What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Got Milk?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
RAW milk is... unpasteurized straight from the cow .... right? or am i missing something

Yep...no heat or other treatments that kill/destroy all the good bacteria, amino acids, carbs, lactic acids, etc. Raw Milk can be hard to find, but in So Cali, Mothers Market is where I get mine.

7.5ml per plant, every 21 days or so...and right before delivery, I add Raw Milk to all my teas (compost, guano, etc)--if the timing is right. Remember, a little goes along way.

Cheers!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
so in theory.... would female breast milk from a human provide the same....????

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
LOL...well, Raw Milk's bacteria is sourced primarily from the cow and from what the cow eats. The production of all the "bennies" in milk is from the "cow"...or "mother". So in theory what the mother eats becomes part of her breast milk (kinda getting beyond my pay grade--as microbes, bacteria, amino acids, lactic acids are not my "specialty"). That said, the objective is to provide the best food for the microbes--not to feed fertility to the soil...so why wouldn't human breast milk be a good source? Two complications I see right off--is to maintain constant availability/supply (gotta always know someone lactating) and the "eeek" factor (some squirm at the sight of their own blood).

I would think both milks would have similar makeup/elements...but I recall reading human milk is rather high in fat...cow milk is at the lower end of the spectrum.

I do know that in the foody world, cheese made from "human breast milk" is sought after. Maybe because the cheese is great or maybe cuz its "forbidden fruit" (illegal to sell...kinda like weed is/was)...hard to say. Hmmm, Italian mama cheese vs Wisconsin soccer mama cheese....which breast milk would have more "garlic undertones"?...which one would be "stubborn"....LOL, wonder if breast size matters?....Contest time!

If I had a steady eddie source for human breast milk, I certainly would consider it. Side by side experiment anyone?

Cheers!

Aotf

There are a few state who allow retail sales of raw milk. Farm sales / farm tags and pet food [North Carolina, LA?] make up a good portion along with states that don't allow any of it.

I think it is a good way of procuring starter innoculations. The cow is a sauerkraut factory after all.

That being said, the vegan grower, can certainly source similar qualities in vegan products.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...here is some info i found a few years back when i was battling pm, it turns out milk is a very effective organic fungicide that is safe to use right up to harvest.

peace, bozo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milk is a useful fungicide in the garden, and is more effective than standard chemical brands.

Researchers believe the potassium phosphate in milk boosts a plant's immune system to fight the fungi.

Where most organic gardeners use a baking soda, soap and oil solution, milk may be substituted to combat the unwanted fungus.

Preparing a Milk Solution and Spraying Schedule

The correct dilution and spraying schedule for garden plants depends on the situation and takes some trial and error.

A milk fungicide solution can range from 1 part milk to 9 parts water, to a strong, milk-only solution. A 1:1 dilution may work for a week, but a 1:8 solution requires spraying every 3 or 4 days.

Skim milk may work better than whole milk, as the higher fat milk may clog a sprayer; even reconstituted powdered milk works.

Uses for Milk Fungicide

Milk was originally used in the garden to treat powdery mildew on squash plants. It is now also commonly used on flowers such as rudebekia (Black-eyed Susans) and Begonias to cure powdery mildew.

Milk has also been used to cure Botrytis on a Cyclamen houseplant. This was applied full strength every morning (leftover breakfast milk). Rotten leaves were picked away and the plant pulled through with no more Botrytis.

Black spots and rust on roses can be controlled but not cured with milk. Fortunately, milk can prevent the spread of these fungi to other plants and new leaves. This can be very useful when bringing home a plant from the nursery and finding a black spot.

The copyright of the article Milk as a Garden Fungicide for Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, and Black Spots in Organic Gardening is owned by Deborah Turton. Permission to republish Milk as a Garden Fungicide for Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, and Black Spots in print or online must be granted by the author in writing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Arzeena Hamir
Powdery Mildew

Less than 3 years ago, researchers in South America discovered a new alternative to controlling powdery mildew. Wagner Bettiol, a scientist from Brazil, found that weekly sprays of milk controlled powdery mildew in zucchini just as effectively as synthetic fungicides such as fenarimol or benomyl. Not only was milk found to be effective at controlling the disease, it also acted as a foliar fertilizer, boosting the plant's immune system.

Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca Fuliginea. It is a serious disease that occurs worldwide. For decades, organic gardeners had to rely on making a spray from baking soda to control the disease. Now, instead of measuring out the baking soda and combining it with a surfactant (a "sticking" substance) of either oil or soap, gardeners need only head for their refrigerators.

In his experiments with zucchini plants, Bettiol found that a weekly spray of milk at a concentration of at least 10% (1 part milk to 9 parts water) significantly reduced the severity of powdery mildew infection on the plants by 90%. While some gardeners may be tempted to increase the concentration of milk for more control, Bettiol found that once concentrations rose above 30%, an innoccuous fungus began to grow on the plants. How does milk control powdery mildew?

Scientist aren't 100% sure how milk works to control this disease. It seems that milk is a natural germicide. In addition, it contains several naturally occurring salts and amino acids that are taken up by the plant. From previous experiments using sodium bicarbonate, potassium phosphate, and other salts, researchers have found that the disease is sensitive to these salts. It is possible then, that milk boosts the plant's immune system to prevent the disease.

Milk used around the world
The benefits of using milk to control powdery mildew haven't been isolated to Brazil. Melon growers in New Zealand are saving thousands of dollars every year by spraying their crops with milk instead of synthetic fungicides. The melon growers in New Zealand have been so successful that the wine industry is taking notice and beginning experiments using milk to control powdery mildew in grapes.

What kind of milk should be used?
In Bettiol's original experiment, fresh milk was used, straight from the cow. However, this is obviously not feasible to most home gardeners. The research work in New Zealand actually found that using skim milk was just as effective. Not only was it cheaper, but the fact that the milk had no fat content meant that there was less chance of any odours.

Wagner Bettiol's original article was published in the journal Crop Science (Vol. 18, 1999, pp. 489-92).

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I am making this "exception" to my rule of "not posting on ICMag for awhile"--excerpt of a blog posted by the makers of "TerraPro", a humus product that includes Raw Milk.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Right Stuff for Growing WORLD RECORD Pumpkins!

Humus that contains supramolecular humic molecules (generically called Humic Acids) and plants that are mycorrhizal are the key to successful agriculture. So implementing the use of humics that are guaranteed to be supramolecular and inoculating the crop with the mycorrhizal species Glomus intraradices will play a significant role in producing the maximum yield of any short season crop including the production of World Record Pumpkins.

Trace Minerals: Kelp is for trace minerals and since we use kelp in everything we produce at Soil Secrets, using our protocol always results in plenty of trace minerals. Don't use more if you are using TerraPro, Earth Nectar, Earth Ambrosia or Protein Crumblies at minimum label rates. Since Kelp and Raw Whole Organic Milk are major ingredients in formulating our TerraPro's humic characteristics and kelp is also used in the formulation of the other listed products, our protocol provides a healthy dose of trace minerals. For example, in acid soils Calcium is a limiting factor and all plant and animal life need Calcium. Well there's no better source or better molecular configuration for Calcium than what's found in Raw Whole Organic Milk, and the molecular configuration of the humic molecules of TerraPro are made by using milk.

What makes a plant produce biomass is the combination of energy from the sun, nitrogen from the protein coming from the soil microbiology (what we call the Soil Food Web), carbon from the atmosphere and the major base cations occupying the Cation Exchange Capacity of the soil. Hopefully your soil is dominated by the base cation Calcium, which is often the case in a high pH soil (alkaline). Cation Exchange Capacity is abbreviated CEC and if its low, often the case with sandy soil, then fortifying the site with humic molecules that have an extremely high CEC will help you hold onto those base cations you have purchased and applied to the site. Adding our supramolecular humic molecules of TerraPro will fortify additional CEC potential, helping to retain the base cation minerals that are being added to the site, for example, in the form of slow release fertilizers like Compost.

Source: http://www.soilsecretsblog.com/2014/01/the-right-stuff-for-growing-world.html

Sometimes it is good to be ahead of the curve, cheers!

Team.Lift

Thank you , that was a good post. I was just drinking some raw milk earlier... A question for anyone in the know.. Eclipse states "7.5 ml per plant" . could i put this directly in at the base or should I dilute it in water first?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Thank you , that was a good post. I was just drinking some raw milk earlier... A question for anyone in the know.. Eclipse states "7.5 ml per plant" . could i put this directly in at the base or should I dilute it in water first?

I mix it in water...if you have 4 plants and normally deliver 32 oz of fluids per plant, then I would add 4 x 7.5 = 30ml of Raw Milk in a gallon of water. If you normally do 16 oz of water per plant, then 30ml per 1/2 gallon. The rate is "per plant", not necessarily "per gallon".

Cheers!

Team.Lift

Thanks eclipse for the quick answer and posting at all! This is valuable info, bout to hook these babies up with their milk tomorrow..

Team.Lift

That I will MM, the importance of the pumpkin for me is that the claim is made based on whatever they "know". I will do the same, since my knowledge is not there yet.

I will assume hopefully that anyone posting about milk is seeing results and not just being enthusiastic. In general, I'm here to test and get ideas. Raw milk is something that I have quick and affordable access too and see it as part of a living system. This is why it appeals to me, sustainability.

I will try this slowly and one by one though.... :)

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Farmers/ranchers apply Raw Milk (both diluted and undiluted) at rates of 2-20 gallons/acre...some back up the milk tanker, open up the valves and dump it in their fields strategically.

For a fast and easy test--use your lawn. I "paint my lawn green" a couple times a year with a cocktail of Raw Milk, Molasses, Sea-90 and Fish Emulsion (hydrolyzed would be too expensive) via a hose sprayer. My dogs' pee occasionally leave burn spots on the green grass, last summer I poured about cup of soured RM (trying to empty the jug) and within days new grass growth appeared. BTW, during the summer--sunflowers are one of my favorite "test subjects" to run side by side tests...I will usually run 5-7 plants per "test", examining 10-14 plants (2 groups of 5-7 plants--test and control group) one can see and validate the differences easier...instead of comparing just 2 plants (one with and one without).

Cheers!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Shhh...Sea-90 contains 90 naturally occurring elements and about 7 exotic ones (probably sourced from outerspace...since 75% of earth's surface is ocean water) and many here on ICMag think sea salt is no bueno for plants; lol, I see no reason to rain on their parade. Link to the Sea Mineral thread--https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=81260.

Grinding Sea-90 in a coffee bean grinder makes life so much easier--measuring 5ml of Sea-90 per gallon of water is easy and accurate, and the sea solids dissolve instantly in water (no need to wait 15 minutes or so for chunks to break-down). I just had another 50 pound bag delivered, $45 plus another $41 for shipping...$86 total. Paying less than $2 per pound for trace minerals works for me!

Cheers!

I wanna try normal pasturized milk in soil, with canna nutes on an autoflower..

Think its a good idea? early in the veg stage

thanks.

Peace

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I wanna try normal pasturized milk in soil, with canna nutes on an autoflower..

Think its a good idea? early in the veg stage

thanks.

Peace

Why? Research what is in "pasteurized milk" and compare the analysis with "raw milk"--night and day. One is "natural" the other is "fortified" (to replace some of things removed by the heat treatment).

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
by Arzeena Hamir
Powdery Mildew

Less than 3 years ago, researchers in South America discovered a new alternative to controlling powdery mildew. Wagner Bettiol, a scientist from Brazil, found that weekly sprays of milk controlled powdery mildew in zucchini just as effectively as synthetic fungicides such as fenarimol or benomyl. Not only was milk found to be effective at controlling the disease, it also acted as a foliar fertilizer, boosting the plant's immune system.

HAH! Arzeena lives just outside of town. Another reason to go nag her for some sidework XD Seems to be very prominent locally, glad she moved here from Vancity.

ion

mo grow journal, but time in grade with it. to cut the chase, search wisely about raw milk and pastures....read that fist. if yer discriminate in reading, you might do a good smart trial yourself and see. im on it 9 years now. go light, pay attention to your milk in storage, refresh often, know what the farmer is doing with his/her/it's bovine....maybe separate slightly to get a bit of the heavy off, dump that shit in your coffee oh so yum.

the early trials, in nebraska i think, made me dive in. interesting reads.

ymmv, fwiw, lol, have a good one!