What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Got Milk?

S

SeaMaiden

Gotta love milk!

Does it have to be cow's milk? I think perhaps not, except for that goat milk yogurt experiment of my sister's. It didn't turn into yogurt and we were afraid to try it.

Calcium is probably one of the more important factors in milk, but after reading some stuff in my October issue of Acres, U.S.A. I'm thinking that the aminos may come in a very close second, and interestingly enough, the lipids available, of which there is precious little in a skimmed milk. So perhaps it might be better to simply use whole milk.

ion

ah yes, the raw.

research the Weston Price foundation to find out the bennies of raw milk....then you'll understand why they send the brute squad out to amish farmers in NY and raid storefronts(in full battle gear) in LA. its so dangerous ya know........

ive been drinking raw and applying it to gardens/plants for a few years now. do it!

mad librettist

Veteran
Gotta love milk!

Does it have to be cow's milk? I think perhaps not, except for that goat milk yogurt experiment of my sister's. It didn't turn into yogurt and we were afraid to try it.

Calcium is probably one of the more important factors in milk, but after reading some stuff in my October issue of Acres, U.S.A. I'm thinking that the aminos may come in a very close second, and interestingly enough, the lipids available, of which there is precious little in a skimmed milk. So perhaps it might be better to simply use whole milk.

your milk may have had a cold! seriously, when your yogurt gets a virus, it doesn't become yogurt. bacteriophages are a big problem in yogurt making.

S

SeaMaiden

So, maybe we should try it again. The thing is, what we couldn't determine was how best to inoculate the goat milk. All I have access to is cow's milk yogurts, and I went for my favorite Greek yogurt, Fage. I've made tons of yogurt using a bit of Fage as the mother (I make it in the microwave, and yes, it works just fine, keep the culture going just fine as well). So I sent my sister off with some Fage and she went and got goat milk, used the Fage as the mother and it didn't work.

You've got me thinkin' now.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Time to blow some life in this old thread. A recent Raw Milk convert just forwarded me these three pieces of information that I thought SOME (not everyone) would find interesting.

First, Raw Milk is compared to a commercial product called Sumagrow (a cocktail of 30 microorganisms). The tests were done on Mid Rib (BMR) Sorghum without adding any fertilizers and Sumagrow produced 2.35 lbs of ADG (average daily grain), Raw Milk produced 2.26 lbs, while the control and ammonium nitrate produced 2.08 lbs. Although Sumagrow bested Raw Milk by 0.09 lbs ADG, the dosage was 2 gallons of acre, not the 3-5 gallons per acre that is recommended for Raw Milk.

Interesting to see Raw Milk compared to a commercial "effective microorganism" product. Oh the cost? One gallon of Sumagrow (the amount they used per acre) is $85 plus shipping...and 2 gallons of Raw Milk (the amount they used in the trial) is around $15 or so.

Source--http://sumagrow.org/uploads/Kentucky__Murray_State_Forage__ADG.pdf

Second. A few universities are conducting "Raw Milk Fertilizer" studies and here is a link to one of them--http://www.warren-wilson.edu/~research/Undergrad_Res/NSS2011-2012/AbstractsFall2011/POConnor.pdf

And thirdly, SARE (Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education) is conducting a research titled, "Raw waste milk as a pasture amendment"--

Summary
"Pastures are an integral component of livestock production in the northeast, particularly for organic dairies and small, diversified farms. One challenge for many new pasture based farms is the need to renovate old, deteriorated pastures. Spaying dilute raw milk onto pastures is a novel, untested practice that has recently gained widespread prominence as a potential means of increasing forage production and quality. Farmers are also interested in learning about other products and procedures. Graziers need a reliable means of testing pasture improvement tools. On-farm testing allows the farmer to trial a certain product or technology at a lower cost and under the farm’s specific conditions before adopting it on a much larger scale. Such practices have the potential to save farmers money and time while encouraging innovation and experimentation. This partnership project will investigate if foliar applications of dilute raw milk on pasture will improve the productivity, palatability and quality of pasture using on an on-farm testing method on two organic dairy farms.

The experiment will also provide graziers with a model research method that could be replicated on other farms in order to test other products and practices on pasture. Outreach will be accomplished by a fact sheet, pamphlet, On-Farm Testing template,and through the Vermont Grass Farmers Association events and newsletter, the Northeast Pasture Consortium.

Objectives/Performance Targets
We propose to conduct on-farm research investigating if a dilute foliar application of waste milk to pastures can increase forage production and quality under Vermont conditions. The experiment will also provide graziers with a model research method that could be replicated on other farms in order to test other products and practices on pasture.

Objective 1: Assess changes in pasture soil health, and forage production, quality, and palatability that occur as a result of a dilute foliar application of waste (or raw) milk.

Objective 2: Provide graziers with a prototype On-Farm Testing (OFT) methodology that can be replicated on other farms in order to test other products and practices."

Souce-http://mysare.sare.org/mySARE/ProjectReport.aspx?do=viewRept&pn=ONE12-155&y=2012&t=2

I think this one will be the one to watch.

Got Milk?

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I have used powdered milk in my compost and soil a bunch of times. Does it do anything special, I don't know; everything seems to work out OK no matter what goes in. It certainly does no harm. Smells awful.
I use a shitload, by the numbers cited.
I toss a bag,not sure of the # but certainly makes many gallons of milk, into about 65 gal of compost. And have used less in soil from time to time. Like I said, it stinks pretty bad. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Last edited:

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I have used powdered milk in my compost and soil a bunch of times. Does it do anything special, I don't know; everything seems to work out OK no matter what goes in. It certainly does no harm. Smells awful.
I use a shitload, by the numbers cited.
I toss a bag,not sure of the # but certainly makes many gallons of milk, into about 65 gal of compost. And have use less in soil from time to time. Like I said, it stinks pretty bad. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Thought about powdered milk, then I discovered the fresh bacteria in raw milk "goes poof" the moment milk is heated. But you definitely are doing something if the microherd can take in the benefits of your "lacto powder". Don't know about the stink smell...soils should smell rich and healthy.

Did a wee bit research on that Sumagrow microorganism product and some are suggesting EM-1 and Sumagrow are "comparable products". Don't know if one is better than the other, but between Raw Milk and some off-the-shelf microorganism products, the difference in prices sometimes are a "decimal point".

My theory as to why Raw Milk is not widely recommended by those in the horticulture industry (hydo, farm & landscaping suppliers, nurseries, mail order suppliers, etc) hmmmmm, maybe it is because: THEY CAN NOT MAKE ANY MONEY ON IT! Very hard to make a profit on stuff that retails for $7 a gallon and must be refrigerated 24/7. I checked out the hydro store last week, I counted on one hand the number of liter bottles priced below $20...and this place is stocked well. Do not see any day soon, Raw Milk becoming a hydro store friendly product.

Besides, there is a thing called "price competition" with the established grocery/health food stores. Who in their right mind would pay a hydro shop $20 (even if the label had a dozen cartoon characters)...when Mothers Market sells Raw Milk that is both--fresher and a fourth of the price?

At least that is my theory....btw, same can be said about Garrett Juice (which works great). You don't see that anywhere and Garrett Juice is sooo easy to make...if you have compost tea; without the tea...it is impossible to make.

S

SeaMaiden

I think perhaps there may also be issues with sourcing and storage of the raw milk.

We finally got some, it's about$15/gal, but that's still less than, say, a gallon of Fox Farms Big Bloom.

I haven't a clue what Garrett Juice is. Do I need to start growing Garretts and juicing them?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I think perhaps there may also be issues with sourcing and storage of the raw milk.

We finally got some, it's about$15/gal, but that's still less than, say, a gallon of Fox Farms Big Bloom.

I haven't a clue what Garrett Juice is. Do I need to start growing Garretts and juicing them?

LOL...YEP, and for infinite shelf life....drop a few chromium "muffler bearings" into the solution!

Seriously, Garrett Juice is a very safe ORGANIC pesticide that will work on "fungus gnats" and other critters we all have learned to hate!

Garrett Juice

Garrett Juice evolved over a period of years as I would tell readers and callers how to make an effective foliar feeding mix. The mix has always had compost, tea, molasses and seaweed, but the other ingredients have varied. Through trial and error, we came to the basic mix we use today. As always, my formulas are for making the mix at home, but there are commercial products on the market for convenience.

To make your own, here are the instructions:

Mix the following in a gallon of water.

Garrett Juice (ready to spray):
1 cup compost tea
1 ounce molasses
1 ounce natural apple cider vinegar
1 ounce liquid seaweed

For Garrett Juice Plus and more fertilizer value add:
1- 2 ounces of liquid fish (fish hydrolysate) per gallon of spray.

For disease and insect control add:
¼ cup garlic tea or
¼ cup garlic/pepper tea
or 1 - 2 ounce of orange oil

For homemade fire ant killer add: 2 ounces of orange oil per gallon of Garrett Juice

Note 1: To avoid burning plant foliage, the ready-to-use solution should not have more than 2 ounces of orange oil per gallon of spray.

Note 2: We now know why the mix works so well, not only on the foliage, but also in the soil. The ingredients are a well balanced blend of nutrients and food for both beneficial fungi and bacteria.

Garrett Juice Concentrate: Mix the following: 1 gallon of compost tea or liquid humate, 1 pint liquid seaweed, 1 pint apple cider vinegar, and 1 pint molasses. To make Garrett Juice Plus add 1 pint fish hydrolysate. Use 1½ cups per gallon of water for the spray.

Source: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Garrett-Juice-br_vq2210.htm

Cheers!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
It looks like a big piece of that link is missing. Do you have a link to the whole thing?

Not on the Raw Milk comparison. But the company is not bashful in testing, "SumaGrow's forage boost products have been field tested by independent PhDs, independent testing facilities and major universities in 25 separate field trials in 13 states comparing their effectiveness to conventional fertilizer on a variety of grasses in different climates and soil conditions."

Information on University Michigan and Mississippi State University tomato trials--This paper also includes the results of individual farmers who compared one test plot versus another test plot on their farms and achieved significant crop yield increases while reducing/eliminating fertilizer, and anecdotally, using less water and fewer pesticides.http://www.farmorganix.com/pdf/Farmorganix_Growmega%20Tomato%20Data%202012.pdf

Independent study by Arise Research on Nitrate Runoff Reduction with Sumagrow...all 43 pages of it. http://essentialshield.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Sumagrow-Water-report.pdf

Sumagrow & Arise info: http://thegrowpros.com/arise-research-tests-sumagrow/

I would imagine the quality of the Raw Milk Field Trials were similar in style and procedure.

Hope this helps.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Whey fertilizer...very costly but similar to Raw Milk--but at a fraction of the cost. An older USDA report discussing "Cheese Whey as a Soil Conditioner" concluded:

"Both sweet and acid wheys have been beneficially used to improve physical and chemical soil properties. Whey, especially acid whey, is an ideal amendment for sodic and saline-sodic soils if sodium chloride has not been added during manufacture of the cheese. Incorporated whey increases soil structure and aggregate stability. Whey applied to irrigation furrows, with or without straw mulch, prior to irrigation greatly reduces furrow erosion. Whey is rapidly decomposed when added to soils at moderate (up to 500 m3 ha-I ) rates, and the N, P, and K from whey becomes available to crops within a few days to a few weeks of application."

Source: http://eprints.nwisrl.ars.usda.gov/807/1/957.pdf

And a little teaser regarding the use of rhizobial inoculation, mycorrhiza and whey:

"Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus (AMF) inoculation, alone or in combination with other treatments, was very effective under rain-fed conditions, resulting in large increases in yield, root colonization and phosphorus content of the seed and shoot. On the other hand, rhizobial inoculation increased significantly all traits examined, particularly root nodulation and the nitrogen content of seeds and shoots under irrigated conditions. Whey combined with AMF significantly increased root colonization while its combination with Rhizobium increased the number of nodules. Combinations of two or three treatments were more effective than individual applications. The greatest yield, root colonization and nodulation were obtained from the combination of all three treatments under irrigation."

Source: http://libra.msra.cn/Publication/49370818/effects-of-rhizobium-arbuscular-mycorrhiza-and-whey-applications-on-some-properties-in-chickpea

Hmm....Great White is how much an ounce?

BTW...don't look for Raw Milk at your hydro/greenhouse/nursery. There is no profit for them so they will not sell it. In fact, I don't think they sell a gallon of anything for less than $8...which is what I pay for a gallon of Raw Milk.

Cheers!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Bump--and outdoor tip:

Killer outdoor spray I use on my grass and veggies--it is like painting everything "green".

60-70% liquid fish (hydrolyzed, emulsion, etc.)
20-30% Raw Milk
10% Blackstrap Molasses

Put this in your garden hose sprayer and spray away. Veggies ate it up and my lawn has never been greener!

BTW...I now use "Raw Whole Milk"...instead of the "skim" variety. Rationale, the extra fat in whole milk is good for the soil.

Cheers!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
RAW milk is... unpasteurized straight from the cow .... right? or am i missing something

Latest posts

Latest posts