What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Decently priced LED that’ll compete with hps??

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
makes you wonder why he wants to sell it... hmmmm

i doint want selling my ..lol

i have a good source got it as New ones not used ones.. :biggrin:

for 400€ you can getting 550w dimmable quantum boards LED Panel New in frame :tiphat:

Last edited:

ganjourno

It does not make financial sense to reduce your wattage. Keep your wattage the same with LED and your power bills will stay the same, but your yields will go up ~20% over HPS. 20% more weight is going to be a lot more beneficial than saving $75 a month on your power bill, just saying...

I switched from HPS to custom LEDs based on bridgelux vero COBs. Replaced 3 x 1000W of HPS with 3000W of LED. Yields went up by 25% and quality went up significantly. The increase in yield will pay for the cost of the LEDs within two runs. Plus, I don't need to change bulbs anymore! I was hesitant to take the plunge but now that I have, I'm upset that I didn't do it sooner.

Koondense

Veteran
I don't believe it for a second.
Only hps they beat is a 150w or a heavily used 250w.
Specs speak for themselves, we don't need bold statements without pics or other proof.
Post some pics of a side by side and we can discuss, until then it's just trolling.

Cheers

Sunshineinabag

Looking to save on power bill obviously. Running 5x 600 hps... trying to find led that will compete closely with a 600hps system.. I know to a point it’s kinda apples to oranges but I’m in a bind here... after a few grows ill be getting into the Optic LEDs but not for another year. Weight over looks at this point

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352859&page=40

Sunshineinabag

People, please stop with this nonsense.

The mentioned brands are really not much better than hps. And quoting Black Dog leds is nonsense when you say you use a white led light fixture, it's a totally different product with different spectrum.

Also saying lumens from a hps vs led can't compare(but you need a par meter), you clearly need to dig deeper in the matter because there are many truths to be found.

It's been at least three good years since the cob revolution and two years since the QB evolution and it goes the same way... certain white leds are the best photon production tech for the electric input. Period.
These certain models are cree cxb cobs, bridgelux vero cobs, citizen cobs, samsung smd... and that's pretty much it. If a fixture has these parts, it will almost certainly make much more and better spectrum light than any hps light.
If a fixture has other led parts, it will most certainly be in the same or similar league as a regular hps, from the light output per watt point of view.

Anything else is mostly unrelated business people nonsense talk to make you believe one product is much better than any other brand/product.

Basics comes first, remember that.

Cheers
Yeah 98% correct, newer 90cri LEDs screw ins with the diffuser off will def surpass a hps light watt for watt as well! If u don't want big bad Crees ......just buy feit 100w replacement LEDs .....they are pretty much cobs on a smaller scale......there's plenty of successful threads here I can link that have used them to Great effect! Hps is a energy sucking obsolete piece of equipment in my opinion:tiphat:

$99 from Home Depot. I have good results using this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...2161/302456569

They made a world of difference in my grow. Lots of non-burning light. The plants respond immediately. Very nice indeed.

Pros- Price is right for a budget home depot type grow and it is a decent entry level type of light for a strip led highbay.

Cons- spectrum, heat and the poor overall quality as well as the god awful strip with the lense reflection.

For a few more dollars it would be better to have a good setup using quantum board or cob lighting. Hlg-100 is just a few bucks more.

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Does anyone have any experience with solistek b9 LED? I dont see any reviews online. Seems like a decent light. Wanna throw two LEDs in a 4x8 tent for the spring/summer months. Just need one that will compare to a 1000hps...

OP

Buckeyebandit

I have 2 HLG 600 H V2 DIY KITS in my 4x8 tent. Love them. No more hps or cmh for me

picture.php

Does anyone have any experience with solistek b9 LED? I dont see any reviews online. Seems like a decent light. Wanna throw two LEDs in a 4x8 tent for the spring/summer months. Just need one that will compare to a 1000hps...

OP

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I DO NOT agree with your cons at all.

I DO NOT agree with your cons at all.

Pros- Price is right for a budget home depot type grow and it is a decent entry level type of light for a strip led highbay.

Cons- spectrum, heat and the poor overall quality as well as the god awful strip with the lense reflection.

For a few more dollars it would be better to have a good setup using quantum board or cob lighting. Hlg-100 is just a few bucks more.

I have outstanding results using this off the shelf technology from Home Depot. I am using them in my flower room. Nice, bright, penetrating light. The light is spread evenly over a large area, no dim spots like HID. You can grow more plants in an area. You folks speculate on why it is not good, I have the results. I am completely sold on this fantastic light. The quality is great and very tiny heat is thrown off the fixture. I am going to buy another soon.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
gladysvjubb, we get that you're super impressed with these lights. Really appreciate you sharing it in the first place. No need to get all defensive though, this is a discussion and not a life/death decision being made. ;)

I have outstanding results using this off the shelf technology from Home Depot. I am using them in my flower room. Nice, bright, penetrating light. The light is spread evenly over a large area, no dim spots like HID. You can grow more plants in an area. You folks speculate on why it is not good, I have the results. I am completely sold on this fantastic light. The quality is great and very tiny heat is thrown off the fixture. I am going to buy another soon.

No speculation here, they were tested and ran in comparison. Your light wounded up being mounted in the garage and replaced by HLG panels. But if it works for you, all is well. But your the only person speculating over the pros and cons that I provided ..

Latest posts

Latest posts