What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

-The Social Dilemma-

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Who has watched it? Its a pretty good Netflix documentary, u can see its true when you go on any social site and look at the rhetoric. I think everyone should watch it.
I learned a lot of the info it gives from a class called Coms 101: Mass Media Communication and Information Management at Sac State, but its crazy having some of the actual designers break it down and show their regret and want tk make it better.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Would like to watch it but don't have Netflix.

I wonder if zuckerberg has any regrets or really wants to make things better or even cares at all about anything beyond money and success?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran

I wonder if zuckerberg has any regrets or really wants to make things better or even cares at all about anything beyond money and success?

I dont know. When I seen him talk, Im not exactly sure he is even human. I think he either a robot or alien. But leaning toward alien robot. :laughing:

St. Phatty

Zuckerberg bought 1 city block in Palo Alto, and 1 square mile in Hawaii.

in so doing, he forced out the habitat for hundreds of local people.

I hope the Da Hui (Hawaiian Surfer Gang) feed his entrails to the porpoises.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I watched it. I hated the idea of being a product as they pictured it. Since seeing it, ive actually removed myself from social media.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I watched it. I hated the idea of being a product as they pictured it. Since seeing it, ive actually removed myself from social media.

Yeah I been deleting my facebook for a few months then gettin back ever since I took that class in like 2016, mainly when Im learnin something like photography n wanna talk to people in the groups. I used to tell people all the little “what game of thrones character are you?” N all that quizes were actually collecting data and making psychological profiles of you and they would tell me ima conspiracy theorist. Like bruh i learned this shit in college the info is available. Smdh. But now Im glad they made this movie, its good to hear it from the actual creators, and good to know they are making an effort to make this knowledge more mainstream.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I been deleting my facebook for a few months then gettin back ever since I took that class in like 2016, mainly when Im learnin something like photography n wanna talk to people in the groups. I used to tell people all the little “what game of thrones character are you?” N all that quizes were actually collecting data and making psychological profiles of you and they would tell me ima conspiracy theorist. Like bruh i learned this shit in college the info is available. Smdh. But now Im glad they made this movie, its good to hear it from the actual creators, and good to know they are making an effort to make this knowledge more mainstream.

Totally, i really appreciated it a lot!

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
so eye opening and enlightening but truthfully it really just reconfirms what i already knew. what surprised me is the lengths they will go to in order to suck you in. there really is an aspect to it that should cause concern for any level headed person. i have reconsidered my entire online presence and even took the time to consider whether icmag could be considered social media.(spoiler-i will never stop coming to icmag)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
TBH it blows my mind people aren't self aware enough to know their actions have been engineered.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Karl Popper

In his classic political science book, The Open Society and Its Enemies, volume I, The Spell of Plato (1945), Karl Popper examined the application of the critical and rational methods of science to the problems of the open society. In this respect, he made a crucial distinction between the principles of democratic social engineering (what he called "piecemeal social engineering") and Utopian social engineering.

Popper wrote:

The piecemeal engineer will, accordingly, adopt the method of searching for, and fighting against, the greatest and most urgent evils of society, rather than searching for, and fighting for, its greatest ultimate good.[15]

According to Popper, the difference between "piecemeal social engineering" and "Utopian social engineering" is:

"It is the difference between a reasonable method of improving the lot of man, and a method which, if really tried, may easily lead to an intolerable increase in human suffering.

It is the difference between a method which can be applied at any moment, and a method whose advocacy may easily become a means of continually postponing action until a later date, when conditions are more favorable. And it is also the difference between the only method of improving matters which has so far been really successful, at any time, and in any place, and a method which, wherever it has been tried, has led only to the use of violence in place of reason, and if not to its own abandonment, at any rate to that of its original blueprint -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(political_science)

Sunshineinabag

When unicell offered (awhile ago yes) phones..even before flip phones...just before blackberries.....I noticed folks making digital excuses for not physical interacting with folks they used to. I still say I respect a handshake a hellofalot more then a like button lol

sbeanonnamellow

While it may not be the exact same platform, I can't help but think Netflix is more similar to social media than not. Of course the discussions aren't had on a specific Netflix website or platform, but they are had across a variety of platforms talking about the most recent content.

Like Tiger King a few months ago was all that people were talking about, now it's how Facebook is socially engineering them.

A little secret, maybe not such a secret, everything is programming our decisions.

Your thoughts and feelings come from your past memories. If you think and feel a certain way, you begin to create an attitude. An attitude is a cycle of short-term thoughts and feelings experienced over and over again. Attitudes are shortened states of being. If you string a series of attitudes together, you create a belief. Beliefs are more elongated states of being and tend to become subconscious. When you add beliefs together, you create a perception. Your perceptions have everything to do with the choices you make, the behaviors you exhibit, the relationships you chose, and the realities you create.
~ Joe Dispenza

X

xavier7995

Can you just make a throwaway FB account linked to a dummy email to be able to access what is necessary? I have been lucky enough to avoid having to have a fb, I had it once many years back but I just didn't give a shit what kids from high school were doing now. Once or twice a year theres something i want so talk my wife into going on and signing up for whatever offer.

An understanding of the technology (and psychology...cant quite think of the right word) and what these companies do would help solve some of the divide in the country.

Veggia farmer

Watched it. Did anyone notice some of the last thing said: "That`s why I dont have cookies in my pocket."

I always brows in private and use a VPN. You could then easily see that certain sites change from were your server are placed at, or when you place a couple of searches on certain topics from what they show you.