What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Having trouble waxing up BHO

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Closed loop - 1 week old bud - very dry but not crumbly
BHO is very pretty yellow. Fully purged in Vac Pot followed by
12 hrs in Vac oven @ 120f

Still very pretty clear yellow. No signs of nucleation.
Did a distillation run before hand. Butane is also water-free.

Any ideas?

You could whip it up warm and then pull vac. When you release the vac after 4-5 hours immediately take it out of the vac chamber.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. No effect. Thinking of putting in some drops of water...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Closed loop - 1 week old bud - very dry but not crumbly
BHO is very pretty yellow. Fully purged in Vac Pot followed by
12 hrs in Vac oven @ 120f

Still very pretty clear yellow. No signs of nucleation.
Did a distillation run before hand. Butane is also water-free.

Any ideas?

What form does the purdy yellow extract take?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
It's clear yellow resin. If I let it cool it gets rock hard.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you tried whipping and vacuuming at 90F or so?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Yeah, so I did exactly that. And I got Faux wax. It kinda looked like wax, but was hard as rock, like shatter.

So I've been abusing the crap out of it for the last 3 days or so. 135f over night and it clouded up and turned a light tan color. At room temp I can get a scraper into it and scrap it a little but lifting the scraper up makes it crack and shatter. So back in the oven it goes for some more torture.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ASSuming wax grains are hydrates formed around crystals, formed around points of nucleation, then:

To form a hydrate requires water, which you noted is low. Back to that later.

In our case it requires cannabinoids in it's carboxylic acid form, capable of making crystals, and your shatter brittleness suggests that you do.

You need points of nucleation, which can be plant waxes or dust particles, et al.

Stirring it breaks up any crystals present, so that their fragments form new points of nucleation for more crystals.

Your color is light, but slightly cloudy, suggesting some plant waxes available to hydrate. High wax content typically makes it more pull and snap and easier to wax.

What temperature was the column and what LPG blend?

I don't see evidence of dust, but difficult to tell from a picture. What micron filter do you have on your column?

Back to the water part. Not sure what percent water very dry but not crumbly has. When you roll the material between you finger and thumb, is it frangible but not dusty? Does it break up easily as you roll it without being dry and powdery, or more leathery?

Your description suggests you were using freshly distilled virgin LPG and I infer your storage tank has been recently purged of water, soooo your theory that your water content might be low for easily making hydrates is certainly plausible.

As far as just easily mixing water and non polar concentrates back together, I'll defer to any onboard chemists as to technique, but would suggest trials on a small sample.

Maybe make an emulsion first by whipping a thin film of concentrate, that started with a thin condensation layer on top, and whip it with more vigor and frequency, between heating under vacuum at 85/90F or so.

Latest posts

Latest posts