What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

*Newbie press*

nephrosis

Holy crap long time no see forum!!!

I have a nugsmasher mini and I feel i have Mastered pressing flower. I went on to try and press bubble hash but I had my first blowout and wanted to ask some PRO's the Q's.

I have made some bubble hash, I can roll it all into a ball and it sticks but its not wet anymore (temple balls). I do not own a dry freezer, yet, and I have personally never dried Bubble hash to make rosin, only to smoke.

I used a 37 micron bag and placed a temple ball inside, pressed to the corners and folded the bag over. I also placed this inside a 160 micron bag to hold it into place. I ended up pressing, albeit to hard i think, and i did have some bubble hash seep through the bag that did not turn into rosin (residue left on dabber like bubble hash) I had some rosin left on the parchment paper, but i also had a side where it looked like melted bubble hash seeped through either to pressure or blowout.

I need to know how you guys press bubble hash. I think im pressing too hard. How long do you heat up the bubble hash on plates before pressing?

Do you always do Light pressure for bubble hash? I do full pressure for flower. Can I even press Temple balls?

Buying a freeze dryer for future runs.

redlaser

Veteran
At 160 degrees with a 90u bag gets good results for me, with the 37+ enough pressure I can see blowouts happening. I get blowouts when it’s pressed too hard or fast.

Best way seems to be to get it between 1/4-1/2 Inch thick in the bag, but only fill the bag 2/3-3/4 of the way full.

My press has a hand operated bottle jack, I press it until it makes good contact with bag, give it ten-fifteen seconds 2-4 more pumps on jack, wait 3-5 sec, couple more pumps and do on until it has a resistance that tells me it’s getting too much. ( you can also tell when it’s had enough based on how close the plates are to each other after doing a few) At that point oil has mostly stopped coming out, I’ll wait another 15-30 seconds before taking it out.
Haven’t ever timed the whole pressing, but it’s definitely less than 3-4 minutes total.

nephrosis

At 160 degrees with a 90u bag gets good results for me, with the 37+ enough pressure I can see blowouts happening. I get blowouts when it’s pressed too hard or fast.

Best way seems to be to get it between 1/4-1/2 Inch thick in the bag, but only fill the bag 2/3-3/4 of the way full.

My press has a hand operated bottle jack, I press it until it makes good contact with bag, give it ten-fifteen seconds 2-4 more pumps on jack, wait 3-5 sec, couple more pumps and do on until it has a resistance that tells me it’s getting too much. ( you can also tell when it’s had enough based on how close the plates are to each other after doing a few) At that point oil has mostly stopped coming out, I’ll wait another 15-30 seconds before taking it out.
Haven’t ever timed the whole pressing, but it’s definitely less than 3-4 minutes total.

You are fucking beast!!! Thank you! I had a feeling i was pressing too hard too fast. I felt material move when i pressed too hard, too fast and i think thats what happened.

Im going to do some test runs today :) Ill keep you posted. Any tips on Folding the bags? I put a 37 micron inside a 160 and i folded it like i see on youtube. I usually bottle tech my Flower, but im not sure if i should do a Patty press?

I have a Pollen press to form keif into pucks, should i continue to press into pucks? or should i lose pack my keif into the bag and keep it in a more flat rectangle?

To pre-press, or not to pre-press.

Also, Has anyone her had luck pressing Temple Balls? I want to turn my balls of hash into balls of rosin lol

redlaser

Veteran
Yeah, it takes practice to find the temp and time and speed to get what you want. I’ve pressed at 220 -140 with plenty of blowouts in the beginning. More so with flower

As far as folding the bags about 3/4 of an inch at most gets folded over. A little under 3/4 of the bag will be full, less than 1/2 an inch thick. I try not to have a lot of extra bag because it’s where the oil will be trapped, somewhat anyway.

I’ve never made pucks with hash, only flower. The hash is from dry ice extraction, then pressed in a ball until ready to press, then broken up and stuffed into the bag. I make different sized bags to do smaller amounts if needed.

That “the 37 +” in that first post is something spell check added, not supposed to be there

Latest posts

Latest posts