What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Saving a rare clone

O

OZZ

I have a clone of a hard to obtain strain. It was properly rooted and planted, but was mistakenly placed into the wrong mix. It was heavily burnt. The clone was already very weak to begin with. At this point it has no roots remaining. It is just a stem with ONE dime sized leaf that is semi wilted and light green. Barely alive. Any way I can pull out a hailmary and get this thing to last the time it takes to root and get some new growth. Damnit.

zenoonez

Veteran
Shit thats a hard one. Maybe a bubble cloner or aerocloner and some praying? Unless you know how to tissue culture...

O

OZZ

So my only option is tissue culture? Is there any way I could freeze/preserve a stem and do this/have it done in the future?

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
quick ,,,throw that bitch into flower..I did this several times to dying clones /plants .Ive managed to save quite a few rare ones.It doesn't always work .But often it does.Just my 2 cents..

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a real time example..just for subjects sake..

Attachments

• kush.jpg
    kush.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 5
O

OZZ

The thing is this clone is about 1 1/2 inches long, has zero roots now, and has one tiny little leave partially burnt left, that is wilting. For all intents and purposes.. it is dead, while the stem is still green inside. You're saying I should throw this into flower and it's going to get new growth without roots/leaves?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I would mix 1/3 earth worm castings with 2/3 rinsed perlite, drop the stem with a fresh diagonal cut (sterile) to the lowest part of the stem and dome it.
Use a clear beercup for the mix and another fliped over and attached with some tape for the dome.
Mist every now and again, with no roots or leaves geeting water to it will be hard.
Good luck :hotbounce

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i hate to admit ive gotten skilled at fixing my fuckups but ...

I would add to suby's suggestion that you soak the cut in a solution of water and some kelp,I have had success with maxicrop, kelpak and nitrozime in use for pre-soak

if its a stressed cut id feel safer using kelpak or maxicrop though i had no issues with nitrozime its hotter

maintaining humidity is essential cause its living off of foliar mechanisms not the roots, but i have saved plants from full wilt and many sick and dying cut this way

good luck

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well if its on its last legs,most def put it under hid lighting not flouro's at the least .For best chance of survival...

and you could also try using a dome on it,some people say no cause of rot.But i you monitor it ,it might work

Last edited:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Personally I would ph a rockwool cube to 5, and then place the plant in carefully and soak it with mostly water, and just a drop of veg nutes say to a litre of water. Then place under a bluer spectrum light, but not intense - slightly shaded.

I have done this with almost dead clones before with excellent success. Yours sounds really bad, but I think giving her a little less light than normal would be easier on her. Also, a little cool atmospere with high humidity will slow down the chlorophyll from being used up, hense letting the plant hopefully live long enough to root.

Everyone has ther own method, and they all sound good - we are probably confusing you more than helping lol. I hope all goes well for her.

Is there a rare chance you can source another cut somewhere else?

TGT

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I'm not really sure about the best way to revive that clone but if you do and it's a clone only strain, try colloidal silver. Create feminized seed. I'm trying it now for a clone only strain.

Protea

when i was a very new grower, I had a clone that got so burnt that it only had one leaf, and the grow tip was completely burned away. i just left if to see what would happen, and after 6-7 weeks, after i had cut of the burnt grow tip, it started to grow again, now it is one of my mums, so i would try to cut away all the burnt bits, and leave it in normally moist soil, and wait. but i didn't check on the roots, and it wasn't a valuable clone so maybe you should try one of the other suggestions. i have found that when i don't know what to do, or don't have the equipment to do what i want, just waiting and letting the plant sort it out for it self has shown surprisingly good results.

Latest posts

Latest posts