What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

200 gallon geurrila rez?

chongsbuddy

Veteran
i have plans for an outdoor grow and i need to build a good simple sturdy 200 gallon reservior that sits about 2 feet off the ground for a gravity feed.Something that i can put a water proof tap on.Any suggestions would be great.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
How about 4 plastic 55 gallon drums, or 4- 50 gallon Rubbermade rough totes?

Locate some bulkhead addapters, they will allow you to create a leak proof tap in yor resivours, they can be found at good plumbing supply stores, or may be ordered on line.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Yes, you can bury them, or you can camoflauge them with brush, etc. For totes, its actually very good to at least partially bury them to help support the weight of the water in them, many totes aren't designed to be used for water storage.

M

moses224

They also sell sachs that you place at base of plant they come in 30 and 50g. You fill and then set the rate they dispense water. Usually you filly biweekly. Just and Idea. I believe they are called "gator bags"

Styles P

but the water timer has to be above ground right? so just connect a larger hose from the rez to the timer?

chongsbuddy

Veteran
this is a tough subject.I am growing 76-80 plants in 10 gallon grow bags with 6-7 gallons of soil.1 drum would work for watering because i bought a water timer,so i would just find out how much the rez goes down a day and set the timer once a day to refill the rez.Now this is the tough part.I want to feed automatically as well.So i'll put a splitter off the main rez to a second rez for feeding.the timer on the water rez will go off for the last day of every week,thats when the feeding rez timer is triggered and it feeds the plants for a day,then its tripped off and the water timer trips back to its original schedule.The only thing i dont know is how much nutrient solution do you need to affectively feed 7 gallons of soil once a week to grow nice healthy plants.Whats a good,cheap complete outdoor veg and flower nute?oh yeah,the rez has to be 2 feet above the plants to get desired flow.

Last edited:

jackel

if u have a water line from a spring or such going to ur res to refill it, y dont u just get a simple Swam Cooler float that will keep the tank full? it requires no battery, no electricity.
as far as rez goes, several 50gal drums tied together with a connecting peice of tube lower on the tank means both tanks will fill evenly even if water is only going into one tank. as far as water coming out, iv found flood n drain table fittings (ebb n flow 2 piece fittings) with a hole in the barrel works well.. tie them together with some t's and L fittings.
this is how i filled a few barrels. pvc comes together which attached to a water line from a water pump down the mountain. filled 4 barrels in a matter of 10 mins or so with a gas powered pump.
2572Picture_019-thumb.jpg

G

Hey cb

As BC said, the plastic drums are good and easily available at oil distributors. They deliver vegetable oil to resturaunts in them and green is the most common color for them.. Metal drums are noisy

An old buddy of mine swears by his heavy equipment inner tubes. The kind that are used to fill heavy tires with fluid. They are tough and cant be damaged by any thing really. He uses 60" loader tires(tubes) that hold 200 gallons and are about 2' in height when laid on its side. He removes the valve stem and has built a little adapter with 1$ worth of parts that allows him to fill the tube with water. There is no need for attaching taps as the stem is the tap. His little adapter allows him to attach his 3/8" tubing right to the valve stem. He says if he's in a hurry, he can sit on the tube, smoke a joint and double his system pressure. Unfillled, the tube is in a box and can be carried under your arm to the site.. You need a truck to haul the drums and a strong back if you intend to bury them..

These tubes are readily available at big tire repair/service centers or heavy equipemt dealers. You can get any size u want. An earth pan tube is 10' in hieght stood up, is 40" thick and will hold well over 500 gallons of water. He washes them out before use. He says once the tube is filled and lying on its side, a can of brown/green spray paint easily camo's the tube, but since weeds grow up in the center opening and around the tube, its cammo'd natually. He also claims that the rubber doesnt preserve finger prints like the metal drums and, should an emergency occurr, with his pocket knife he can empty and disassemble his resivoir system in 10 seconds, fold it up and walk away. People using drums have no choice but to abandon their drum resevoirs to the fingerprinting team.

Having said that, let me add that within the next few days, I will present a watering fert distribution system that reduces the amount of water needed by more than 300% and reduces the work of watering by an equal percentage. For example, in test this summer, the buddy mentioned above used the device in one plot of 10 plants, that he irrigates. He has a numbe r of these sites, so we were able to compare water usage among the plots. During the hottest, driest part of the year, the normal 10 plant plot used apporximated 55 gallons of water per week. The plot where the device was installed required less than 20 gallons per week. A trial of the sytem used as a single plant application had similar results, in that the plant normally required an average of 1 gallon per day. The device reduced the amount of water needed from 1 gal per day to 1 - 2 liter bottle every 3 days. I reduced my watering workload from daily trips carrying gallons of water, to that of 2 trips per week, carrying less than 1/2 the water i would have needed with out the device. Thats dramatic.

With a minor adaptation, the device also allowes cannabis to be grown in soil that is seriously deficient in nutes or ph, or is very rocky and generally too shallow for good growth..

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Yes, silverback's device sounds very interesting!

One of my favorite gardening writters, Steve Solomon, advises regular liquid fertilising as a way to cut back on water usage. I mean, afterall, they main thing the plants use the water we provide is to grab nutrients in the soil and move them in solution through the plant. If you provide nutrients in a quickly available form every time you water, it reduces the plants need for water to go foraging in the soil on its own.

This is a big reason I have used a liquid fertiliser every time I water by hand. If this device is cost effective enough to use on individual plants, and can be automated, I may even use it myself.

PHB

silverback said:
An old buddy of mine swears by his heavy equipment inner tubes....

Having said that, let me add that within the next few days, I will present a watering fert distribution system that reduces the amount of water needed by more than 300% and reduces the work of watering by an equal percentage.
Wow! Both the inner tubes and the potential savings of the solution you are going to present would be a huge win for me. I set up 30gal totes last year and although they don't weigh a ton, packing them into the grow area was a pain in the :cuss:

Looking forward to learning more.

PHB

I use kingsize water bed mattresses. I dig a hole up the hill assumming you have a hill and wrap the mattress in camo tarps and put a little dirt on top. I put a Drip line "T" on the mattress one line for filling one goes down to the garden with a timer somewhere in between. Make sure you get the timers that don't require a lot of pressure to work. Not sure of your water source to fill the res. The mattresses are cheap on E-bay $30 and can last 3 seasons. Loger if you remove them after the grow. I always keep a few extras on hand just in case.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Wow! I never had a clue waterbed matresses were so cheap, I always dismissed them as a possibilty cuz I assumed they'd be too exspensive. I'll have to rethink this!

browndirt

a 3 to 500 gallon rigid wall collapsible kids swimming pool works like a charm. Easy to fold out of a small box when you get on site and is durable. Don't use anything in the woods that punctures easy or that you can't bring in covertly. Exposed water also goes warm faster -- and you want room temperature water before flower at least. But cover it with a green tarp like I do. this camouflages it and also keep rodents from drowning in your water. I've killed a few squirrels inadvertently with this one.

Latest posts

Latest posts