What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

11/13 Flowering Light cycle recommended by DJ Short

I came across an DJ Short interview by Grantland.com. If you haven't read it heres the link. Its a good read.:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9825376/a-trip-hempfest-pioneering-cannabis-breeder-dj-short

In the article, DJ Short recommends a 11/13 light cycle for flowering instead of 12/12. Here's what he said:

"Short said, and slowed down his voice: "For your bud cycle: 11 hours on, 13 off. OK? What will happen first and foremost is that you will see phenotypic expressions that you will never see with the 12/12."

What's your thoughts? Anyone have personal experience with growing 11/13? See any difference between 12/12 and 11/13?

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
only use on sat doms, pointless on anything else
but it seems to flower sats a bit faster

S

sourpuss

Makes sense, I wondered why my purp affie wasn't purpling anymore, first run was 11 /13, next runs I went 12/12. Never saw the purple in that plant again. Then I lost it, .... I must agree with dj short. Affie is indica dom as well.

Last edited:
@sourpuss - Were the temperatures in your enviroment different between the grows? that could have been a factor. either way thanks for your input.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
So I guess my Pure JLB wont flower at 12/12?
Its the only light schedule I can put it on. Im growing mostly ChemD hybrids.
The genetics are landrace sativa with 20+/- wks flower time. Its been on 12/12 for 2 wks.
It was recommended to me to flower @ 11/13. What will that do to my 60 other plants?

S

sourpuss

@curbiechris the temps were always warmer except the last run. I expected the purp to return, but it didn't. Only variable I see is running the light closer to 11 13. Wasn't exact 12/12 probably more like 11 15 /12 45.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
try 13/11 or even 14/10 the extra hour(s) of light adds a week or two of packing on weight. This would vegetate sativas.

fabvariousk

Veteran
I have been running 10.5 on 13.5 off for the past year and find most things to finish nicer under that regime.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I have been running 10.5 on 13.5 off for the past year and find most things to finish nicer under that regime.

Yup, I flower 11 on, 13 off. Broad leaf and narrow leaf.

My broad leaf cultivars express attributes show less narcotic,
more varied up effects. Flowers longer, almost 20 days longer
in some cases.

Good for me, I got time.

bushed

Yup, I flower 11 on, 13 off. Broad leaf and narrow leaf.

My broad leaf cultivars express attributes show less narcotic,
more varied up effects. Flowers longer, almost 20 days longer
in some cases.

Good for me, I got time.

Hey its funny you should say this dropped cat, I have often read that shortening the flowering time makes for quicker flowering with less yield. The theory being that it makes the plant think that the season is coming to an end.

I was actually thinking of shortening my flower schedule for the last 3 weeks to make sure everything was finished up in time but now im not too sure.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this either way?

koles[cz]

I was actually thinking of shortening my flower schedule for the last 3 weeks to make sure everything was finished up in time but now im not too sure.

Yes! I was thinking about it too. Last grow i went 11/13 the whole flower period and it turned out well for me. However, this run I have completely different genetics so even if i do part-time 11/13, there is no telling if anything changed..

Anyone tried 11/13 for the second half of flower period? Appreciate any comments, fellas

ive noticed slightly less on the yield on 11/13.i think its better to do it gradually during the flowering time. imo this mimics outdoors and doesnt affect the yeild as much as starting off at that light schedule.