What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bay Area Winter Grow?

advancedbrain

As the title says, I'm planning to start a collective grow in the south bay this winter.

I was wondering if buying a carport and using that as a greenhouse/light department would work during the winter.

I'm planning on planting 12 plants in 30 gallon smartpots. I'm concerned about soil temperature, but I think I'll be fine in terms of air temperature since I'm in the bay area and will have a pseudo-greenhouse.

Any thoughts on this? I was hoping to get 1lb for each plant, but I'm not sure if I'll get that kind of yield in the winter.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
30 G smarties done right should produce 1-2 bows I would think easy...done right...and with some simple light dep and supplemental lighting, you possibly could squeeze three crops a year outta that.

Good luck

Rainmaker

I believe it's going to largely depend on how big you can get them before flowering. Do you plan on vegging indoors..or in the gh? If the gh...you're going to have to supplement light until you are ready to flower...simply to keep photo period. Also...keeping them in smaller pots w/ a couple transplantings will allow you to "push" them harder.. for faster growth

The next big factor is weather...dry sunny winter would be most beneficial...but if it's cold and rainy..could grossly effect the yield. And I can say that all my resources are indicating it's going to be a cold and wet winter this year...

In my honest opinion...I would think the best you could do in the winter is around a lb. per pot....once again...very dependent on the weather

advancedbrain

30 G smarties done right should produce 1-2 bows I would think easy...done right...and with some simple light dep and supplemental lighting, you possibly could squeeze three crops a year outta that.

Good luck

I believe it's going to largely depend on how big you can get them before flowering. Do you plan on vegging indoors..or in the gh? If the gh...you're going to have to supplement light until you are ready to flower...simply to keep photo period. Also...keeping them in smaller pots w/ a couple transplantings will allow you to "push" them harder.. for faster growth

The next big factor is weather...dry sunny winter would be most beneficial...but if it's cold and rainy..could grossly effect the yield. And I can say that all my resources are indicating it's going to be a cold and wet winter this year...

In my honest opinion...I would think the best you could do in the winter is around a lb. per pot....once again...very dependent on the weather

I think we are planning on vegging in the greenhouse, definitely with supplemental lighting (probably only CFLs for the first round). I'm definitely going to be applying some trellising so that they can get bigger, and probably veg them for a month or two.

I'll definitely implement the transplanting idea as long as I can make it work into the budget.

Strainwise I wanted to plant more purple strains in the winter so the cold can bring out the colors. If you have any recommendations for heavy purple yielders that would be much appreciated, or any strain that does well during the winter.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Rainmaker

Personally...I would grow varieties that are more sativa leaning. Reason being...faster vegetative growth and less likely to flower under lower light conditions. The supplemental lighting will simply keep them from flowering...it's not going to really facilitate growth. If you want to get the crop up to size and flowering sooner..sativa leaning hybrids will be your best bet.