What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will lite weed ever be a niche?

Easy7

Veteran
Sometimes I get higher with a little less than if I had more. Not high CBD low THC, just light on the cannabinoids. Seems with the legal market growing, maybe some people don't want trashed.

Just a question. Seems lite beer isn't much cheaper than get drunk cheap beers. There is a market for lite smokers? Not junk seed either that isn't pretty or doesn't smell nice. Terps are like hops and are related.

I don't always go for the high proof at the liqour store. Sometimes I drink lite beer for some discipline. And yes some weed will wreck you and that's not always a good time. Surely there are people that want to smoke joints at a party for hours and not get trashed.

So will there be a breeding niche for lite smokers? Honestly it seems even heavy on the terps could be heavy smoke. Some girls like to smoke but they smoke new heavy strains and don't want to do much. So they drink all night and hardly ever hit the bong, with bad experiences and all that from getting too high.

What do you think? I know the market has been trying to pack more punch in a bag and prices have reflected that. Weight was against those busted in the past. Could still be an issue in many parts these days. For that reason I would myself not cultivate low cannabinoid strains. Of course unless I was a rich guy who was in legal business and the market had a demand for lite weed/hash. Just good old happy giggly party pot?

There is plenty of weak bud available and your right most pepole seem to enjoy bud that has effects that are hard to determine over placebo.

I find it to be the opposite though , finding high quality bud in an unfamilar place is damn near impossible. Most bud I have seen in Colorado and Washington state disp is very weak and people seem to love it. Many people mix their cannabis with alcohol so they really only use the tinyest amount very sporadically. Coming from the illegal state Virginia and being very involved, from my experience, most smoke very weak cannabis. Bud that taste like hay or only slightly sweet with zero terpene modulation of the low cannabinoids present.

Finding really terpene rich, high cannabinoid cannabis, if your in an illegal state, it's only if your lucky enough to have met the right people, or in a legal state, pretty much the same thing. Even with dispensaries available, unless you know the right one due to word of mouth, you could hop from shit disp to shit disp endlessly, only seeing Lite Weed.

If you can't tell, I am a little salty about the mass amount's of shitty shwag bud available most places. Don't really need to breed weak pot, only need to grow and handle already bred cultivars poorly.

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
Legal weed has it's issues for anyone with a passion and not ego with this hobby.

I don't know anyone in the biz but heard of people that are. Chem nutrients are to make money on the cheap. People making the big bucks cut down on expenses and quality suffers. It's like that in the illegal markets too.

Too many of the fine details get glossed over when money is the objective. Small gardens get more attention. Nothing like big bloated beasters and why did those ever exist? Easily greed and no real know how.

B

bench warmer

Due to my extremely low tolerance to most every intoxicant I'm currently growing out Orange Velvet, a Subcool/Mz Jill strain known to have lower than average potency. However, it's also known for its dominant orange taste and a euphoric effect.
Eventually it will be crossed to other orange flavoured strains, possibly increasing potency while maintaining the orangey trait.
My point is a lower potency yet well grown strain that also offers other appealing characteristics would certainly have a niche in the market imo.

FireIn.TheSky

People judge potency differently, to some high potency means it leaves them drooling on the couch or napping the afternoon away, to others they like a speedy energetic effect that gets them off their ass to mow the lawn.

For me I have certain strains I like for fall and summer for hiking, a lot of ppl would not consider these potent because their effect is more in the head and not much body.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
When you taste how flavorful cannabis can really be, I can see creating strains for flavor which are low potency. Same reason low alcohol 'refreshing' drinks are mixed during hot summers.

Absolutely!

Absolutely!

I can say my wife would pay more for a lighter but tasty strain.
Me... I go more for the heavy hitters.

seeded

There's definitely a market for sociable type weed that leaves a person functional almost no matter how much they consume but the question really should be are the people who want to consume vast amounts of cannabis like that willing to pay the same price as everyone else on a per gram basis? In most cases the answer is no because they see a night costing them potentially hundreds of dollars instead of something like the $20 it would cost if they went with the stronger option and spaced their usage out. They also see it as a lower price for lower quality type deal and consider it unfair that the prices are the same. Well at least that's my experience with those types of users anyway and I'd bet most you meet aren't any different either because people are cheap no matter where they're from.

MedResearcher

Veteran
For sure. Some people cant smoke something heavy and function, but want to smoke all day. The working man/woman daytime smoke!

I am surely not a scientist so I have no idea, what ratios of what compounds do what. Although, generally I think the narrow leaf leaning stuff can be more functioning, uplifting smoke. While the wide leaf is typically more heavy.

Everything is changing so rapidly, but typically people grew wide leaf leaning hybrids indoors to speed up production. So a good amount of indoor pot was a bit heavy. I have seen people that smoked wide leaf leaning indoor most of there life, then finally smoke something thin leaf leaning and just love not being sleepy and being able to work all day.

So much has changed now though, less risk, more competition. Not so many people are growing fast flowering varieties, so there is a little bit of everything, and a ton of OG Kush/hybrids.

Mr^^

jets1925

Weed snobs

Weed snobs

I think we understand/misunderstand the market because we are pretty hardcore enthusiasts. Most people will end up smoking a commercial product that is widely available.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Just fyi- Light beer will get you just as drunk as regular beer, just with less calories.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lite beer isnt lighter in alcohol content than regular beer. It's lighter in calories so this analogy is kind of screwey & doesn't work the way it was intended.

I don't want light flavored weed & there's already plenty of weak shit out there.

If you don't want to get so messed up try a different variety with different effects or don't smoke so damn much!
Excercise some restraint!

Whilst there is definitely a fairly large group of ex tokers who can't handle most weed and would love some low THC weed

However I can't see this ever being a commercial success due to the probable lack of frequent return sales, unless you have a ready market for party people

Gry

It is a niche product now and you are on to something. 80% of what is on the shelves of the shops near to me, I would have no interest in consuming, but it does sell well or it would not be there. I figure flavors are a biggie for everyone who consumes.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I can say my wife would pay more for a lighter but tasty strain.
Me... I go more for the heavy hitters.
and with you piloting the ship, is she holding her breath? :biggrin: giver the
popcorn4.gif
kinda like light beer...:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The cut of Canna-Tsu I have is actually very close to an enjoyment type cannabis. I recently read it's most likely close to 30%CBD and 9%THC, with (as far as I can tell) zero high/stone/inebriation to it. Even harlequin has a good 'buzz' compared to it, and the buzz from harlequin is quite low.

The taste is orange citrus and the effects are all positive. I can literally smoke this all day long for enjoyment and get nothing but medical benefits from it. Quite enjoyable, even without inebriation.

When the taste and aroma is as enjoyable as the most delicious foods you've ever eaten, there's a singular enjoyment to smoking it while doing just about anything else in life. ;) Extremely tasty cannabis is difficult to stay away from. lol

PDX Dopesmoker

Ethanol is a high calorie substance, 7 calories per gram. 20ml of ethanol is going to have a bit over 100 calories in it no matter what form it's in.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
When the taste and aroma is as enjoyable as the most delicious foods you've ever eaten, there's a singular enjoyment to smoking it while doing just about anything else in life. ;) Extremely tasty cannabis is difficult to stay away from. lol

I agree with you here Doug! Tasty herb is one of the most beautiful things I have ever experienced. I love a THC heavy Indica for medical use, and good a THC dominant hybrid for every day recreational use, but some herb tastes so beautiful I would smoke it just for taste alone with no effect.
ECSD, Kandy Kush, Cindy 99, SFV OG Kush, I could smoke these all for taste alone, luckily for me, they got a pretty good buzz too!

I am sure there will be a market for "lite" herbs in the future. Many people love the taste of top shelf herb, but get annihilated from the smoke. The main thing that should change is the quailty of smoke. There is plenty of lite herb around now, but most is schwag. What needs to be sold in the future is stinky, tasty, beautiful, well trimmed and well grown lite herbs.

Last edited:

J-Icky

I can see a decent market for weed that a group of people can sit together smoke a joint or blunt of together and get high but not completely blazed. Something with a better taste than mexi-brick or even compressed mids but about the same effects as mids.
Honestly the majority of people would probably prefer that type of weed over the chemdogs, sours, OGs and other ultra potent strains. Thats why there is a massive market for the mexi-brick and mids still price isn't the only reason. Most people don't have the tolerances of many here and would prefer to sit and enjoy smoking an entire joint rather than taking one hit and having to worry if that will be too much for them.

Most here would say dabs are like hard liquor and high potency flowers are like wine or beer. But to the average joe a dab would be like chugging a pint of everclear and the top shelf flowers would be like hard liquor. To the average joe a single hit of chemdog could be enough to ruin their time and make them have to go lay down and regroup or sleep it off. To the average joe that one small hit takes away the entire social aspect of enjoying a joint with a group of friends and still being able to enjoy the conversation and time with those people.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I'm sure at some point in the future there will be a product like the OP describes. It will be marketed for sorority girls and other lightweights, similar to ZIMA, the all-purpose wine cooler.

It will come in luscious rainbow colors/flavors, like raspberry red and blueberry blue.

And people like us will scoff at it, while somebody makes millions from some weak-ass pot product.