What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ONTARIO CANADA: Seeking Outdoor advice (Form and Function).

Hello,
Long time indoor grower, competitor, and judge.
I am taking my first steps into outdoor growing, I have a decade of indoor in various styles with a supplemental background in Biodynamics.

I know enough to seek advice from my peers when entering into a new endeavour. My plan is to grow seeds acclimatised to my latitude.

I'll be growing in 50 gallon white grow bags (the black looked like it would cause the root zone to heat up), and I will be positioning each plant approximately 2 meters apart for airflow. I havent figured out steaking/trellis yet, as I am not sure what type of growth to anticipate.

I'm using a shredded cedar mulch (top 3-4 inches)that I have composting/incubating with fungus. I really like this product as I find it adds a continuous source of ph-

Right now I also have 2 cubic yards of screened partially composted rabbit manure that I have mixed with a bonemeal and powdered molasses to cook during the winter-spring transition.

My intention is to buy 2 bales of a locally made promix bx product, and 2 5kg bricks of coco peat. To this I will be mixing 1kg Epsom Salt, 1/2kg Glacial Rock Dust, and 1/2kg Pyrophylte Clay.

It goes without saying that I have already investigated the presences of any undesirable contaminants (such as lead or arsenic, molybdenum).

In the past I was making super soils and had multiple composting piles with dozens of products from all over the world, and I worry that I have not invested enough time or effort into this.

My thinking is that the peat in conjunction with the shredded cedar mulch should be enough to maintain PH in a healthy root zone.

The goal is to mix up the manure piles with the amended peat mixtures. I will top dress before adding the mulch, but I haven't made up my mind about what I will be using since I am not familiar with such a long veg season (2+months)

N and P = should come from the rabbit manure and bone meal.
K = rabbit manure and cocopeat
Ca = bonemeal, peat, glacial rock dust.
Mg = Epsom Salts.
SI + Trace = Pyrophylite + Rock Dust.
The difference is that this time I am investing even more into my micro life than into multiple amendments, and I am sourcing all of my materials locally (except the coco which isn't from my area but i am buying from a local vendor).

If things go bad, my only fallback is to supplement with Botanicare PureBlend pro, or a similar hydrodynamic bottled product.

I plan to supplement with ferments and also with local ACT's using a vortex brewer. My teas vary as I usually will just pick up whatever is blooming, fruiting, or doing it's thing as I walk around my neighbourhood. If you know where to look, you can find local fungus and bacteria all around.

I know that this is long, so thank you for taking the time to read it.

Please feel free to offer any insights as to what I may overlook, neglect, or generally could benefit from.

Thanks,