map gas)...I had never considered there being a "too hot"--

I heat mine until it is red, and then let it cool just below red. It won't ignite at that temperature.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
if one has a smaller to medium sized dab a dabbing metal can be allowed to cool for quite a bit after redness has vanished. if you havent tried dabbing a bit cooler, try it till you find the edge. cooler dabs are much smoother.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if one has a smaller to medium sized dab a dabbing metal can be allowed to cool for quite a bit after redness has vanished. if you havent tried dabbing a bit cooler, try it till you find the edge. cooler dabs are much smoother.

The edge is when you experience pooling, in addition to vaporization.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
if you dabbed too cool, or just like to dab really cool, an aid to getting it to all vaporize is to pull hard on your inhale, and also spread it really vigorously with the dabber the whole time.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Thanks for the tips on dabbing cooler!!
The reason for me asking this stuff, is I just got diagnosed with COPD, so I quit smoking ciggs, bought a Volcano to start vaping at least part of my weed...and I wanted to find out just how bad dabs might be because of butane-- It seems that the butane is a minimal risk tho-- Now, I just have to learn to take smaller dabs...haha!! :tiphat:

Kushed_

Thanks for the tips on dabbing cooler!!
The reason for me asking this stuff, is I just got diagnosed with COPD, so I quit smoking ciggs, bought a Volcano to start vaping at least part of my weed...and I wanted to find out just how bad dabs might be because of butane-- It seems that the butane is a minimal risk tho-- Now, I just have to learn to take smaller dabs...haha!! :tiphat:

I did not smoke cigs, but I would smoke at least a pound of high grade cannabis, joint-by-joint per year. I used Bic lighters. I never liked edibles, tinctures, etc. My breathing suffered.

Now I only use tincture, edibles, vaporize concentrates, and quit sucking down butane from the Bic. I also use a Hakko (ceramic-tipped soldering iron) to vape ice water hash on a glass nail.

My fav cocktail is two dabs and a spoonful of tincture (I used Gray Wolf's recipe).

I feel great!

Mr_Grimbo

We did two runs of BHO from the same trim (wheelchair) the first one I heated till it was stiff and pretty much stopped bubbling.. We coughed like crazy through the whole thing. The next batch we purged for over an hour at about 140F until the tiny little bubbles stopped coming all together. It was a lot smoother in the same rig.

Mr. Grimbo

butane is not a problem..the problem could be mercaptanes and other shit dissolved in butane,plant waxes..pesticides or other shit..! butane is good! :D