What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Make old soil good again ? Cheap Electric Garden Shredder and nutes?

Hello

I want try use 50% old soilmix recharged. And 50% fresh soil in future if this is possible do?

bmc-branch-shredder-mulcher.jpg

These Electric Garden branch shredders you can find cheap today.
New Chinese made or second hand market.

It must be easy and fun make the old rootbals, stems, leafs ,soil, everthing with a machine like this?
Then you dont need hide the old ,left over stuff almost

Are they extreme Noisy ?

The best thing is that you still have the perlite left if you do this.

How do i recharge the soil without extreme smell ?
I grow indoors.

Can i use 50% of this old mix if i recharge it with nutes ?

50% new fresh soilmix, and 50% old with new nutes is my idea.

The good part is you save alot perlite and soil.
You dont need bring alot new soil indoors always.
Neighboors watch you know that. :moon:

This is more secure

Is this good idea? or stupid?

I got empty car garage outside where i like to try make this.

The machine is cheap buy today. And i feel this will be fun also ?
Money saving in the long run?
More ECO friendly ?
More Secure , you only need buy half the soil in future and perlite.
Bring alot soil home if you dont do alot outside garden job can be dangerous ?

Please help me.
I really want make this work and be good.

These machines are sexy. I like electric machines.
iTs hard work make it by hand. tHIS sexy machine does it by push buttom only.
And now it is 2019. You must have alot electric stuff :biggrin:

These smal cheap machine can maybe only handle 1 gallon size old rooted soil.

If i use bigger pots i maybe only need a handsaw to split them nice and easy in 2 or 4 parts before shredding ?

22-HS20-1.jpg

I need let the old soil rest after harwest and dry out couple weeks.
Then shred it.
Recharge it and water
Put it in Compost in the garage 1 month before mix it with new soil? 50/50?

Can i compost in old trash can? Cold car garage outside
HTB1Q2UrOpXXXXbqaXXXq6xXFXXXS.jpg

I've see a lot of broken shredders.

This can happen if you try shred sticks thicker than this in these smal cheap electric machines

black-and-decker-gs2400-garden-shredder-2.jpg

I believe old soil with old roots and canna stems is very safe for these machines anyway.

The Canna stems dont get that huge or hard in indoor grow like outside.

Thats neat ive always worked my old rootballs in the veggie garden aerate the soil alittle

Im curious if the pot get a bit lighter in weight with old soil mixed in?
Maybe this makes lightness to roots?
Maybe this also help build up very easy and also the watering drainage must be faster and better from start ?

Maybe you can also because of this have 10% less perlite ?
When mixing old soil in new, drainage must be better i think

??? :)

pump up the volume.

Please watch and listen to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzvfRWdWVnk

[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzvfRWdWVnk[/YOUTUBEIF]

:laughing:

Canna roots is tiny and soft. I dont want remove them.
I also want use this electric machine i show in start to mix with.

Pretty good info in this video. And its fun listen to this guy
:biggrin:

thailer

what you are talking about is no till or living soil style of growing. i would start googling that and you'll find all your answers. there's lots of info if you google the right search terms.

you can reuse old potting mix reammended 100% with no need to add fresh soil. it is a very discreet way of growing.

to get rid of branches, you should let them dry out completely first so they chip easier but honestly, all you'll need is a good pair of hand pruners unless you're planning on growing trees. i grow 3' round bushes and a pruner is just fine. root balls stay inside the pot and you plant next to it and you can compost all the branches too. there's compost bin designs for indoors you could easily make that would work better than a garbage bin. just don't flush it down a toilet..... :D

certain amendments will smell stronger than others and these all tend to be high in nitrogen so they create an ammonia smell. crab smells fishy but for the most part, it doesn't stink. :tiphat:

I see someone has vote this threat with only 1 star.

Why?

I am trying my best here only.
And also try make ECO system better . I think ?

Security is also calculated in here.

What would you think about neighboor that carries alot soil bags inside the house, if they never grow any rose outside?

You that wote this threat so bad Send me PM.
What is wrong?

Write it here is better open.
PM atleast ! WHY ?
Write open and tell why this sucks so bad please.

In the very end i dont give a shit.
People are different. I respect that.
We like try other ways if we feel them fun? this is personal.
You feel this is stupid, i feel this is great.
Other things that you feel great i maybe feel stupid about.
This is natural and accepted.

I am only human.
I do wrong, and i do right things.
We are all the same.
There is no perfect people.

I love this medicine.
And i love grow this medicine.
HOW ABOUT YOU?
i AM beginner maybe.
i AM also future maybe.

Give ONE STAR to this threath is not healthy at all do.
Because this is re.-use easy way talk only.

I use Guano that is far away from my home.
I want make some changes that makes me better ECO friend
if i can because of my GUANO thing

SHIKAKA

:biggrin:

thailer

i never rated your thread. i saw it rated one star, read your posts and it is pretty simple. if you even google "can you reuse potting soil" you'll find simple info. if you search for the specific terms i listed, you'll find info for cannabis growing that talks more in depth.

when i first started years ago, i would post asking for help with a list of questions and i wouldn't get much help and many posts saying i need to read more and post less. i was new and didn't understand why people wouldn't help me. i asked and asked. no one would help me. i either had to read or quit. so i read and read for over a year and it wasn't until my posts were asking for more in depth help showing that i had put in the time and effort, did i finally start getting some good help. i'm putting in time to just answer this. imagine how much time it would take to explain and type out the answer to every question you have so the only time you have to put in is the few minutes it takes to read it. without putting in the time to read, you don't store the knowledge easier and you don't fully learn. i can't hold you hand the whole way.

thailer i also got ONE STAR at other threats i start now.

This is personal. Some one is hating Russians or something else now.

Thank you anyway

We have a forum here.
We can talk, and ask how much we want i hope.

Most of the google things are 10 years old.

2019 TODAY , alot has happen.
Better nutes, better lights, better strains ?

I like 2019 info. 2009 info with old nutes, and old lights sucks today.
I respect all oldies
If you respect new growers who want try the new best things.

I like 2019 info, this is why i start my things here at ICMag.
I dont want 2009 info.

I like modern way.
You maybe like it old fashion ?

Old stoners that hate new modern users and growers must be the worst thing Do for Cannabis future ?

Im happy anyway.
i dont go down even if everything i write is 1 star only.
Someday i am better than you are old guy. THIS IS A PROMISE !

hehe

M

mrghost

No shredder. I hand cut my stems and let them drop onto my soil. This works great.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I tried one for waste some years ago. It just got blocked. They like dry twigs and branches, but stems and leaves needed drying. Wet material just bunged them up. It didn't drop. It just caked up the insides.

M

mrghost

It's better to compost in a pile. Containers tend to get anaerobic after a time.

I put wet leaves and most of my cuttings in a compost pile (I have several different systems)

Only dried leaves and stems with a lot of fiber drop onto the soil which is is covered with fresh compost and mulch after a while.

IMHO people should be way more concerned about aerated compost tea using molasses than healthy dead plant material.

To be really sure about the microbial and bacterial activity in your soil I recommend getting into soil microbiology and spending some money on a good microscope.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thailer i also got ONE STAR at other threats i start now.

This is personal. Some one is hating Russians or something else now. No....members are saying read up!

Thank you anyway

We have a forum here. Look at threads...even 10 year old info is good info.
We can talk, and ask how much we want i hope.

Most of the google things are 10 years old.

2019 TODAY , alot has happen.
Better nutes, better lights, better strains ?

I like 2019 info. 2009 info with old nutes, and old lights sucks today.
I respect all oldies
If you respect new growers who want try the new best things.

I like 2019 info, this is why i start my things here at ICMag.
I dont want 2009 info.

I like modern way.
You maybe like it old fashion ?

Old stoners that hate new modern users and growers must be the worst thing Do for Cannabis future ?

Im happy anyway.
i dont go down even if everything i write is 1 star only.
Someday i am better than you are old guy. THIS IS A PROMISE !

hehe

The Star system, can be misleading. Don't worry about it. The object of these and other forums is to share information, experience and knowledge.

Listen to what folks tell you....your ganja will be grateful, as will you!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I put wet leaves and most of my cuttings in a compost pile (I have several different systems)

Only dried leaves and stems with a lot of fiber drop onto the soil which is is covered with fresh compost and mulch after a while.

IMHO people should be way more concerned about aerated compost tea using molasses than healthy dead plant material.

To be really sure about the microbial and bacterial activity in your soil I recommend getting into soil microbiology and spending some money on a good microscope.

Like me maybe? There is nothing wrong with using molasses. It feeds bacteria and fungi equally well. The stories bashing it are based on flawed studies done by USDA and Agriculture Canada where 'tea' was inoculated with e-coli. Big surprise....it multiplied....duh. Listen to real life scientists, like Paul Stamets, not the knee jerk crowd.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Search the forums for "No Till". That's what you're looking for.

As for Stars, almost all threads don't have any stars, and we definitely don't hate them. If you have one star, that's better than most.

And we all love those crazy Russians. :D

M

mrghost

Like me maybe? There is nothing wrong with using molasses. It feeds bacteria and fungi equally well. The stories bashing it are based on flawed studies done by USDA and Agriculture Canada where 'tea' was inoculated with e-coli. Big surprise....it multiplied....duh. Listen to real life scientists, like Paul Stamets, not the knee jerk crowd.

I actually heard this from to Elaine Ingham (soil microbiologist). I'm not sure if this is scientific enough for you :biggrin:. I also know a lot about what Paul Stamets does and have a fungal compost pile aside a wormbin and a bokashi. I like diversity but still want to make sure I don't mess things up because there is - science -. So in a way we seem to agree.

I also use molasses for certain things in my garden but recently changed a few things because we never stop learning. Without context my statement was a bit stale. I fully understand.

If you feed bacteria you should be well aware which bacteria you are growing and on which plants or parts of the plant you use it.

Without the right instruments it's just a guessing game.

My next tool is a microscope (with camera, so pictures will follow) because I'm extremely interested in the science myself.

Latest posts

Latest posts