What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning GG#4

Spaventa

Veteran
If you run this search - problems cloning gg4, you get a lot of results that are people all over the place saying the same thing - they are experienced growers, blah blah but GG4 won't root or takes ages.
Well I joined that crowd lately with my gg4 cut - it took nearly 3 weeks to root and even then, on rhizotonic, in aero cloner, with little bit of food, STILL slow as fuck to root any further.
Ive shown my cut on here and nobody said it looks wrong so is there a secret to cloning it?? a friend swears by cubes but really? how is that better than an aero cloner? everything Ive ever had roots MUCH better in my aero. Dont get it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0.G3xd5Ebvz9c

heatherlonglee

You should try exposing more of the root material to the rooting solution. I pull back some of the outer layers of bark, green, stem layer, whatever you call it. Like when you pull back the plastic on a electrical wire to just expose the wire. You want to do the same with the rooting stem, pull back some of the stem and expose a small 1-2" of stem marrow to the hormone instead of just the very bottom of cutting. I believe this may help with crushed cells if you use scissors to do your cuttings. Cutting should be at least eight inches long, thicker stems root better also. Feed water with a small amount of rooting hormone first 5-7 days after cloning.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I take big clones a good 6" or so. And root in domes with 600MH. Last batch of GG#4 was out of domes at 6 days. Exposed roots at 12. Some will always take 14 days maybe 20%. I make more than I need and keep the fastest rooters.

Maybe try a different hormone?

Virgin1

I'm in the same boat as you mate I always struggle with the gg4 to root but everything else is always done in half the time , even the livers which is getting on 25+ year old genetics still roots in around 7 days , I did read about the gg4 and everyone seems to say take the cuttings from the top of the plant not the bottom and the mum has to be tip top condition for fast rooting . Fastest result I've had was to put the cutting in a small pot of coco in a zip lock bag that one beat the others in jiffy pelets by a week

Spaventa

Veteran
Mack10 - she was ok but I admit she's better now so Im having another go today.

Mushroom - I have tried REMO gel which is 0.45% IBA 0.1% NAA which is stronger than Clonex. Today I'm trying Powder Roots which is stronger still 0.6% IBA :)

Virgin1 - Well sounds like your sussing it mate I appreciate the tips.

Does mine look like yours Virgin?

N

NBE One !

Remember a few yrs ago some dude had roots ( nodules)? In 6 days . Via aero ponics/dwc - bubbleponics. I had them in just under 9 via the Water-nutrient spray wetting a small rockwool cube . ya dunnna need any substrate using this method tho. :)

GG4's an' ace plant. Does all things smart. And THEN the look ! ; ((:)
[YOUTUBEIF]ZhhzJvMmGtU[/YOUTUBEIF]
https://youtu.be/ZhhzJvMmGtU

Last edited:

~star~crash~

^^^i never got a straight answer on that...nutes in the clone water,or not? how about adding nutes after they throw nubs? both ways(nutes,or not) seen to work...

N

NBE One !

Yup ... (; nearly said,realised after. Plain water to begin with

Slight nutes was OK

Mogli

Remember a few yrs ago some dude had roots ( nodules)? In 6 days . Via aero ponics/dwc - bubbleponics. I had them in just under 9 via the Water-nutrient spray wetting a small rockwool cube . ya dunnna need any substrate using this method tho. :)

GG4's an' ace plant. Does all things smart. And THEN the look ! ; ((:)
[YOUTUBEIF]ZhhzJvMmGtU[/YOUTUBEIF]
https://youtu.be/ZhhzJvMmGtU

this is the best way to root .. and easy buildup system

N

NBE One !

Yup , I had 12 Home made (r)DWC B ckets

Water bein ' the only Substrate, is cool. Spin the Tap to top up! Very clean

Americangrower

Veteran
If you run this search - problems cloning gg4, you get a lot of results that are people all over the place saying the same thing - they are experienced growers, blah blah but GG4 won't root or takes ages.
Well I joined that crowd lately with my gg4 cut - it took nearly 3 weeks to root and even then, on rhizotonic, in aero cloner, with little bit of food, STILL slow as fuck to root any further.
Ive shown my cut on here and nobody said it looks wrong so is there a secret to cloning it?? a friend swears by cubes but really? how is that better than an aero cloner? everything Ive ever had roots MUCH better in my aero. Dont get it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0.G3xd5Ebvz9c

As Mack10 said...Mom health is always number 1 problem when you can't get roots. Bump up nutes for at least a week prior to cloning. I give mom Grow, liquid karma and a touch of bloom I don't buy into N being bad for rooting..low P and K prevents roots. So if stems are purple thats a problem.

Spaventa

Veteran
all points noted - thanks guys.

Mogli - I was thinking about the light when someone said they root under a 600. Im telling you now I'm never doing that but i will up the light intensity on them.

American Grower and others - mother plant health is probably it, Im cool with that and will carry on trying :)

Virgin1

Yes spav that looks like her I always struggle to get decent sized buds on mine she always ends up a bit bitty but always yields well she's a strange on I've 4 scrogged at the mo but can't for the life of me work out how to post a picture

packerfan79

Veteran
Try using cups of coco, no dome required. I use the cheap boonide powder from home depot, works wonders. You actually inhibit rooting when You increase iba, more isn't better. Higher concentrations like hormex is for trees and such, which have a lot of bark and are very woody.

Latest posts

Latest posts