What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants in hydro abruptly started dying

ChenBenTz

I have 3 plants in DWC. Everything was going great, fast growth under 1000w HPS.

The other day, I trimmed them and also started another 500w HPS in the same room which brought temps up a bit and that's when the plants started wilting.

Looking at the roots, I found some rot and some slime. I figure it might have been a combination of some leaves falling into the reservoir and the higher temps (still haven't turned on AC this year).

So, I took apart all the containers and the reservoir and cleaned them with bleach and replaced the water with H2O2 (concentration of 120ml of 3% per gallon) for 12 hours.

Then I dumped the H2O2 water and filled everything up like before with R/O water and the same nutes, and.. nothing has changed.

They're continuously wilting, dying a little more every day as if I just hadn't done anything.

So, either the damage done was so severe that even though they were absolutely thriving a day before - they received a permanent death sentence the day after, or I did not fix the issue properly.

I would really appreciate the help because I've spent months on these plants.

Here they are, perfectly healthy:

A few hours later, after trimming:

And the following day:

Here is what the roots looked like before the H2O2 treatment:

This is how they look now, and getting worse every day:

Big Nasty

The only thing i know that strikes this fast is fusarium,google fusarium wilt and inspect the branches,there should be a little wound and a necrotic/black spot somewhere.
It was probably already there and took over after pruning but massive defoliation/trimming can not be the main issue.

R

Rab.C

Sorry about your grow man.you could give this product a go its called Silverbullet here

is some info.

Get to the Root of Your Problems!

Root diseases can wreak havoc in your indoor garden in a disturbingly short space of time. By the time the signs of sickness are visible above ground level, there will already be considerable damage below ground. Hydroponic setups, with a shared reservoir are particularly at risk because diseases can take hold and spread to every plant's roots like wildfire. Normal peroxide can treat root diseases very effectively but, it only stays active in a system for a very short space of time. Silver Bullet Roots changes all that, creating a disinfectant that lasts for around 5 weeks and can be used as preventative measure or on-going treatment. This will ensure root diseases never get a hold on your plants roots in the first place as.

• Kills 99.99% fungi, spores, bacteria, viruses, protozoa and algae
  • Breaks down and removes Bioflim
  • Non-toxic and non-corrosive, won’t damage your plants
  • Promotes oxygen around the roots, keeping them healthy
  • Cost effective as only a low dosage required
  • Stays active in your tank for up to 5 weeks
  • Neutral pH level
  • Uses silver as a disinfect agent
  • Helps prevent spread of microbes and their spores
  • EPA and FDA approved

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Root root from the res temp being too high and the leaves in the res sure didn't help. I've said this a hundred times but here goes again.

When growing hydroponics use Hygrozyme. Or something similar. Hygrozyme is the best from my side by side tests and I use it at 6ml/gal in all hydroponics I run. Never have had anything but bone white roots even in warm temps. The enzyme cleans up the nasty stuff and dead root matter. It's expensive yes but so is time invested to only have to start over.

I'm sorry to say those plants are history. Once root root or pythium as it's called is detected, game over. I would toss those containers, lines, pots, etc, and clean everything with strong bleach. Definitely get some Hygrozyme!

Sorry for your lost but don't beat yourself up, it's happened to all hydroponic growers at some point.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Root rot from res temps too high.

I've grown DWC for 15+ years with only a few bouts of root rot. The key is enough aeration (without so much you're raising pH) and res temps consistently between 65F to 69F.

I do not use h202, bleach, hygrozyme or any other product to prevent rot. There's zero need.
:tiphat:

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
ran dwc one year no issues then one day they started wilting and i checked everything that could go wrong found nothing everything was on point. it was frustrating

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The others have nailed it here. Res temps were too high. That's one of the downsides to DWC... you need to either insulate the res and keep it cool in a basement environment or you have to use a chiller.

Sucks, man. Consider adding a chiller, or converting to ebb and flow, or something like that.

Actually there is a serious precursor seen in the initial "healthy" photo revealing this from the beginning; even though you didn't catch it. Water temperature over 69 on a continuous basis is a route to disaster once the bacteria levels take over the root zone there's not much more you can do, besides count your losses and lessons learned!

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry to see this m8 but they are what others have said total loss and looking at the little ones in the compost don't look to good at all either :comfort:

ChenBenTz

Wow, thanks for the help guys.

The thing is, I connected the two on the left back to the reservoir (with cooling) and they're dying even faster.

The one on the right, by itself with no cooling is still slightly green. Can it be saved? Else, I'll just cull the lot.

Also, I don't know if you see it in the photos but I have a tiny plant in soil and it's also not doing well. It's not dying, but it's not growing at all either.

Is this related?

palmeezy

let me give you some advice. i've seen your numerous threads. i have personally experienced all of these stages.

are you still growing the same strains? have you kept the same plants/genetics this whole time?

you need to get rid of all of your plants and start fresh.

heat treat your room.

you've likely got:

viral contamination (hop latent viroid)
fungal (fusarium-canna specific)

do you have any IPM? any small flying bugs? did the branches/stems become easier to break? how many grows have you done with these strains and how do you keep propagating (mother, clones before flip, etc.)