What's new

help me grow chronic in my spare bedroom

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
ok so im planning on growing in a spare bedroom of the house that I live in...Most likley for my first run I willing be doing soil cuz I really do not have that much cash for a hydro setup...Anyway I have so many questions...the room I will be using is 13 x 9

what would the best way to cool the room and the the best idea for freash air exchange? out the window or through the vent in the ceiling into the attic...

what are the best kind of inline fans as far as the quietist...how many fans should i need an what cmf..6 inch or 4

also odor control is a must I mean zero smell outside of the grow room an the basement under the room...I know i need to use a charcoal filter just what size do u think

also its getting to be winter here so i know were going to be using the heat for the house how can I keep the heat from going into the grow room via the vents

I want to get the most yield possible using soil so I need strain recommendation in seed form available from da bay...also should i use more lights then 4k an what kind of reflectors... i was looking at the mangum xxls

Should i use an window ac unit? Or just vent in cold air from outside

well Thats good for now... I hope these questions make sense
heres da room I will be using see the vent in the ceiling that leads to the attic
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01797.jpg
    DSC01797.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC01798.jpg
    DSC01798.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01799.jpg
    DSC01799.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01800.jpg
    DSC01800.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Well, you could fit 6 kw in there easily.

With that much light, co2 would really be worth getting, then you wouldn't need fresh air exchanges.

Window unit a/c, ~15,000 btu

Pond liner on the floor

Magnum XXXL has a great light distribution, but you could save enough money to get co2 by using a econowing reflector. The co2 would increase yield much more than a better reflector.

To keep the ceiling vent from blowing hot air into the room, go in the attic and disconnect the duct and cap both ends.

Carbon filter, get the biggest one you can afford. It will probably need an 8" fan or 10" fan.

It doesn't matter which 8" or 10" fan you get, it won't be quiet. It might could be quiet if you had 2 6" S&P fans with their own carbon filter and a muffler on each.

Hope that helps.

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
man Im on a super tight budget for this first grow as i been out of work for almost a year now....It will prolly take me two months to raise 4 grand lol...
what would u do wit this room on the least amount of money an yield was the main goal?

see those vents that wrap around the walls on the floor i think thats were the heat comes from and ac from the ceiling vent i will have to check on it I just moved here bout a month ago

what kind of co2 system should I use the burner kind or the bottle kind wit the valve?
yeah those magnum xxls are expensive guess I would be better off with inexpensive an reflector an use co2

how many plants would I be able able to fit in there? under 6 k like 30-60??? what size pots ??

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
You could do it for a lot less than $4k

Personally, I like the co2 burners. It looks normal to carry around a propane tank, not so with 20 lb gas tanks.

If you want to save even more money, you could do without co2 and use fresh air to cool the room and to exhaust O2.

If your trying to do it on the super cheap, you could use the heat from that room to heat your house buy running the exhaust of your carbon filter into the vent in your ceiling and exhausting into another room. You would have to alter the ducts in the attic buy capping off 2 ducts coming from the heating unit, one to the grow room and the room your carbon scrubber will be exhausting into, and running a duct from the grow room to another room.

You also won't need an a/c if you run your lights at night when it is cool.

If air exits the grow room you will need an adequate intake, you can either leave the door cracked, or make an intake in the window you will be covering up. Open the window you'll be covering up and use a piece of plywood to cover the window on the inside behind the blinds. Close the blinds so the plywood isn't in direct view. Cut 2 6" holes at the top of the plywood and put duct adapters in them, then tape some flexi-duct on each adapter and just let them hang down a few feet to keep the light out.

You can put an attic fan thermostat on your carbon scrubber, so it will only cut on to cool the room/heat your house.

As for plant counts, the more you have the less veg time needed. I like 9 per light, so 7 packs of fem beans should cover it with a few to spare.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
plant lighting hydroponics website has a remote ballast/econowing/bulb package for $210. Those ballasts are really heavy, so shipping costs on 6 might add a bit to the price. Depending on where you live you might could find some used ballasts on craigslist or at a hydro shop and save the shipping money.

I bought a used 1kw ballast kit/ss2/bulb shipped for $200 on ebay, I was real happy about the deal because shipping was $30 so I got everything for $170.

ebay does have (atm) ballast/bulb/econowing combo for ~200 shipped. :)

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
yeah I searched craigslist for sum lights last night didnt find anything....
I do have a local hydro shop I plan on goin up there this weekend to see what they have

oh 200 shipped on ebay thats not bad at all

what size pots should I use I was thinkin 5 gallon buckets

hey u got any strain recommendations greenhouse got some cheap fem beans
I was lookin at there white widow

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I think the rule of thumb is one ounce per gallon, so 32 oz per light divided by number of plants.

5 gallon buckets will be expensive compared to grow bags.

White widow is great herb, but yields are not so impressive. For a great value bean, I think it is hard to beat Nirvana, and they have so many strains all at the same price. You could have a different strain for every light. Master Kush, Ice, White Rhino, Blue Mystic, Aurora Indica, Super Skunk, Jock Horror, Blackberry, Rasberry Cough, NL, Diesel.

10 packs of fem are 60 bucks

samba

ok so im planning on growing in a spare bedroom of the house that I live in...Most likley for my first run I willing be doing soil cuz I really do not have that much cash for a hydro setup...

How about COCO???

Anyway I have so many questions...the room I will be using is 13 x 9

what would the best way to cool the room and the the best idea for freash air exchange? out the window or through the vent in the ceiling into the attic...

I'd say the attic! Depending on your ambient temps, you could get a way with having a small passive intake under the door

what are the best kind of inline fans as far as the quietist...how many fans should i need an what cmf..6 inch or 4

Get a bigger fan than you think you'll need, step it down,/run it slower. Big " is better in my opinion, you can buy or mace silencers for them...

also odor control is a must I mean zero smell outside of the grow room an the basement under the room...I know i need to use a charcoal filter just what size do u think

BIGGER IS BETTER, up to your budget, but I'd say min. x1.5 CFM of your fan

also its getting to be winter here so i know were going to be using the heat for the house how can I keep the heat from going into the grow room via the vents

If you go with air cooled hoods, and really seal the shit out of them, you could circulate the air from the hoods with the house air, no need to heat the house :)
But if not, just get air from outside, a open window or something, then you really don't need to much CFM to cool the room.
What are your outside temps? To low and you'll have problems at "light off"

I want to get the most yield possible using soil so I need strain recommendation in seed form available from da bay...also should i use more lights then 4k an what kind of reflectors... i was looking at the mangum xxls
No strain recommendations, sorry...
4k for what area?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=51325&highlight=AIR-COOLED

Should i use an window ac unit? Or just vent in cold air from outside

Cool air from outside will cut down you electricity bill

well Thats good for now... I hope these questions make sense
heres da room I will be using see the vent in the ceiling that leads to the attic

What size is that vent?

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
Ok so four months later I finally got my room up AN running not what I wanted but its a start..ok here goes ... Like I said im very broke atm so aoaf gave me 3 400 watters and i purchased one 1000 watter ... The other day I went to hook up my 1000 watter it triped the breaker ...i only had one 400 watter going, regular fan, an my ac..so im going to run a new breaker when I the extra 50 bucks lol....but I need to do it aasap cuz my plants are deffinatly ready to flower.....so as of now I have two white widow plants in five five gallon buckets under one 400watt light and I have 20 purple wreck clones in 2 gallon buckets under one 400 watter..... ok to my question my house already reeks of freash herb what would be the way to clear the smell and also I wanted to cool 1000watt light it has 6 inch flanges on both sides of the hood. What size inline fan would be would be good to cool at least 2 1000 watt lights ...im on my phone so no pics and the typing killin me...thanks to all the other resposes above..just a little update

A

ak-51

If you're popping in a new breaker are you going to run new wiring too?

I noticed the baseboard heaters in there. I have baseboard heaters in my grow room too, but they don't work right now. The reason is because I pulled the thermostat for them out and replaced it with an outlet. They were running 240 volts. Now that 240v 20a line can support all of my lighting. You might consider doing that instead. It's relatively easy to do, just make sure you read up enough and are comfortable with wiring it up yourself.

If you can't do any of that maybe you could just run extension cords in the mean time to get your girls flowering started.

If you have 6" flanges I think you start choking off your CFM's if you go larger than 6". 8 is probably the max you want to go. I had a 10" fan running through my 6" hood once. I didn't like it, I don't think it was necessary and I felt like I was putting too much resistance on the fan. 6" should be fine if you run insulated ducting and maybe insulate the hoods a little bit. I heard you can go to a fabric or arts and crafts store and get ironing board insulation to do the hoods with that.

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
Yeah deffinatly going to be running new wire I think 12 gauge im not doing it but I will be taking notes I have a very close friend that knows about my grow and hes an electrian hes helpin me with all my electrical needs

Yeah those baseboard vents we dont use anyway the ac an heat come through that 6 inch vent in the ceiling
Thanks for that idea ill ryn by my buddy an see what he can do

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
Tagged up for the show :yes: I'm not much help w/the technical stuff :bashhead: but I make a great cheering section LOL :jump:
Great to see you back in the game Bro :rasta:
Stay safe n :smoweed:

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
cool thanks for stopping bye vinter i promise it will get more exciting...its just my internet is not working at the house so im posting bye phone...which sucks an i cant post pics of my grow...but these purple wreck clones look real promising...

I got the clones from a guy that was getting tree shipped to him. He said it was called purple day wrecker which i never heard of so anyway he found a couple seeds in hes bag an grew them out...an now we are running the clones from hes intial seed grow...Im just calling it purple wreck( he called it purple day wrecker) ...if anyones has heard of it or has expenice with this strain let me know

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
Heres what im using for nutrients an soil
Pro mix with the marine compost imo i think right on par with the fox farm marine cusine and the pro mix is only 10 bucks a bag compared to the fox farm at 20 a bag

I have two white russian frtom serious seed plants grown from seed in five gallon buckets the buckets are filled with a mixture of pro mix, more perlite, an worm casting. they were topped around the 4-5 node so there real bushes atm

I have one purple wreck in a 5 gallon bucket with the same soil mixture

I have 20 purple wrecks in 2 gallon buckets same soil mixture

im feeding them every other day fox farm grow big an fox farm big bloom they really seem to like it...im using 4 tsp per gallon of water

Also i topped the purple wrecks at 4-5 node

NOTB

fill it up with 6shooters and you can't go wrong ,i have a512 cfm....the point is to EVAC, the heat somewhere else.

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
Cooll thanks

Anybody got any recomendations on brands of inline fans, mufflers, carbon filters

I think my cubic feet of my room is 996 so I would have to get a inline fan that would a least 996 cfm...for smell btw so like above poster said bigger would be better so im lookin to buy a 12 inch vortex inlinefan there rated at 1140 cfm a phat filter 48 inch x 12 inchs and a 12 inch phat muffler. How loud are these fans would I need two mufflers on one fan???????