What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best cooled LED light?

superpedro

Veteran
Hi there.

I'm looking for the best cooled fixture i can find, with a decent spectrum off course.
I havent done any growing using LEDs, but i do have a lot of experience with fixtures i used i my reef aqariums. (And experience changing led pads in expensive fixtures.)

So, who is building the most conservative lamp in regard to cooling?

superpedro

Veteran
Hi, thanks.
They look cool.
Do you know if they guarantee their fixtures live up to something like the L80B10 norm?
(This means that after the specified lifetime, at a specified ambient temperature point, 90% of all fixtures still give an output of more than 80% of their original lumen output.)

That was a problem with coralfixtures. Only one i knew of specified the number for actual lifespan.

Last edited:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
This is a good unit:

picture.php

Water cooled, not cheap, but worth the price.

superpedro

Veteran
You might be interested in our TS and SP quantum board design lights.:tiphat: Check it out. https://bit.ly/2T2HFWb
Hi :tiphat:

The SP looks interesting in my perspective.
Because I am an old conservative fart when it comes to LEDs, I'm thinking about using 3x 250's in a 4x4, and running them on 2/3 each. They look like you could easily mount external fans on them too. (I would actually prefer this over internal fans)

superpedro

Veteran
This is a good unit:

View Image

Water cooled, not cheap, but worth the price.
What is that, and where do you buy?

I am living in a cold country, and use a heat transfer unit to pull my grow (and house).

I could get of these, and i would be able to reuse or get rid of the heat efficiently, with different properties on my air values depending on what channel it was mounted.
Love that idea.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Hi :tiphat:

The SP looks interesting in my perspective.
Because I am an old conservative fart when it comes to LEDs, I'm thinking about using 3x 250's in a 4x4, and running them on 2/3 each. They look like you could easily mount external fans on them too. (I would actually prefer this over internal fans)

Yes, they can work well in that space. Generally, we would suggest two pcs SP250 in 4x4 and 3 pcs in 5x5. If you run them on 2/3, that will be fine. :biggrin:
The drivers could be mounted out of tent easily.

Coupon code"ICMAG" :biggrin:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
500w of leds is about 350w of heat. Your 4x4 will want more heat than that.

A large number of QB sellers are using the 18x16 135w led arrays. Often for 120w and then more are used to make bigger lights. These QB boards are about $35 each. It's almost a certainty that in 5 years time you will be ready for the latest technology again. So following this industry standard is likely to make the upgrade a lot less painful, for your pocket and the environment. An led failure or the passage of time isn't going to put such light on the led scrap mountain. The actual life expectancy data is available, if you buy known devices. Typically Samsung leds are used, so you would find the data on the Samsung website. Their latest led is a year old now, and it's generational advantage was related to life expectancy. They will tell you all about it (the LM301h)

superpedro

Veteran
500w of leds is about 350w of heat. Your 4x4 will want more heat than that.

A large number of QB sellers are using the 18x16 135w led arrays. Often for 120w and then more are used to make bigger lights. These QB boards are about $35 each. It's almost a certainty that in 5 years time you will be ready for the latest technology again. So following this industry standard is likely to make the upgrade a lot less painful, for your pocket and the environment. An led failure or the passage of time isn't going to put such light on the led scrap mountain. The actual life expectancy data is available, if you buy known devices. Typically Samsung leds are used, so you would find the data on the Samsung website. Their latest led is a year old now, and it's generational advantage was related to life expectancy. They will tell you all about it (the LM301h)
I doubt a 5 year lifespan.
I used lamps with cree, osram and so on. Mounted in fixtures with fans and fins and so on. Worst of them, i could meassure more than 20% loss after 1 year. Spectrum out of order too.
And, yes. I´m the kind of guy who throws fixtures with burned leds in the bin.

The life epectancy you get from Samsung, Cree, Osram etc. is 100% useless if fixture doesnt provide the conditions they need.

Jock420

I would buy SANlight q6 leds there dimmable
And if some leds would break you can send that part away for replacement but still use the led.
Cracking lights my choice of led. Plus there upgradable too as lights get better.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
screw in leds with a fan blowing on them

14 watt 1600 lumen 5000k or 2700k for flowering in an outdoor 12ga wire patio string with 4 to 1 socket adapters.

Attachments

• user467693_pic1957719_1561988992.jpg
    user467693_pic1957719_1561988992.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 23
  • user467693_pic1931115_1553014421.jpg
    user467693_pic1931115_1553014421.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 20

superpedro

Veteran
Havent finished thinking about it yet.
I plan on having made a choice before my next indoor season starts in august :)

Right now I'm leaning towards 4 x TS1000
Seems perfect for 4x4 in my eyes.

superpedro

Veteran
Che k out the new line from ChillLed, looking top stuff.

Cheers
Hi.
Thanks.
Yes that does look nice.

But I am more or less decided on the TS1000 solution. After thinking about it my priorities have changed a bit.
I know the choice goes against the title of the thread, but another way of cooling LEDs is to get as many LEDs as you can to share the load.
4 x TS1000 is only 505 euro, (only 80 euro more than a single TS3000). Running 4 x TS1000 means i would have to run them at something like 2/3s of the factory settings, to get the same total output as the TS3000. I would be sharing the load between 1300 LEDs instead of 1000.
When it comes to cooling surface TS1000 is 43cmx44cm=1892cm2 x4 = 7568cm2
TS3000 is 64cm x 58cm =3712cm2
More than dubble up.:dance013:

So, if normal people are happy with the cooling of their TS3000, I should be happy with running the same leds at 2/3 of their power with twice the cooling area.

Next positive thing is better distribution.
Big panels always has their peak output in the middle. This setup should be a lot better.

I would be able to start seedlings/clones using only one lamp, and add as I go. Split them up, if I wanted to use some of my smaller tents, or whatever.
If a lamp has a failure, I could turn the remaining 3 up to factory setting for the same output, while waiting for repair.
Lots of positives I can think of by choosing small..

Big lights made sense to me in HIDs, when output/watt gets better by size. But with LEDs I don't see any reason at all to buy big lamps. Even in a 10KW grow, I would go for small lamps I could move around to fit my grow room perfectly - why not?

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Hi.
Thanks.
Yes that does look nice.

But I am more or less decided on the TS1000 solution. After thinking about it my priorities have changed a bit.
I know the choice goes against the title of the thread, but another way of cooling LEDs is to get as many LEDs as you can to share the load.
4 x TS1000 is only 505 euro, (only 80 euro more than a single TS3000). Running 4 x TS1000 means i would have to run them at something like 2/3s of the factory settings, to get the same total output as the TS3000. I would be sharing the load between 1300 LEDs instead of 1000.
When it comes to cooling surface TS1000 is 43cmx44cm=1892cm2 x4 = 7568cm2
TS3000 is 64cm x 58cm =3712cm2
More than dubble up.:dance013:

So, if normal people are happy with the cooling of their TS3000, I should be happy with running the same leds at 2/3 of their power with twice the cooling area.

Next positive thing is better distribution.
Big panels always has their peak output in the middle. This setup should be a lot better.

I would be able to start seedlings/clones using only one lamp, and add as I go. Split them up, if I wanted to use some of my smaller tents, or whatever.
If a lamp has a failure, I could turn the remaining 3 up to factory setting for the same output, while waiting for repair.
Lots of positives I can think of by choosing small..

Big lights made sense to me in HIDs, when output/watt gets better by size. But with LEDs I don't see any reason at all to buy big lamps. Even in a 10KW grow, I would go for small lamps I could move around to fit my grow room perfectly - why not?

These are really the pros when using a few pcs small lights instead of one big light. :tiphat::tiphat:

Koondense

Veteran
I kind of agree with the logic of many small lights vs one big. I also have cob leds on individual mounts so can regulate them at wish.
Also the price point you mention is more than decent, to be honest.
Only issue is the leds used, TS will produce at least one quarter less light compared to top brands but as always it's a question on how much you value top tech compared to what is good enough for you. The 4x mars ts1000 seems a good enough option for a 4x4, go for it.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts