What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fluorescent Lighting Comparison & Maximising Your Lumens

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Intro

This thread aims to loosely compare lumen output in the various fluorescent lighting systems, and later I will cover the issue of temperature vs lumen output. I've brought this up a few times and people seem quite surprised, so it deserves some coverage. Strangely, it was mentioned in one of Hydro-Soil's first pll threads, I think knna raised it. But I sort of forgot about it and recently rediscovered the importance of maintaining the correct temperature for maximum lumen output.

I will try to keep it simple as possible and I must note - I'm no brainiac. I am not a lighting expert and a lot of my opinions here-in are based only on what I've read. By all means, point out any inconsistencies, please. I haven't used every type of lighting so figures is all I can go off. Use this as a starting point, or a continuation point for your own research.

Also, some of the information was pretty hard to find and as such, may be outdated, but generally it seems on the level to me. In particular, some stuff is from Advanced Lighting Guidelines (1993) (download button top left) which has since been updated to a 2009 version. If anyone has the 2009 version, I would be very grateful for a link or PM, thanks.

Pl-l is briefly covered in there - who knew that they've been around since (pre?) 1993?! lol...17 years? This leads me onto the next point - it was hard enough finding this data for regular fluoros, so pl-l won't be covered much. It's covered elsewhere and suffice to say that it's the best overall. This is mostly a best-of-the-rest.

Finally...."lumens". As we all know, they aren't the most accurate measurement for actually growing plants. It's the best way we have though, and I think it's fair enough to compare fluorescent lights as a group, via their lumens. No arguing or the ninja throwing stars come out. :) Rightio then, glad we're all agreed!

Lumens Per Watt

Different fluorescent lighting will have varying lumens per watt. In my opinion, this is the single most important figure in choosing a lighting system. The main reason is to do with efficiency which is to do with heat. I'm not a master of all the terms like efficacy etc so this is laymen's language.

Now, first we must cover the idea of energy. I don't know how well you remember school - I was pretty high and didn't pay much attention to the stuff that is now important to me! But little bits float back into memory. Like, energy isn't magic. It can't just appear or disappear to thin air. It is just there, and changes form, I guess you could say. So if the energy is coming down the line, it's there, and it's not going to disappear, it's going to change form to some other kind of energy.

So we have X amount of power coming down our wires and into our grow lights. This gets broken into two basic forms - useful energy, and wasted energy. If we look at an electric heater - it's energy get's broken up this way too. Everything does. But the heater is designed to put out heat. So any heat it gives off is useful energy. See the bars of the heater glowing? That is light - which in this case, is wasted energy.

In lights, this division is the complete opposite. Light output is looked at as our useful energy, and heat is wasted energy, because we only want the light. The excess energy can also be shown as an electromagnetic field, but that's out of my scope. A proper setup aims to avoid electromagnetic fields so I think we can say the bulk of it is shown as heat. Otherwise it's unknown to me how much of a factor that is exactly. I just presume it's mostly heat.

Sort of summarisation

Thusly and so forth and whatnot, this means that a light with a higher lumen per watt rating is putting out more light, and less heat - just what we want. Gosh, it's all so simple now isn't it? Well, as usual, no it frigging isn't so I have to type another gotdamn book's worth to explain that!

Most people when calculating lumens per watt will take the "initial lumens" rating, and divide it by the "real wattage". I do this myself and quite often these are the only numbers available to us. The problem with this is that we have the "equivalent wattage" that everyone knows to ignore, and what everyone calls "real or true or actual wattage", but then there is another wattage, which is actually realer and truer than all those who stood before.

This is the wattage that one should use in lumen per watt calculations for a more accurate representation of heat vs light. I would like to present to you the following webpage with a great breakdown of everything we need to know in a general outline stylee. Click.

Now, I'm not dead certain how to read this, but I take it as the wattage on the right column is the real-world wattage which I just referred to. The right hand lumens is a real-world measurement of it with a reflector/luminaire. Would we all agree? I hope so because then I can say that the LPW listed is, for most of us, a very accurate indication of the true lumens per watt, versus using the left hand columns.

Now, this kind of data isn't easily available for all lights. We want to keep things simple and we all smoke a lot of weed, so by all means, I think using the traditional lumens divided by the so called "real" wattage is a close enough indication for most people, however I just wanted to cover that for people interested in a more accurate figure. If I'm even reading it right, lulz ;)

You will notice the CFLs have both magnetic and electronic Type ballasts. This obviously has a great impact on things as shown by the figures. This explains the inconsistencies found regarding heat output between varying CFLs. If anyone remembers Grouchy's dissection of a CFL, I would assume that was an electronic ballasted CFL, explaining the low heat savings from remoting the ballast.

It also explains that, in general, CFLs are not easier to cool than other fluoros. Here is a further chart comparing lights on a wider scale to close this party down:

picture.php

Right then.

How to get the most out of your fluoro lumens

It's important to be aware that your fluoro's lumen output is dependant on a few things, but I will talk about ambient heat. It's very easy to suffer a large lumen loss if the temps are not in range. Each fluoro style can have a different optimal temp.

Lets cover PLL first:

• PLL

1.2.1 Cold-spot technology (pdf)

The luminous flux of the MASTER PL-L lamp is governed by the temperature of the coldest spot in the discharge tube. In the base-up and horizontal burning position the so-called cold-spot is located at the lamp head. In the base-down burning position the cold-spot is located inside the lamp base (cannot be measured). The maximum light output is reached at a cold-spot temperature of 45 °- 50 °C, corresponding to a lamp ambient temperature of about 25 °C. At lower and at higher cold-spot temperatures the luminous flux decreases. For a cold-spot temperature between about 32 °C and 72 °C the luminous flux will be greater than or equal to 80% of its optimum. Cold-spot temperatures > 72 °C can occur in completely closed, compact luminaires. Cold-spot temperatures < 32 °C can occur in luminaires which are excessively ventilated and/or at low ambient temperatures. A luminous flux lower than 80% of the optimum can lead to slight changes in light colour.
Take what you want from that but in the interests of keeping things simple, lets focus on the ambient temp around the bulb tip (horizontal orientation). We can't measure the cold spot ourselves as it's inside the bulb. So here is the chart for the ambient temp:

picture.php

Flip back to the last quote. Remember this bit?

(loss) can occur in
luminaires which are excessively ventilated and/or at low ambient temperatures.
So, keep this in mind when designing your cab. It's not hard to picture a situation where one loses a lot of lumens due to poor heat management, be it too much cooling, or not enough. Same goes for the other lights and here they are...

• CFL

picture.php

• T-5 / T-5 HO / T-8 (T-12 is the same as T-8)

picture.php

• T5HO & T5VHO (not sure if all T5VHO perform like this, I just found it in a pdf for a specific bulb from Philips)

picture.php

• Summary of optimal lumen temps

PLL - 25º C - 77º f
CFL - 25º C - 77º f
T8 & T12 - 25º C - 77º f
T5 & T5HO - 35º C - 95º f

See anything standing out? That's right - I've got a boner from talking about fluoros so much, I apologise. But also, the T5s need significantly higher heat to achieve their rated lumens. I did say in the pll club that T5s are a poor choice for growing for this reason. I take it back, but only in part. Ultimately it depends on the specific setup. I think the important thing is to just know the differences, and work with them so they work in your favour.

Makes sense? I hope it helps maximise your chosen lights.

DSCF50651.JPG

Smoke weed every day. Peace. :tiphat:

Last edited:
do the t5s need to be in 95 degree ambient temps or does that mean the temperature of the bulb needs to be 95?

and do the mfr. ratings come from a room temperature environment? like 76?

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Awesome work there brother scrubz, just what the peeps here in micro needed for sure. I can see a sticky coming up. Well done mate.

Peace an Respects

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks chaps!

M-saur, yes, it's the ambient temp around the bulbs as was noted, not bulb temp itself. I tried to keep the info relating to that, but it's inside the bulb that really counts. You and I can't measure inside the bulb so that is why they give the ambient temps to take note of.

Keen eye to notice the measurement temp, I did spot that in there somewhere however I would think that is old info. I mean, why would you do that when the light is designed for higher temps? Can you imagine how many lumens a t5 would be putting out optimally if it was measured at such an inefficient zone? Just not possible imo, but like I said, I'm not a lighting expert! I would appreciate if we could discuss it and find a definite answer, but that is my half assed one.

i am so confused by all of this, let me read through it again, but can u explaine in lamens, LAMENS terms, why pl-l are better than cfl's? because i believe pl-l's arent readily available to one such as myself, with only canadian tire, and rona to go from, and due to my limited space, i couldent hang something wider than so many inches, scrubalub u know how small my area is.

in conclusion, whats the best lights for me? because ive just been screwing spare cfl's into my outlets, and i could fit any spiral cfl in there i can find...

christoph.

leflll

Can anyone please help? I want to get 3 or 4 55watt dual tube PLL lights. I know where to get bulbs need help with ballast and fixture. Please help cant wait to start my grow

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Christoph, sorry mate, being brief is not my forte. But underlying all that is a very simple principle: more lumens per watt = more light, and less heat. That is breaking it down to one sentence. Therefore the best fluoro system for you is the one with highest lumens per watt that will fit in.

leflll, please ask on the pll club thread, or just read it and get an instant answer. Good luck.

and do the mfr. ratings come from a room temperature environment? like 76?

Things are a little hectic today but I will try to find the info about the measuring temp or if someone has it in front of them, please post it up and mention where it came from. It's a very good point to raise and could well scupper the whole thread, lol. But I'm pretty certain they measure the lights at peak output temp these days. All on-topic discussion is welcome. Thanks.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I really like my 8 bulb T5 HO set up works great.:smoweed:

Last edited:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Cristoph, sorry to be bitchy but I didn't call it the "Where to get PL-Ls" thread, gnome sayin'? If you ask on your thread, my grow thread, the pll club, or start your own thread, I would be happy to help all day long. You can even read the PLL Club thread and your exact answer is right there waiting for you, posted many times, over and over, because that is what that thread is for. It took me a lot of time to type this up and my only request is that it stays on topic, at least for a page or two. Glad you found it helpful, and thank you for understanding.

Anyway, here is some information regarding which temperature the lumen rating for T5 is taken at. As I thought, it's measured at 35º f.

The T5 lamp is also designed to operate at 35°C and increases in output in a luminaire without too much ventilation. Yet, unlike any other fluorescent lamp in North America, the rated lamp lumens are being published as 5000 lumens (at 35°C, the small print confesses), not as 4650 lumens (at 25°C).

It's an interesting read and they also note that T5 manufacturers exploit the same issue in reverse, using 25ºC to calculate the efficiency.

In regards to ambient temp (ambient bulb temp, I think I called it), I found the following while looking for the other info. (hover mouse over "ambient temperature" to see it in full)

For purposes of lamp/ballast tests, ambient temperature is measured at a point no more than 1 meter (3.3 feet) from the lamp and at the same height as the lamp.

That article is only really referring to T5 & T8. For PLL read the pdf, link in first quote box in post #1. I think they cover it in detail there for PLL.

No problem Hashy, and T5 growers, I love your lights too :D Any light that grows weed is a good light to grow weed with, in my books. :tiphat:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.ahsupply.com/index.html is a good place and htgsupply.com? i guess it is?
as far as cfls, 26 watts as i am using are efficient as are 42 watts. i think the higher wattage cfl such as 125 watts are quite a bit less efficient.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yeah generally around 23w to 42w seems to be best for CFL lpw. Tends to drop off either side. Some of those high wattage "grow" CFLs are the worst of the lot - 125w etc.

Once you settle on a bulb, check out it's specific specs for yourself before purchase. There are a lot of discrepancies, different ballast types, etc, that may not line up with these guides.

The single biggest danger in buying a CFL imo is straight up getting lied to. There is not much standardisation in CFLs it seems. Kind of like the T5 thing, but worse. I've seen on another forum some of the wattages were tested and they were completely made up. I would say stick to common reputable brands - Philips, Osram, and so forth.

Another note - there are specialty CFLs and T5s and probably other lights that don't follow the ambient temp rule exactly as I outlined. They have different stuff inside which affects the optimal operating temperature.

And also while I think of it, the stuff about ambient bulb temp? Well the same goes for ballast temps too - this can affect the efficiency of your system. There are too many ballasts lol, so just research your particular ballast if interested.

Christoph, quite alright my man, sorry if I jumped at you.

Hey Ninja! - Kudos for jumping into this snake pit! With a bit of luck we may all come out the other end of this thread a little smarter and hopefully, better growers. As you’ve started to illustrate, there are a LOT of variables, misunderstandings, and downright fabrications in the fluorescent business. It’s going to be a wild ride!

First, where I’m coming from. I’m guilty. I love fluorescent. Will HPS grow better plants? Maybe, maybe not. Its often situation dependent. If you grow trees using 10,000 watts, HPS is undoubtedly best. But for modest scale personal grows, especially combined with scrog where the uniform light canopy of fluorescent can really “shine”, I think fluorescent can give HPS a run for its money. I use both and switch back and forth, but I’m in love with fluorescent. Maybe it’s the way they make the plants look or maybe its just that beautiful wall of light delivered by a big fat bank of T-8s or T-5s. Wowza!

A couple notes. I usually only consider initial lumens because I replace tubes every 12-18 months (4,400-6,600 hours). Since these things usually have lives between 10,000 and 30,000 hours, often with better than 95% lumen maintenance, I figure I’m always on the high end of the lumen curve. Also, I think there are still end-of-life concerns with PLL varieties that are best avoided.

The other note is, as you’ve discussed in another thread, a GOOD reflector is probably more valuable than anything else you can do to improve fluorescent performance. This is why I prefer linear T-5s over PLLs (though I use both). Its just easier to get full light utilization from a single linear tube. The close spaced twin PLL tubes waste a good fraction of the light produced in the dead space between the tubes.

How come you don't hear people talkin more about Low Pressure Sodium lamps? They sound like they're okay on the high end for efficiency.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Red Bull, I think it's to do with the spectrum they put out, so those lumens score low in PAR and don't grow plants so good. Could be wrong.

Great post CactusJack. I agree the dual tube design is a negative in most cases. It still works out fine for, say, a PC case, because they are just squeezing as many tubes in as will physically fit most of the time. But, I agree a single tube is best for light distribution.

I must say, I wasn't aware of pll end of life issues. Could you elaborate please? Also agreed on HPS being the best choice (if it fits). I'm just plain addicted to fluoros :) Happy grows.

PPL end of life issues

PPL end of life issues

Ninja - Glad you asked! It's been a while since I read the warning on a Sylvania product sheet so I went back and dug it up. Turns out the warning is generic to all small diameter fluorescent tubes T5 and smaller, linear and PPL! Here's the quote:

"There is a NEMA supported, industry issue where T2, T4, and T5 fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamps operated on high frequency ballasts may experience an abnormal end-of-life phenomenon. This end-of-life phenomenon can result in one or both of the following: 1. Bulb wall cracking near the lamp base. 2. The lamp can overheat in the base area and possibly melt the base and socket. NEMA recommends that high frequency compact fluorescent ballasts have an end-of-life shutdown circuit which will safely and reliably shut down the system in the rare event of an abnormal end-of-life failure mode described above. The final requirements of this system are yet to be defined by ANSI. For additional information refer to NEMA papers on their WEBSITE at www.NEMA.org."​

Going to the NEMA site I found the relevant paper dated 1998 (registration is required, but its free). Its all related to higher heat generated at the ends of small diameter tubes. Their recommendation, as stated in the above quote is to use ballasts with end of life shutdown circuits. Seeing as how it was written in 1998, I suspect that it is industry standard these days, but I'm going to check my ballasts to be sure. Till then I'm sticking with my habit of replacing tubes once a year.

Latest posts

Latest posts