What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guarding clone only strains

cannigrow

With all the chemdawg strains receiving a lot of coverage in the past year or so, and the MA SS thread, I was wondering something -

What is the rationale for so closely guarding, and not sharing some of these strains, especially after almost two decades?

as Rez said in the Chemdog D thread:

"Anybody who thinks that keeping clones close,ie. not sharing them freely,has probably never suffered through midnight load-outs,and the amazing things we've done to insure that our Parent Stock remains viable.
These plants are prized,and it's simply unfair to call names or make judgements based on personal opinions,when the whole,decades-long story isn't even known."

Wouldn't passing them out, or making crosses ensure that these genetics DONT get lost in those events? It's still hard to understand why people guard them so fiercely after hoarding strains for 15 years. It's not like their value will decrease. I can't imagine any negative effects of passing them out, sharing, etc. We all know where they came from originally.

From what I can tell, Personal Pride and Ego are the only things holding some of these strains back after this long. Period. There are numerous medical patients, and conneseurs who would appreciate Chemdogs work. Plus I know that owners of these elites have other strains that we haven't even heard of or seen that are even better...

Why not at least develop a hybrid if your strain is too good to share with the rest of us?

G

chemdog recently announced that he is currently working on a chemdawg seed line. he probably doesnt want anyone to release a seed line before him which makes perfectly good sense.

as far as other elites go though, im with you. i cant see how hording something can be beneficial at all in the long run. even if you are a commercial grower andyou distribute clones to other growers, you will still be able to make a shitload of money selling your product. non-growers will still have to pay to get it.

when clones are kept by a small circle of growers, the emergence of fakes occurs. how many og kushes are there now?

cannigrow

If Chemdog plans to develop his own seed line, that's the best news I've heard in a long time. I think if he did, or some other reputible owner of the strain did so, that there wouldnt' be as much confusion about "fakes" or variations emerging under the same name. Instead it would be trademarked, like Serious' Ak, or SOL Sweettooth...and there wouldn't be any doubt. Plus, people can still make their money via seed sales, and still have their prized smoke...

I think Trigger summed it up though. selfishness, pride, ego.

Just imagine if Colby never shared his line of pit bulls, or if Edison never shared electricity with us because of the simple fact that they found out about these things. What does that do to preserve an extraordinary example of something in the event that something bad happens?

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I personally think it stems from 2 things. Ego being #1, assholes getting a big dick complex from their strains. instead of sharing the great genes they have they wanna brag on having better genes than everyone else.

and in my personal case from fear of misrepresentation. you know we all like different weed. I could spread around clones of molokai' frost to people that I know like those kinda highs and get great reports back. but I wouldn't give a cut of it to someone like rezdog. Not that I don't like rezdog but thats not the kinda weed he likes and if he was honest he'd give it a bad report. Whereas if I kept it between friends who like those kinda highs it would eventually become a legend. the sweet giggly native hawaiian. if the right people reviewed it that is. There are only so many cuts to give out and you gotta make them go to the right hands. if they kill the clone because they don't appreciate it I might as well have not even given it to them.

TheHashAssassin

money is a main reason. think about it on the extreme connosuer market level. if you are the ONLY souce for a certain strain of bud, then whoever wants that particulr example has to come to you or one of your associates, and pay whtever price you are asking, since they cannot get it anywhere else. Now if someone else gets ahold of that strain and starts pumping out tables of it too, do you thnk you are going to be able to keep your monopoly on that strai very long? do you think you will still get the BIG bucks for that strain like you did, when only you had it?

M

Mr. Nevermind

I agree on the Chemdog rez thing. If Chemdog is going to release a a seed line of a stran only he has had for years then i agree he should be the one to release it. However I have recieved clone only strains and beeen told not to give them out to anyone , to which i laughed at. Once something is in your hands noone can tell you what to do with it. Its like someone give you a CD to listen to with amazing music on it and the person saying " dont let anyone listen to it" thats just silly. But if you plan on doing beans its understandable. Other than that its silly. But thats my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. They are like assholes, everyones got one and they stink

Nevermind

G

I agree on not wanting people to rename and profit off your strains via seed lines etc, but I view most hoarders as children who wont leave their sandbox :bandit:

"The best way to save a cut is to give it away" - Aeric77

G

i dont understand why anyone would question capitalism in capitalist society

I am for sharing, but still, i know people dont owe me a cutting.

Last edited:

cannigrow

TheHashAssassin said:
money is a main reason. think about it on the extreme connosuer market level. if you are the ONLY souce for a certain strain of bud, then whoever wants that particulr example has to come to you or one of your associates, and pay whtever price you are asking, since they cannot get it anywhere else.

I understand what you're saying about supply vs demand, but from my experiences, there's a limited amount of people you would work with and there's always going to be a demand. It's not like they have command over the entire market and there's no way anyone could produce enough even if they did. These strains hold their worth in their taste and strength, and their value wouldn't decrese if they were more widely available.

Just like Sour Diesel goes for upwards 800/z in NY, it still goes for 400 or more just about everywhere else. Even the kids I know who mass produce it pump it out for 350/z ALL DAY LONG. When it comes to strains like these, there's no limit to the demand, only supply, and the supply has a LONG way to catch up.

I don't think money is the motivation factor. If it were, there would be a lot more chemdawg around than what I see.

TheHashAssassin

well, I dont know about in your neck of the woods, but its the motivation for hoarding strains where I live. theres a reason why there is only one person commercially growing the Tuna aka Lemon Kush in BC, it goes for $500 a canned oz, the only weed that fetches that much up here on the home market. do you think he could still get $500 an oz if everyone else was growing the Tuna too? Same goes for Pink Kush. it used to be hella rare, and cost $250+ an oz, now I can go almost anywhere and pay $200 a oz AT THE MOST.

cannigrow

If that's the motivating factor, and they haven't made enough after hoarding a strain for a decade or more, that's their fault. Plus, there's aways demand in the metro areas. Even if there were mass amounts of dawg/lemon kush or whatever being produced, and your main concern was profit, you could find the right people to get it to the market you want. Quality will always bring a nice profit, and I think a lot of the people hoarding elites simply do it b/c they feel special having something rare.

G

I don't want to come off like a dick here but if you develop your own strain than it's yours to do as you choose, you really don't have to share it with anyone and you are certainly entitled to any financial benefit before anyone else is. Anyone who knows Chemdog knows greedy he ain't, everyone may not have a cut but from what I read there are many that do and I'm sure CD is at the bottom of that generosity. Cut the man some slack and give him some time to make some seeds available.

-=WZ=-

cannigrow said:
With all the chemdawg strains receiving a lot of coverage in the past year or so, and the MA SS thread, I was wondering something -

What is the rationale for so closely guarding, and not sharing some of these strains, especially after almost two decades?

as Rez said in the Chemdog D thread:

"Anybody who thinks that keeping clones close,ie. not sharing them freely,has probably never suffered through midnight load-outs,and the amazing things we've done to insure that our Parent Stock remains viable.
These plants are prized,and it's simply unfair to call names or make judgements based on personal opinions,when the whole,decades-long story isn't even known."

Wouldn't passing them out, or making crosses ensure that these genetics DONT get lost in those events? It's still hard to understand why people guard them so fiercely after hoarding strains for 15 years. It's not like their value will decrease. I can't imagine any negative effects of passing them out, sharing, etc. We all know where they came from originally.

From what I can tell, Personal Pride and Ego are the only things holding some of these strains back after this long. Period. There are numerous medical patients, and conneseurs who would appreciate Chemdogs work. Plus I know that owners of these elites have other strains that we haven't even heard of or seen that are even better...

Why not at least develop a hybrid if your strain is too good to share with the rest of us?

It has nothing to do with greed.....I am not being a dick , but nobody owes you anything...Most of these people have spent there entire lives collecting genetics....There are people out there with a ton of money to , but just because they have a ton of money does not mean they owe it to you or me...I think people should gift clones to whoever they want....A lot of people dont just give out genetics , because they get in the hands of someone who only looks to profit of othr peoples work...

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
Regarding egos.... I guess you think this is a legal practice then? Yeah, let me just go around mailing stuff to a bunch of people I dont even know.... Yeah, I have all kinds of extra hours to make sure I have clean packages (clean of prints), drive around to different post offices, buy postage with cash at one location, drive to another.... All this takes time...

I have sent cuts to people and asked for nothing in return, several times, because someone was once gracious enough to tighten me up proper... actually the only thing I ask that they not reveal where they came from... people who have given me some props in pm, or just took the time to chat with no intentions on getting clones out of it. not some unknown jackyl that sends you a PM out of the blue asking for something you took a lot of risk to get yourself... offering to pay $1000 a cut. Hogwash, sounds like a NARC to me. if you are cool to folks, pay your dues (post pics that indicate you know what you are doing and the sender wouldnt be wasting their time even mailing you something), dont bellyache about why you dont get shit.... then I guarantee someone out there will help you out if you get to know one another....but 95% everything I have was picked up in person. Mailing clones is a risky business my friend and not something to be taken lightly.

And if someone asks me not to pass along a cherished cut.... I must respectfully obey that request. I consider it honor. Yes, owners some of the true tightly guarded elites like chemdawg and PI may have the desire to release hybrids of them at some point... and why should someone they dont even know get the chance to do this and undercut their intentions?

Regarding chemdog I am sure he is working on something like that for release, as he mentioned... you just have to give it some time for the work to be done....

Peace to All
m

G

this is not a "chemdog thread" last I checked the title is "guarding clone only strains", he just used chemdog as an example. if you breed a strain, you have full control over what happens with it.

sbaegis, I agree to a certain extent w/ what you're saying. and the last thing people should expect is for people that dont even know them to be willing to trade or hook it up. thats just not reasonable. however, thats not always what happens in these situations.. maybe just how YOU have experienced it.. I have met *a very few* very generous and real people in my life.. and I've met a fuckload of run of the mill greedy fuckers.. and I'm not talking about random people that post on the internet that I dont know and never will..

one might gladly give away all their genetics, just to know they could tear down and get them all back the next week if they wanted to..

steelers: just because you have elite strains doesnt mean you hoard them. I didnt see anyone pointing fingers at you. little defensive, eh? I would never trade clones with someone I met from the internet and didnt know anyways, so to even entertain those kinds of PMs with a response is just laughable. and if someone asks you not to pass it along, I totally understand that too.. like WZ said, your word is invaluable (or worthless) at your discretion.. I have given away cuts before (TW , bubba, PC) to a friend on condition he wouldnt give them or trade them away to X group (a large grp of people where I used to live).. setting guidelines is far from hoarding..

I would also never mail a clone.

you seem to have made several assumptions about what clone hoarding is, and I'm not sure I agree with any of them.. that being said good post and I agree with your points, just maybe not your definition of hoarding

Last edited:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
-=WZ=- said:
It has nothing to do with greed.....I am not being a dick , but nobody owes you anything...Most of these people have spent there entire lives collecting genetics....There are people out there with a ton of money to , but just because they have a ton of money does not mean they owe it to you or me...I think people should gift clones to whoever they want....A lot of people dont just give out genetics , because they get in the hands of someone who only looks to profit of othr peoples work...

Nail, hammer, head, =WZ=
Lots of unsavery people out there who would whore out your stuff in a New York minute to make a buck.

-=WZ=-

m.steelers said:
Regarding egos.... I guess you think this is a legal practice then? Yeah, let me just go around mailing stuff to a bunch of people I dont even know.... Yeah, I have all kinds of extra hours to make sure I have clean packages (clean of prints), drive around to different post offices, buy postage with cash at one location, drive to another.... All this takes time...

I have sent cuts to people and asked for nothing in return, several times, because someone was once gracious enough to tighten me up proper... actually the only thing I ask that they not reveal where they came from... people who have given me some props in pm, or just took the time to chat with no intentions on getting clones out of it. not some unknown jackyl that sends you a PM out of the blue asking for something you took a lot of risk to get yourself... offering to pay $1000 a cut. Hogwash, sounds like a NARC to me. if you are cool to folks, pay your dues (post pics that indicate you know what you are doing and the sender wouldnt be wasting their time even mailing you something), dont bellyache about why you dont get shit.... then I guarantee someone out there will help you out if you get to know one another....but 95% everything I have was picked up in person. Mailing clones is a risky business my friend and not something to be taken lightly.

And if someone asks me not to pass along a cherished cut.... I must respectfully obey that request. I consider it honor. Yes, owners some of the true tightly guarded elites like chemdawg and PI may have the desire to release hybrids of them at some point... and why should someone they dont even know get the chance to do this and undercut their intentions?

Regarding chemdog I am sure he is working on something like that for release, as he mentioned... you just have to give it some time for the work to be done....

Peace to All
m

Great post !!!!

G

steelers and zilla express my sentiments exactly. And nevermind, that statement truly show what kind of character you posess!!!