What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Some more random Broad / Cyclamen Mite info-
They cannot survive long without plant material but that plant material does not need to be growing. One more reason for good housekeeping & removing prunned plant material from the grow space immediately.

Grow Tech

Veteran
Daily Broad Mite Battle update-

I have a whole arsenal of Chems coming today. The holiday delayed shipment a little so i've tried a couple other things in the mean time.

Broad Mites don't like Hot Shot No Pest Strip. I put a HSNPS in a humidity dome with clones. 36 hours later I have confirmed adult mortality

I also ran a collection of small plants through the hot water treatment. The water was ~115f when I put them in & ~107f when i took them out 16 mins later. I have confirmed adult mortality and it looks like the plants will survive but not without damage to newest growth.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
After a treatment of Forbid...they still move around for a few days...but a few days later right after a treatment of Avid.... Toasted!

These things were dancing and singing Jingle Bells ...now its nothing but the Undertakers Theme song...

Attachments

• PICT0091.jpg
    PICT0091.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 51
  • PICT0112.jpg
    PICT0112.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT0110.jpg
    PICT0110.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT0109.jpg
    PICT0109.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT0104.jpg
    PICT0104.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 57
  • PICT0103.jpg
    PICT0103.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 45
  • PICT0101.jpg
    PICT0101.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT0096.jpg
    PICT0096.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 54
  • PICT0095.jpg
    PICT0095.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 51
  • PICT0093.jpg
    PICT0093.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 54

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
This could be Tarsonemus. definetly so small that naked eye can't see. Kind of brown pistils ends and eat up the buds. Pretty tough to see, with a normal microscope you gotta wait for them to move to spot them, and hard to diagnose. Brings some kind of leaves deformation that could look like some kind of virus.

Had this one time, i think bifenthrine did the job but brought some red mites after, so maybe not the best idea.

Hope you get rid of them for good...

++

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
After a treatment of Forbid...they still move around for a few days...but a few days later right after a treatment of Avid.... Toasted!

These things were dancing and singing Jingle Bells ...now its nothing but the Undertakers Theme song...

These pictures are good examples. Thanks for posting them.

With the 60x you can actually make out the legs. Obviously when they move they are lot easier to see as well.

Here are some pics of EARLY infestation damage.

the main symptoms are:
# 1) dry, crinkly leaves
# 2) short plants (short internodal spacing)
# 3) curled down 'claw' like leaf tips (much like a nitrogen toxicity)

this can easily pass for a nute overdose (Phosphorus) to the untrained eye (mine)

Now that i know what it is i am going to try the above AVID / Forbid one , two punch with a dash of sulfur at the end. Then i am going to wash all the walls and surfaces with Bifenthrin from Home Depot b/c of the residue.

When i spray i guess i do not need to worry much about the undersides of the leaves so much as the apex of the new growth?

MF'er.. What a shit way to start 2012 :wallbash:

Thanks GT for bringing this to our attention

Grow Tech

Veteran
When i spray i guess i do not need to worry much about the undersides of the leaves so much as the apex of the new growth?

Hey Nata. Both Forbid & Avid are Translaminar.
Heres a def-
Translaminar is a term that refers to insecticides/miticides that penetrate the leaf tissue and form a reservoir of active ingredient within the leaf.

I'd still soak every surface I could. I'm going to do a test & submerge one of my small girls thats in hydroton completely in an Avid mix. If she survives, thats probaly the route I'll go ( submerssion vs spray application).

Update on heat treated plants- I have not found any confirmed living mites. I saw one that could have been alive but it never moved. All the plants subjected to the heat treatment have substancial damage to the newest growth but look like they'll survive.

Last edited:

chemoboi

I couldn't get any great pix at 100x, but I think this video might show broadmites. Pix are from well-established clones; about to flip. The plants look fantastic. What do you think; broadmites? (I'm treating either way.)

mitecheck5jan12.avi

Natagonnaworrie

Veteran
Whats up man? I cant really tell from that video but if you plants have short spacing, and dry crinkly leaves thats the cause.

At first i dismissed it but i have seen what i can do and once they get rolling the SUCK.

Kill them all.

chemoboi

Whats up man? I cant really tell from that video but if you plants have short spacing, and dry crinkly leaves thats the cause.

At first i dismissed it but i have seen what i can do and once they get rolling the SUCK.

Kill them all.

No such symptoms, fortunately. My girls are almost ridiculously healthy so I'm hitting with Avid and moving on. Wish me luck.

Natagonnaworrie

Veteran
Good Luck Man!!!

What do you have over there anyway? ADub?

Those should be clean anyway.

Beautiful plant huh?

SKUNK420

Video on bugs

Video on bugs

Here's a video I found on aphid predators and controlling them naturally: http://www.greenhousegrower.com/video/849

I just treated an OG Kush I have with both Evergreen @ 3ml and Avid @ 1ml per gallon at the same time. The aphids are dead and no problems to report from the treatment either.

Also check out the other videos on that site concerning root rot and powdery mildew.

edit:
I just found this video about broad mites:http://www.greenhousegrower.com/video/489
and look up neoseiulus californicus

Grow Tech

Veteran
Treatment Update-
The hot water treated plants look rough. They'll probably survive but not without major damage. Not sure if the cure was worse than the pest

I cleaned & then sprayed my nursery with Forbid 4f yesterday...Those plants look great. Since Forbid takes a little while to kill ( it desicates the mites) I'll start judging mortality tomorrow

Midnight

Veteran
OP - Good luck with all of those chemicals. I just went through the exact same thing. I ended up taking every fucking plant out of my room and put them outside (more on that in a minute). I tried fucking EVERYTHING and NOTHING would get rid of those little bastards.

My room has been empty for a week now. So far I have mixed a bleach solution at 50% water, 50% bleach, I took this and sprayed it on all the surfaces and then scrubbed them down. Next, I vacuumed the entire floor multiple times, then I let off a hot shot bug bomb. I repeated these steps again today except this time I changed the bleach solution to 10% bleach and 90% water (a 50/50 mix will literally burn your eyes and lungs if you're in the room more than a minute or two).

As for the plants that were in there, as I said I nuked the shit out of them. When I put them outside a week ago, the weather here has been mid 60's during the day and low 30's at night. Prior to them going outside you could not really see any damage to the plants from the mites. These pics are what happened when I put them outside (for a week as of today) and stopped nuking them.

This is what they looked like the day before I put them outside.
picture.php

And now a week later
picture.php

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts