What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why aren´t more of you growing ROLS

V

vonforne

Can´t be any simpler. It is all laid out for you. You all come in here asking this and that and at the top of the forum it has been all done before you but have to look at the results.

I would like to hear the why´s.

They

New growers asking questions? In a forum? Who would of thunk it.

I recycle everything. Maybe not in a no till/ROLS sort of way. I just couldn't imagine why I would throw anything away after sourcing amendments and making a nice environment for the microbes and roots. I rarely use containers over a gallon and less than 10% of my soil mix gets used indoors. I'm a renter with a RIFA problem so putting in a large outdoor garden in not good right now. But I reuse all my soil or it goes to the pile hopefully to be used down the road. I do a lot of containers for my fruits and veggies outside so it all gets used and reused the only time anything leaves is if I gift a plant.

DARC MIND

Veteran
because its kinda cheezy, never dug that stamp nor feel another term is needed
lots of ways to build soil & grow naturally, if anything id prefer to classify my indoor as jungle of green coined by the three little birds way back in the overgrow days.

add some amerindian magic, lessons from a japanese genius, ancient amazonian soil conditioning and good ol mother nature
bam.jpg

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
because I NSPB....you did ask... j/k

I never understood the need to tag anything - and I was never welcomed in that group. Why would I want to use a "method" when those running it treated me like complete shit for absolutely no reason at all?!?!?

dank.Frank

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
show me rols on a shelf at the hydro store or home depot and you wont have this issue

but guess what buddy

everything you would need would be neatly packaged and grossly overpriced

the only reason i researched and transitioned is because I didn't ever want to be seen buying grow supplies ever or relying on someone else again

something positive that came out of prohibition is that i stopped buying into so much obfuscation and subterfuge.

Trying to get my lingo correct here... ROLS is just reammending/remixing/recycling, yes? And the new (to the internet) no-till craze is a seaparate deal? Been doing the reammend/remix for a while. If this next round in 10-gal pots runs smoothly I might just drop some new clones in after harvest.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
DF makes a good point ... part of the problem stems from the past group of practitioners...
they where not the most warm or welcoming group.... thus clouding the organic forum in
drama and bad karma..... since all that/them has left the building.... its know up to us that care to help rebuild the process, and enlighten the frightful....

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Ridiculous acronyms and the cult like mentality that follows.

There is more than one way to grow organically but often only the trendy method is accepted around here.

It's never good to just take one persons word on anything, but difference of opinion isn't always welcome.

That being said, out of cheapness I recycle and have been for years but it still takes work, time and skill as the soil changes over time. I have also had great success using bagged soil it's just a matter of what suits your life.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gee, who was that old guy who advocated notill to the forum back in 2008? Didn't he rave about the success he had growing that way for at least 5 years straight in the same soil and containers?

Gee, who was that old guy who advocated notill to the forum back in 2008? Didn't he rave about the success he had growing that way for at least 5 years straight in the same soil and containers?

I guess that makes you a sinner according to the almighty "Grow Bible". Guilty as charged... Haha!

Good question my experience most people don't like yucky hippy crap especially in their homes. I have talked to two different hydro store owners literally laughing to the bank and behind their customers backs kinda sick. I guess I never grew up just playing in the dirt still regress to progress has been my moto for a while. I didn't know what the acronym ROLS meant until a few weeks ago fits my style through. My doctor I'm working with told me if I come to him in 20 years and say I know everything about weed he would slap me, I said lay me the fuck out.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
The worst thing that could come from all of the ROLS crew bullshit drama is if people begin to think that it represents some "new method" and reject it because of the people associated with it.

That's silly because most all of you who are growing organically are doing the same exact thing. Which illustrates the fact ROLS isn't some new method. Most people are already doing it, they just don't call it anything other than growing. The big thing was encouraging people to recycle because too many people throw away perfectly good dirt for no damn good reason. But it wasn't some new idea. Peat based mix, compost, dry ferts, and some minerals. Simple shit. Don't complicate it or confuse it with something else because of stupid ass terms like ROLS or TLO or whatever redundant, useless term the cool kids are using.

98% of the info in that first thread was already in this forum, you just had to know where to look for it. Like the seed sprout tea everyone went crazy over. It works great, don't get me wrong. But it's not new, just new to people who didn't know about it. Scaybeez posted about barley enzyme teas five years ago. Somebody get that man a medal.

What the original ROLS thread did was consolidate much of that info into one thread which helped facilitate understanding because now everyone had one place to visit to get their information versus 25 different threads. It was a rehashing of a lot of old ideas. Not much news unless it was news to you.

bigshrimp

Veteran
"Organic" growing is a spectrum, on one end bottle fed organic substrate - on the other a living recycled soil. Maybe at that moment the distinction needed to be made.

V

vonforne

That is what I wanted to hear.

And Ras.......you hit the nail on the head.