What's new

JURY NULLIFICATION+MARIJUANA UK,USA & CANADA

R

REDEYE_420

CHECK THIS...it could be the saviour of Marijuana Martyrs everywhere...??

If your ever called for jury service you can save some poor smuck from being banged up if you feel
he doent deserve it!

"The jury can save you!
I've got a secret to tell you. It's about jurors. Jurors called for duty on criminal cases have a secret power. It's a secret because in a trial neither the judge nor the lawyers are allowed to tell the jurors this power exists. But it does. It's called "jury nullification." It doesn't mean the jury gets nullified. It means the jury can nullify a law or nullify the application of a law to a specific case.

Jurors can use this power if they believe a law is unjust or that the application of the law to the case would be unjust. Juries exercised this power to acquit Henry Morgentaler on abortion charges in the 1970s and 1980s. At that time legal abortions had to be performed in a hospital and only after approval by the hospital's therapeutic abortion committee.

Morgentaler, however, performed abortions outside hospitals and without any committee approvals. He was charged and faced four criminal trials. As a matter of law he had no defence, but the juries refused to convict.

This power to nullify the law is dangerous. Using it, a white jury could refuse to convict a white person in any case involving a non-white victim. I'm sure that's happened. Also, if juries exercise this right then they are saying they know better. They, in effect, become law makers usurping the role of the government and prosecutors.

Now you know why lawyers and judges won't tell jurors they have this right -- we're afraid they might use it.

TRIAL JUDGE

Not only do we not tell jurors that they have this right, we tell jurors they are to take the law as explained to them by the trial judge, the strong implication being there is no right of jury nullification.

This issue came up recently when Grant Wayne Krieger of Alberta was charged with unlawfully producing marijuana. Krieger has multiple sclerosis and uses pot for medicinal purposes. He also admitted to supplying the drug to other sick people.

The trial judge believed a conviction was the only possible result and directed the jury "to retire to the jury room to consider what I have said, appoint one of yourselves to be your foreperson, and then to return to the court with a verdict of guilty." When some jurors balked the judge said "(i)t is apparent that some of the members either didn't understand my direction this morning, that is that they were to return a verdict of guilty ... or they refused to do so."

After the jury came back with a guilty verdict, Krieger appealed. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled the judge erred in trying to force the jury to convict. The judge had wrongly taken away the right of jury nullification.

At one time judges abhorred this power so much they imprisoned, starved or fined jurors who refused to follow their instructions to convict. Yet, this jury nullification power has served an important function throughout modern history. Jurors have refused to enforce fugitive slave laws, seditious laws prohibiting criticism of the government, laws prohibiting labour strikes, even prohibition laws.

USEFUL TOOL

Is there a need for this power today? With perfect laws and a perfect system of justice juries wouldn't need this power. But we don't have a perfect system and jury nullification can still be a useful tool in addressing abusive prosecutions and laws.

The real question for me is whether defence lawyers should have a right to tell juries they have this power. If there is no such right then we have to depend on jurors getting their knowledge from television -- a Law & Order episode discussed the issue -- or newspapers. That doesn't seem right. It makes for an uneven system of justice"

This topic is valid in UK,USA and CANADA i think....

SPREAD THE WORD-if no-one knows about it how can it be implemented then it will never be used and people will be sent to jail for growing a harmless plant!

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

Peace.

R

REDEYE_420

Cheers-spread the word to all you know please ureapwotusow!

Peace.

boroboro

OK, let's assume that judges and lawyers can't tell jurors about jury nullification.

Why can't a defendant or witness on the stand tell the jury about it? If I was the defendant I would try real hard to mention jury nullification at some point:

prosecutor: Tell us, Mr. Borobor, did you grow that evil plant?
defendant: Well, I do know that the jury could vote their conscience, use the right of jury nullification, and find me not guilty.
prosecutor: That's not an answer to the question!
defendant: Fuck, I know that...

R

REDEYE_420

For some reason the judge can charge you with CONTEMPT OF COURT...??..?? Crazy i know!

Peace.

GrüneErd

so what happens when you're the lone-juror who brings up jury nullification to the un-receptive and un-educated jury members around you and they have never heard of it and i.e. think it's some made up shit?

Lt. Herb

so what happens when you're the lone-juror who brings up jury nullification to the un-receptive and un-educated jury members around you and they have never heard of it and i.e. think it's some made up shit?

Sounds like a hung jury, start over with new trial, new jury.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The judge can tell a jury about jury nullification but, due to a Supreme Court ruling, he doesn't have to tell them.(Sparf and Hansen vs The United States, 1895)

R

REDEYE_420

Wait...was this thread closed earlier? Or was I seeing things? :confused:

Yes it was closed-MOD said it was already posted up-but it was a USA post,i mentioned that UK and Canadians could use the powers of nulification too so the kind IC MAG MOD reopened it.

*Cheers JJScorpio-much appreciated....i tried to send you a message but you werent online so i couldnt message you the way i did earlier by clicking your name-im a noob at this lol!

Peace.

Charg5152

I decided awhile ago that I will never convict any drug offenses if I am called to be a juror. I don't care if I have sit there for a month...I get paid jury duty time :) It was great to see the last episode of Bill Mahr where they had an entire discussion of jury nulification and our outdated drug laws.

PARADOX

OK, let's assume that judges and lawyers can't tell jurors about jury nullification.

Why can't a defendant or witness on the stand tell the jury about it? If I was the defendant I would try real hard to mention jury nullification at some point:

prosecutor: Tell us, Mr. Borobor, did you grow that evil plant?
defendant: Well, I do know that the jury could vote their conscience, use the right of jury nullification, and find me not guilty.
prosecutor: That's not an answer to the question!
defendant: Fuck, I know that...

:muahaha:

M

movingtocally

I support jury nullification of every non violent drug offense, period. 1000000 pounds of heroin or 3 grams of OG kush, doesn't matter. The message is clear-the war on drugs is a failure. Prohibition never works.

R

REDEYE_420

I decided awhile ago that I will never convict any drug offenses if I am called to be a juror. I don't care if I have sit there for a month...I get paid jury duty time :) It was great to see the last episode of Bill Mahr where they had an entire discussion of jury nulification and our outdated drug laws.

*Hey i dont suppose youve got a link for that actual show have you please? Would be great to see.

I support jury nullification of every non violent drug offense, period. 1000000 pounds of heroin or 3 grams of OG kush, doesn't matter. The message is clear-the war on drugs is a failure. Prohibition never works.

*Im not to sure where i stand on harder drugs-heroin,coke,crack & crystal meth. These drugs kind of destroy lives and familys,Ganja is a more user friendly drug. I suppose if they were all legal then it would drive the criminal element out of the trade which in itself would save lives,also there would be no impurities in the drugs either if it was made under goverment guidelines? Imagine a world where alll drugs were legal-going to the pub for a pint,a quick chase of the dragon & finish it off with a fairy ganja cake lol!

Peace.

Bake_McBride

I agree that the harder drugs do more damage than weed, but some of these laws we're faced with destroy more lives and families than any of the people on trial. I'd choose jury nullification/hung jury over convicting somebody of some outrageous minimum sentence every time.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I don't want the government (or you) to be my Mommy. I choose not to use heroin, cocaine, etc... but if I decided that this was something I want to do, I don't want someone putting me in jail "for my own good."

Especially not the US prison system.

When you attempt to legislate morality and responsibility, you destroy both. Morality and responsibility exist in the gaps between obligations. If you make everything an obligation with consequences, where's the morality in following it?

And if you're doing it to protect others from ME, well, there are already laws against driving while intoxicated, murder, theft, arson, rape, assault, etc.

So if someone who happens to be under the influence of something does one of the aforementioned things... there's already a law. No need to make an extra law saying "you can't be under the influence because you might do something bad."

IMHO - the drug laws are there for the funding they provide local and state police and for the excuse it provides if they want to do something illegal (like search your house, or single you out.) If they want to come in your house and fuck with you, all they need is piddling evidence of your wrong doing. If they legalized it, nobody could search your house because they "smelled" something outside your door.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Are there any GrassRoots organizations that work to educate the public on this?

Educate Yourself! Then Educate Your Neighbors!

Stay Safe! :tree: