What's new

Finding a good mother plant

Gstone

After you germinate your seeds do you let them veg for a bit and then throw them in to 12/12 for a week or two to sex them or what? I juat want to find a good female plant and put it back into veg so it can be my mother plant. Is that the best method?

Thanks
:tiphat:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
If you have the space, take a clone of each and throw it into 12/12 under a different light for a few weeks and see what sex each plant is.

If you DON'T have the space, you can always revert one of your plants after harvest. Just leave a couple of leaves and a couple of pieces of popcorn on the bottom when you harvest and put her back on 18/6.

If you don't wanna risk that, you can take some cuttings the moment you sex them and keep those clones as mothers.

I still have the mom that came from my first grow. Her clone-daughters are regulars in my cab.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I take 2 clones from each seedlings; root those and keep them in veg.
Make sure you label which mother they come from, make sure to use a permanent marker, I have misted clones and in handling them wiped off the labels :cuss:
Throw the seedling into flowering and as you eliminate the males kill their corresponding clones.

Basically what Anti mentioned.

D

Danny-boy777

Hi Gstone, Good question firstly, as I was wondering one thing with regard to your initial question, Stress (cutting clones) is supposed to make a plant herm, so In theory if I take a revegged(stress) mother and use her to clone,will my clones develop a herm trait as well? as I was under the impression that its genetics that decide, hence my obvious confusion.

Thanks for the opp,

Keep trucking.

Namaste :joint:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Hi Gstone, Good question firstly, as I was wondering one thing with regard to your initial question, Stress (cutting clones) is supposed to make a plant herm, so In theory if I take a revegged(stress) mother and use her to clone,will my clones develop a herm trait:

Nah, you should be fine. If taking a cutting causes your plant to herm yoU've got some weak genetics. Almost all of my cab is filled with clones off a reverted plant. Many cycles later and still female. Pics of process in my albums and my thread.

D

Danny-boy777

One more for ya Anti, does the plants loose vigour? when cloning off the same plant over and over?

O

OZZ

Not that I've experienced. My clones are still just as vigorous 5+ years later. I re-do my mothers every so often.

D

Danny-boy777

As genetics go,the laws apply and in theory the constant cloning should depreciate hybrid vigor,? Im simply curious as seeds have been 90% of my success and the most tiresome process ever. I want things to speed up if you will, I have had plenty experience with cloning many different types of plants and this rule applies,but as we all know each species of plant is different in their workings and this one (marijuana) in particular is a super specific intricate plant,.

But as far as I've heard most people suffer no issues with the clones becoming weaker,so SOG here I come :)

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I have kept mother for years with no ill effect.
I bonsai them and at some point had 3 or 4 for varieties.
I never noticed them to be any less than the original.
Where it can get tricky is when you have no mother and clone from other clones regularly.
Some members say they do it will no drop in quality but aside from sexing in the beginning it's not something I like to do.
Seedlings are special in that they start with a tap root, if started and transpalnted on time I always found that a plant grown from seed had a particularly strong taproot given the proper transplanting from the beginning.
I doubt it makes for a better end product but it's something I've noticed and really shows the importance of proper rooting.