What's new

Water cooled reflector....

punx777

These are awesome, assuming you have a swimming pool, or some other sort of 50 gallon + res for cooling!!!! + year round

i guess a lake or river would be perfect, but seriously, how many growers..........

you can also use a chiller and have a smaller res,

Pimpslapped

You know... I think something like that could work, though would it be efficient enough to be cost effective and worth the hassle of setup?

A chiller may not be entirely necessary, or a massive res... using a radiator to dissipate heat outside of the grow room would be simple enough. Possibly have a chiller+res after that, but likely not entirely necessary if you have a good radiator to dissipate the heat. But water+electricity is a dangerous game, especially adding in heat/hose connections, potential leaks...

Just looking at the image in the picture linked, I'd be suspicious about the build quality of the hood... just my two bits.

J

JackTheGrower

It could keep a reservoir warm?

Maybe keep fish warm? Maybe cycle in an aquarium by a window in winter? I I would think that could cool the reservoir down..

It's an interesting topic and mostly all the discussions I have read stop on the safety issue.

What would the advantage be?

Could it actually cool better than forced cool air? I've had my hood cool enough with a 1k hps to leave a sheet of paper on top without fear.

Maybe a hydroponic system could benefit from heated liquid...

I also wonder if antifreeze would be better than water?

I guess a modified http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator could be used to chill the coolant and provide Co2 but then again one would need to vent the heat from that..

I am a big fan of low temperature ( 60's and low 70's) grows of the strains I have tried.

Jack

------------------

I just realized the best use of all..

Heated floors.. In some climes it's more efficient to run heating tubes in the cement floors.. I bet one could cool many thousand watts that way without casting a heat plume for LEO to see...
It would also offset cold after lights out since the floor is warm and the plants can relax in a warmer night then just shutting off the lights.

I even think some mats could be made to lay on the floor.. Interesting.. Guess I'll have another toke...

Maybe there is something to liquid cool after all..

Jack

Last edited:
J

JackTheGrower

Another thought.. We don't need to have liquid on the hood..

Say we have cool tubes with a nice airflow we just run that through some type of radiator ( or two ) via a air duct and cycle chilled water from a reservoir...
The result should be a reduction in temps?

If I was in the snow I might run tubing under the sidewalk and melt the snow to avoid shoveling.

If it's a long run in the cold it should cool just fine?

Ideas ideas ideas.... So little time so many ideas...

Interesting idea but why not just have an air conditioner within the grow room? The whole system seems to be needlessly complex with having to cool the reservoir, pump the water to the reflector, running a fan to draw air over the heat exchanger, etc. all for the same result as a much simpler air conditioner.

J

JackTheGrower

Interesting idea but why not just have an air conditioner within the grow room? The whole system seems to be needlessly complex with having to cool the reservoir, pump the water to the reflector, running a fan to draw air over the heat exchanger, etc. all for the same result as a much simpler air conditioner.

yep...

If i was to run a large scale system maybe pumping heat into the floor ( in cold climes ) might be of value..

Other then that I agree it would have to be a special circumstance thing.

Jack

dbfr3sh

It could keep a reservoir warm?

Maybe keep fish warm? Maybe cycle in an aquarium by a window in winter? I I would think that could cool the reservoir down..

It's an interesting topic and mostly all the discussions I have read stop on the safety issue.

What would the advantage be?

Could it actually cool better than forced cool air? I've had my hood cool enough with a 1k hps to leave a sheet of paper on top without fear.
***your best thought yet***
Maybe a hydroponic system could benefit from heated liquid...

I also wonder if antifreeze would be better than water?

I guess a modified http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator could be used to chill the coolant and provide Co2 but then again one would need to vent the heat from that..

I am a big fan of low temperature ( 60's and low 70's) grows of the strains I have tried.

Jack

I even think some mats could be made to lay on the floor.. Interesting.. Guess I'll have another toke...

Maybe there is something to liquid cool after all..

Jack

i think i need what your smoking...must get you str8 retarded

Another thought.. We don't need to have liquid on the hood..

Say we have cool tubes with a nice airflow we just run that through some type of radiator ( or two ) via a air duct and cycle chilled water from a reservoir...
The result should be a reduction in temps?

If I was in the snow I might run tubing under the sidewalk and melt the snow to avoid shoveling.

If it's a long run in the cold it should cool just fine?

Ideas ideas ideas.... So little time so many ideas...

1. like an intercooler? no you need alot of psi to push thru that. 2. that would bring some really unwanted attention.

i agree with freezerboy n others on this is just an accident waiting to happen. i get nervous about my bulb bursting or catching fire, what you guys are chanceing takes it to a new level.

DonkeyPunch

I have read about them, never used one - my only concern is "How much light does it kill?"

I mean think about it, if a single chunk of glass kills lumans, how much would glass plus water take out?

I am sure they run cool as can be, it's a great idea, but how much do you suffer light wise, is it still worth it?

Smoke Kush

I have read about them, never used one - my only concern is "How much light does it kill?"

I mean think about it, if a single chunk of glass kills lumans, how much would glass plus water take out?

I am sure they run cool as can be, it's a great idea, but how much do you suffer light wise, is it still worth it?

this is different than water cooled lighting. This is just a box that sits on the reflector to cool the reflector that way. One of the biggest perks I see is that the air coming out of the reflectors could actually cool your room some what. Instead of exhausting the hot air out, it is already cooled and would help keep the room cooler. This is definetly not for everyone, but it could work for some who are unable to have an exhaust for the room.

I am much more willing to try this than the water cooled lamps because those water cooled lamps scare me ( and it seems to scare others ). worst case scenario I see is that a leak developes and drains down the reflector onto the plants.

also, its not like you have to have a huge chiller. A smaller chiller will work, its all about how cold you want the air to be coming out of the reflector.

Currently i have no exhaust, the blower for 2 600's just runs the hot air into the room. If i had this i can run it through my 1/4 hp chiller and my intake would be used much less.

I only see this as an addition. Not crucial, but could help temps in the room.

SK

wavedash

everyone is tripping because they think from looking at that picture that water is actually in the area where the light is?? this is false. hes talking about the "ice box" and ive seen a couple people on the site use them. check out eminems warehouse thread i know he uses some to cool res's but not lights at least u can see them working though :)

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
The water may not be in the area of the light but it's right on top of the lamp and socket.

Latest posts

Latest posts