What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guerrilla auto-Irrigation (Watering your plants when you aren't there)

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Last year, around outdoor planting time, I was reading the sticky thread on OG titled "Irrigation 101", by The clone stranger.
I came across descriptions of battery operated timers used to control irrigations systems over long periods of time, with little need for attention from the grower.
I often dreamed a thing like this might exist, that silver bullet that might slay the beast that is my summer. Last year we had more than 45 days over 90F(7 of those over 100F), and we had about 3" of rain between July 1st and Sept 1st.
Basicly the bulk of my growing season resembles a yearly drought.

These dry conditions mean 1-2 trips a week with as much water as can haul. Also I share the woods with deer hunters from late August all the way to harvest in October. I love to visit my plants, but when the buds get fat, and the bow hunters are thick, I get paranoid.
My hope is a irrigation system using one of these timers will be the answer to my problems.

It was too late to start with a system last year, so I used the same thing in my vegtable garden as a test.

The first part of the system is a water source, a creek, a pond, or like I will do, a reservoir.

**Link to my rez thread**

Other examples of a rez would be Fuel/oil drums, plastic barrels, garbage cans, etc etc. Anything you can hold lots of water in.

The plot should be located down hill from the water source, this will allow the water to move by natural gravity flow though the pipe to the system at the plot.

PVC, or poly pipe would be best for moving water from the rez to the plot, garden hose could work, but I fear it would be easily destroyed by rodents and prone to leaking.
With my rez, I will use the gravity flow to draw water up from my rez, rather than installing a outflow at the bottom of my rez, which may leak later on.

Next down the line is the water timer.

My timer is a Gilmour electronic. It can be set to open any day of the week, or every day if you like. There are many brands of similar timers on the market right now, I got mine at Lowes.

After the timer you would place what ever you are going to use to brach out to the plants. My method uses a Rainbird "Hydroport".

The hydroport performs two functions for me. The first is to branch out the smaller lines to the plants, the second task is regulating the flow to each plants line.

The screws allow me to ajust the flow to each plant, which is important because the natural flow of the water could be very erratic for each line(one plant may recieve half the water its neighbors get).
Also this ajustment allows you to control the overall water usage, along with the water timer you can give your plants a exact ammount of water each time, allowing you to budget your water in case you have a limited supply.
Some folks use flow ajusters at the end of each plants line insted of in one unit like I do, I like that idea as well, it should give you alot of control over flow.

I had the timer hooked up to several hydroports through out the garden, 26 plants on the system, running on gravity flow. It worked great! I intend to hook my whole garden up this year, along with most of my weed out in the bush.

It is very important to put screens in as many places in the system as you can. And it is very important to make sure the water feeding the system is as clean as possible, if you are using a natural source make sure you have a good sediment filter to keep crap out of your line.
When you visit the plot, the screens should be the first things you check. You don't want to visit after 3 weeks and find the system plugged, and plants wilted.

I am planning to do 3 of these this year, more if I have the time.

Stoner133

Your vegetable test garden looks great, never missed a sip. How was the cauliflower?

Are you thinking three reservoirs? That is a lot of water, but you have to make hay while the Sun is shining.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Yeah, 3 rez in 3 different spots. One 200gallon and 2 100gallon. The paint pic is a old one from when I was wanting to use several smaller containers at each plot.

HOVAH

great work BackCountry , I cant want for your grow to start man!
OH HEAH , I plan on growing outside too ,can you give a good soil mix that will last the whole grow, im growin 50 plants ....thanks man 1HOVAH :joint:
A little something 4 all the trouble :sasmokin: PEACE

Last edited:

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
it seems like a great plan but to me all this stuff near or at my grow site would make me uncomfortable as to more stuff to give away my location. although if i dealt with a dry season like you did back country this would be right up my alley.

Nice work, i have previously started on a guerilla watering system idea also. Here it is flat and will be running around 40 plants, so unfortunately I am having to use a few car batteries to power a small pump, two barrels (camouflaged) setup somehat like yours with timers, and run drip lines to the pots. Hopefully it will be executed with optimal results, but you never know.

I

irie-i

ive been through lots of timers, all but one seem to suck. the gilmours leak, one drop at a time, the orbits wont work if the pressure is low for some reason,. ive found that nelson has the best timer. its called the easy step or something like that.

for sediment filter in the resi i just cut the bottom off a pop bottle and ducktape a sock over it.

to avoid clogged lines use 1/8" in 1/4" spagetti hose

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
My Gilmour worked great all around on a very low pressure line, all summer long.

In my opinion, the best thing is to make sure nothing but clean water gets in your rez to begin with.

Last edited:

bbudd

Buddy of mine used a solar collector and a couple batterys to run pump and timers-kept time on site to a minimum

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
Hey, last year i pm'd about upwards irrigation and u told me wat to.. well i ended up buying all the stuff except the pump.. n then i found out i couldnt afford it! lol maybe this season ill be able to use it.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
bbudd-I cringe every time people talk about putting solar panels out at their grows, its like leaving a permenent signal mirror for the planes/heliocopters. A reasonable sized grow can be irrigated for the season with only 1 large deep cycle battery, no need to recharge. Multiple batteries can be wired together to provide longer lasting power. If nothing else, I would be willing to haul in batteries to keep the grow going if necessary, to avoid the shiny solar panel.

T.doT.Toker-Hmmmm you are using a different handle these days, were you the guy who needed a way to time a 12volt pump, or the guy who wanted to us a version of my irrigation system with a gas pump?

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
in my opinion thre best way is a rainwater tank that gives the water to the plants working with the downhill sistem...some pipes with a couple of valves....

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
The 1 who wantd to use gas pump... my last name was thedopeman but for some reason ive been like disabled or something :S im gonna have to use the pump if i wanan grow alot of plants. how do i give nutrients to the plants if i dont have a reservoir?

dmcheatw

tag!

backcountry, do u only post specific to ICmag nowadays? i'll be following ur threads closely cause u are one smart old fart.

I want to draw from a creek to water my plants and I was curious as to how u filter out the sediment which is suspened in the flowing water?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
WAMEN-Yeah, I prefer to use natural sources to run my grow, water from right around me, and gravity pulling the water for me.

T.doT.Toker-I'd heavily enrich the soil with good organic ferts(animal manures like Steer), or use time release ferts like osmocote if I didn't care about the Organic factor. But since you will need to go start your gas pump each time, you could water with teas, or MG/Peters by hand.

dmcheatw-I'm actually not all that old, heheh. I'm definatly a Generation X'er, or maybe even a bit younger than that even.

Here is a prefilter I made from fiberglass window screen, PVC pipe, Fishing line, and plumbing/hose fittings.

Any questions on how to build it? Or do the pics tell the story?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
dmcheatw-I forgot to answer all your questions. As for the cost? I'll do a run down off the top of my head(may not be totally accurate) for the parts for the actual irrigation system itself.

All at Lowes
$28.98-Gilmour water timer
$5-brass hose thread adapter for connecting timer & Hydro-port
$6.84-Hydro-port
$10?-1/4" drip tube, 50' roll

what other parts you use depend on how you are feeding the system, from a rez, from a creek, etc.

The parts comming from the rez will be painted 1/2" PVC pipe, not too spendy.

The 50' garden hoses were picked up for $10 a piece I think, or less.

Stoner133

One question, where does the watermelon go? ;)

Your residue should be filling nicely this time of the year.