What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Could someone lend a hand with these calculations?

TreAndKat

Hey all,

I'm hoping to follow LC's soilless #1 but have run into a little trouble with the math. The problem comes in converting the recipe's units of volume to units of weight. I need to make 120 gallons of soil. The peat moss is easy--3 cubic feet is 22.4 gallons, so I need 5.4 cubic feet. But how do I figure out how many gallons a 30 lb bag of EWC contains? Similarly, how many lbs are 65 cups of guano? So confused! Any help clearing this up is much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Tre

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TreAndKa
Welcome to IC.
What are you trying to do? More info please.
30 pounds of worm castings is about one cubic foot.
Don't use weight. It won't work. Use volume.
Burn1

TreAndKat

B1- The Guru himself stops by!

I want to make 120 gallons of LC's soilless #1 using fertilizer recipe #2 (just guano). The peat moss is sold by volume, but the EWC and guano are sold by weight, and I don't know how to convert the EWC and guano to volume.

So I need: 24 Gallons of EWC, 43 Cups (2.7 gallons) mexican guano, and 65 cups (4.1 gallons) Jamaican/Indonesian guano.

I know it's a really simple recipe, I'm just having a little trouble with the math end! I'm impressed by the responsive community here--thanks again!

Edit: Yea, I should have been a little more clear, using parts to make the soil is easy, its just that I don't know how much to buy because the guano/EWC are sold by weight.

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This may sound simple, but I got a 12" X 12" X 12" cardboard box from my local U-Haul store when I first started. That's exactly one cubic foot. Ten level scoops with a 3 qt. saucepan filled that box level full. When I put that 30 pound bag of worm castings in the box, it was level full.
When measuring guano, use a cup or fraction there of. Don't be afraid to experiment.
Burn1

TreAndKat

I'm not at all afraid to experiment--I'm just trying to figure out how much to buy! Information from this link http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=BGWC420# pegs worm castings at about 1.67lbs per qt, so I have calculated I'll need about 150 lbs for 120 gallons of soil (sound right?). I haven't found any product listings for guano that include volume AND weight, so I just need a ballpark. Reason is that worm'sway is a good hour and a half away from me so I can't buy some, then measure, then buy some, measure...etc...

I've searched through the forums and vendors for a weight/volume guano conversion. I thought surely someone must have had the same problem! Am I just dense?

Thanks again

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is an easier way...

If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime.
But, a "part" can be anything from a tablespoon to a five gallon bucket. Just use the same item for all of the "parts".

I get my peat, perlite, worm castings and dolomite lime side by side and open where I can dip them out with the saucepan. I alternate and have a cup of dolomite and pour a small amount in with every scoop until I've used the cup full with ten scoops of the ingredients. After the mix is made and mixed thoroughly, I then make the nute mix out of blood/bone/kelp or guano.
There's no easy way around it Bro. Make your soil mix first.
Burn1

TreAndKat

No no I'm not THAT stupid. I know how to make it and use parts, just not how much to BUY.

Basically, I need 60 cups of guano. I know this. But how much do I buy? I guess that's around 10-15 lbs?

Pimpslapped

Hola Tre. That does sound about right on the ballpark guesstimate I'd say. At least judging by Worms Way... but keep in mind that the density of the castings can likely vary a bit depending on compaction, etc. So my suggestion would be to add another 10 - 20% to the estimate of what you will need.

After all, it's not like excess castings will go to waste. Being able to make teas, top dressings, etc.. using the castings, in addition to the base soil mix... Estimate high.

I've judged my (limited) purchases of EWC by eye, though now I don't have a convenient local source for them. Not that I've found, at least.

TreAndKat

Well that clears things up then! Shifting gears a little bit, should I choose Indonesian over Jamaican for my High P guano, seeing as it is significantly cheaper?

TreAndKat

Also, I chose guano over blood/bone meal because I was afraid animals might get a bit too curious. But does adding the 1 tbs of kelp meal that recipe #2 suggests also risk attracting animals?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By you walking across the soil, it attracts animals. You can dig a hole and cover it up and a dog will dig in it. The best thing to do is make your beds about two months ahead of planting so the newness of your plot wears off to the animals.
Burn1

TreAndKat

I wish I would have, but since it's too late for that, does kelp meal attract animals more strongly than other ingredients in the mix? And is there a large chance animals will dig up a newly planted container? I'm digging holes and placing buckets directly into the ground. Of course, it's impossible to know for sure, but any experience/advice is appreciated. Thanks again