What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

leaf discoloration.

topcolas

I have few plants that are showing weird leaf discoloration. they are within 2 weeks of transplant into rock wool cubes

Room temp- 75

Humidity- 60

Nutes- Mega crop, Bio- War tea(foliar, Roots) and molasses. Fed once during initial transplant, and once more after 8 days.

I Checked them with scope, no sign of any pests or eggs. I dip the plants in plant therapy before transplant and sprayed one more time after few days. I also spray OG Biowar Foliar and Roots.

Room is very clean. bleach at least once a week.

lights are set at 600 watt and at least 5 ft away.

No wind damage, i don't use wall fans during veg.

as you can see all the other leaves are doing great, and all the plants next to it don't show any signs of discoloration.

Attachments

• leaf discoloration 2.jpg
    leaf discoloration 2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 31
  • leaf discoloration.jpg
    leaf discoloration.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 35

SuperBadGrower

Google cannabis leaf mutations :) nothing to worry about. I haven't had a seed grow without a plant doing something like this, or growing out 3 or 4 sets of leaves/branches.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I have few plants that are showing weird leaf discoloration. they are within 2 weeks of transplant into rock wool cubes

Room temp- 75

Humidity- 60

Nutes- Mega crop, Bio- War tea(foliar, Roots) and molasses. Fed once during initial transplant, and once more after 8 days.

I Checked them with scope, no sign of any pests or eggs. I dip the plants in plant therapy before transplant and sprayed one more time after few days. I also spray OG Biowar Foliar and Roots.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=489568&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=489567&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

as you can see all the other leaves are doing great, and all the plants next to it don't show any signs of discoloration.
The partial chlorosis of the leaf is a characteristic of minor heat/light issues.

75F/24 Celcius is a little high, and would probably be better near 20C/68F. The reason is that the temperature under the lamps is always higher than the room in general.

SuperBadGrower

That's so misleading. That temperature is not "high" at all. The difference in colors is called variegation. All weed would look like this is 75F was "a little high".

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
And I stand by my analysis. I've seen the same outdoors after a hot day.

When the room temperature is 24 C, the temperature at the leaf level has to be at least 29 C, 30 C, maybe even higher.

That's the problem.

SuperBadGrower

I'm not sure a 600W at 5ft will do that much, but at any rate, variegation is certainly genetic, that's known for ages. It's true that environmental factors do influence different kinds of variegation, but they are not the cause. For example, in the study linked below, one type of variegation would show above 16C and another under 16C. So there is no point in trying to "fix" anything, it just is what it is. it's the genetic hand of cards that your plant has been dealt. When you say "it's the problem" that is a problem - because there is no problem that ought to be fixed in the OP's grow.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3f26/04d13f741abc2f4c8d2657d297589bfa3015.pdf

There is a lot of information about the subject in the citations, for those interested in non-anecodtal information.

Sakamoto 2003;
The temperature‐sensitive mutant of Arabidopsis, chs5, developed chlorotic leaves at restrictive temperatures (15°C), but almost normal green leaves at permissive temperatures (22°C). At the restrictive temperature, the chs5 mutation blocked the accumulation of chlorophylls and carotenoids.

F Yu 2007;
The var1 mutant was isolated as a tissue culture regenerate
(Martínez-Zapater 1993). It has normal-appearing cotyledons and green- and white-sectored rosette leaves. The
variegation phenotype is expressed in homozygous recessive individuals and the plastid defect is not maternally
inherited (the plastids are not permanently defective). The
variegation phenotype can be suppressed at growth temperatures lower than ca. 20 °C

SuperBadGrower

"Edit:" (I can't yet :) ) Sorry if it came across as harsh, it was not intended that way TanzanianMagic. you correlated that variegation appearing in your plants with higher temperatures which is a good observation, and undoubtedly true in your case. But what brings out the various mutations is seemingly random and certainly unstudied in cannabis as far as I know, hopefully someone can prove me wrong. It also isn't harmful, so there is not much point trying to undertake actions. Additionally it is only happening to a single individual in the OP's grow. So my recommendation to OP would be to just continue doing the same, instead of bringing down temperatures, which may be what you implied. I might even bring down the lights because 5ft seems very high to me, but it's not my light and room so what do I know.

topcolas

The partial chlorosis of the leaf is a characteristic of minor heat/light issues.

75F/24 Celcius is a little high, and would probably be better near 20C/68F. The reason is that the temperature under the lamps is always higher than the room in general.

Icic. Temp and rh is actually measured at conopy distance. Thank you.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Icic. Temp and rh is actually measured at conopy distance. Thank you.
You're saying that room temperature is measured at the leaf level? That's unique.

The temperature under the lights is higher than the general temperature of the room.

And that's why you shouldn't run your room higher than 20 C.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world

Room temp- 75

Humidity- 60

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=489568&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=489567&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I am going to go with genetic expression over an environmental reaction. You don’t mention the genetics. Are you familiar with them? Clones or seed plants?

I have experienced variegation on occasion. But never as much as my first go with Chem genes. This is a Chem-line clone.

picture.php

A few others (non Chem) in the same environment show no such variegation.

When a line is known for a particular trait so much so that it manifests across many different environments, regardless method, seems safe to say it’s in the genes. Perhaps you have such genes.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
I am going to go with genetic expression over an environmental reaction. You don’t mention the genetics. Are you familiar with them? Clones or seed plants?

I have experienced variegation on occasion. But never as much as my first go with Chem genes. This is a Chem-line clone.

View Image

When a line is known for a particular trait so much so that it manifests across many different environments, regardless method, seems safe to say it’s in the genes. Perhaps you have such genes.

my underDawg og just did this i run organic its gotta be genetic from chem everything else was super healthy i didnt know what it was till saw your pic

topcolas

View Image

few of mine look just like those. thank you for the input!!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Let me see...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78618&pictureid=1927471

- There is partial chlorosis of several leaves

That is clearly, directly, caused by heat/temperature damage.

But why?

I suggest you turn them back on.

- There is a curling of the leaves

This points to a pH issue. So is it too high or too low?

- There is no problem at the top of the plants, however the lower leaves are stunted

This points to a pH that is too low, because low pH locks out mobile nutrients like Potassium, Phosphorus and Nitrogen.

- The stems of the leaves are purple, and the stem itself is woody

This points to a K deficiency/lockout, because it is potassium that builds strong stems and branches.

K, Mg can also be locked out because of low temperatures, although that doesn't seem to be the case. However, it is still worthwhile measuring the temperature when the lights are off, just in case.

Your growing techniques need a lot of polishing, newbie.

topcolas

Let me see...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78618&pictureid=1927471

- There is partial chlorosis of several leaves

That is clearly, directly, caused by heat/temperature damage.

But why?

I suggest you turn them back on.

- There is a curling of the leaves

This points to a pH issue. So is it too high or too low?

- There is no problem at the top of the plants, however the lower leaves are stunted

This points to a pH that is too low, because low pH locks out mobile nutrients like Potassium, Phosphorus and Nitrogen.

- The stems of the leaves are purple, and the stem itself is woody

This points to a K deficiency/lockout, because it is potassium that builds strong stems and branches.

K, Mg can also be locked out because of low temperatures, although that doesn't seem to be the case. However, it is still worthwhile measuring the temperature when the lights are off, just in case.

Your growing techniques need a lot of polishing, newbie.

As far as wall fans, i only turn them on when i set up all the lights... there is plenty of air flow between plants and rows thanks to a lot of floor fans and ac fan on all the time. wall fans more actually can do more harm than good they way most growers use them.

It is most def not low ph. if anything its high ph i think... i feed them around 5.6 ph and let the ph drift up. yesterday i fed 5.6 and run off was around 6.5. It could possibly be some type of nutrient def. i feed them 300ppm during veg. so might bump that up to 350 to 400..

In my set up, temp and canopy temp is almost always identical. i have thermostats set up 4 feet under the lights and its always same. if there is a noticeable difference in your room temp and your plant canopy, you have problem with the ac or air flow. so temp is def not an issue.

night time Temp is same as day time temp. maybe 1 or 2 degree less at most.

night time RH is 45 to 50.

I am going to increase ppm little bit and maybe add pinch of mag sulfate.

*I use Megacrop and compost tea only. no additives during veg.