What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Canna Coco Tap Water Question

Xanode

I emailed canna about their nutriants, ro water and calmag because i was unsure of what to do when it came to ro water and thier coco nutes, here it is straight from the horses mouth(one of thier chemists): read last paragraph

What i take from what he's saying is, our nutrients work with ro water, just make them a little stronger than normal

."CANNA does take into account the general chemistry of the local water when making nutrients for different areas of the world. That said, it is quite general as we cannot predict the content of every city well, especially for places like Australia where the water may be considerably different from one area to another. The good news!: Coco is naturally suited to handle hard water because of it's affinity with Calcium and Magnesium, which are the major components of hard water. Unless your water would be terribly hard, you could most likely succeed without filtering it. It is important to know that high tap water EC does not necessarily mean "hard". It is quite important to have the water analyzed before taking decisions. In many areas of Australia, the EC is high, but it is caused by Sodium, not Calcium or Magnesium. Sodium (over 50 ppm) creates a lot of cultural problems as it builds up in the growing medium very quickly. R.O. is likely the best path in such case, or !
where heavy metals from industrial or mining activities may have contaminated the water source.

If the water is bad enough in your area that you need to use an R.O. filter, yes, you will need to take action not to run into deficiencies.

1. If the water is not contaminated by sodium or heavy metal (in short, it's just very hard from Ca and Mg), fill your 3/4 of your tank with R.O. water and add tap water back to it until you reach 0.2EC. This is by far the best way to condition your water back. (also the fastest and cheapest method to do it)

2. If you absolutely need to use 100% R.O. water, fill your tank, add 2ml/10L of coco "A", 2ml /10L of coco "B" (That is a tenth of the normal dose) stir in the water properly (a recirculation pump is best for this) wait 5-10 minutes to make sure the water conditions itself well, then add your normal dose of nutrient to reach your desired EC target. Adjust pH if needed (outside of the 5.5-6.5 range) This method is by far more efficient than adding just "Cal-Mag"

Last edited:

lopocs.mpeg

2. If you absolutely need to use 100% R.O. water, fill your tank, add 2ml/10L of coco "A", 2ml /10L of coco "B" (That is a tenth of the normal dose) stir in the water properly (a recirculation pump is best for this) wait 5-10 minutes to make sure the water conditions itself well, then add your normal dose of nutrient to reach your desired EC target. Adjust pH if needed (outside of the 5.5-6.5 range) This method is by far more efficient than adding just "Cal-Mag"

I'm gonna try this. I've read somewhere if you reach 700ppm a+b no more additional cal-mag needed.

Sativan

There's a lot more than just calcium in tap water. There's cysts, spores and other little goodies that I don't want in my coco. I don't even drink tap water.

I always use R.O. water for consistency. I've read the water report for our water and it's well treated but it's still tap water.