What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow with LEDs was a bit of a fail

FarmerGreen

This was my first time growing inside after a number of years and my first time growing ever with LEDs.
Feminized pineapple chunk from , plus a couple of revegged pineapple chunk which had been budded outside.
I suppose you'd call it a micro grow- 100 watt led panel in a small beer fridge.
It vegged fine and started to bud ok but has ended up extremely light and airy.
I'm assuming it was just nowhere near enough lightpower. I did actually purchase another 100w panel but don't think I got it in there early enough to make much of a difference.
What I don't understand is why it went purple. Did i fuck up the nutrients? Or is it simply something to do with the light. I noticed that any stray leaves or branches that got away from the main beam of light were green.
What should I do next time?

Attachments

• IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2613.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 22

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
There is no telling exactly what caused that. What were the temps and humidity like? What did you feed them? What soil? What led? How far were the tops from the light? I would go heavy on the air flow in a beer fridge. You might try growing a clone to get it dialed in and then do some seeds later.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?

FarmerGreen

I think it looks rad personally. I have never run pineapple chunk, but I did find this https://www.alchimiaweb.com/en/pineapple-chunk-product-2555.php
The large, wide leaves are dark green, turning deep shades of magenta, purple and almost black with low temperatures at the end of flowering. I just saw a thread where he has been running that strain for years now, you might wanna ask issack about it.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352859

Yeah, I’m pretty down with the purple too, as long as it isn’t a symptom of something wrong.
I’ll check out that thread, thanks

FarmerGreen

There is no telling exactly what caused that. What were the temps and humidity like? What did you feed them? What soil? What led? How far were the tops from the light? I would go heavy on the air flow in a beer fridge. You might try growing a clone to get it dialed in and then do some seeds later.

Temp was a pretty consistent 70 degrees. The fridge is still working so I ran it through a thermostat to regulate the temp.
Not sure what the humidity is, I’ll have to start measuring next grow. What should I aim for?
I used a 3-1-5 feet during veg and 2-2-6 during flower. Although the soil was pretty hot to start with I imagine.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Yeah, I’m pretty down with the purple too, as long as it isn’t a symptom of something wrong.
I’ll check out that thread, thanks
I agree. It looks pretty but not if it's at the detriment of something else. NP I wish I could help more :tiphat:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I would raise the temp to 75-80 especially early on and humidity about the same until the last few weeks. The cold will give you those blue colors so maybe that was it or it was the light. I would try one of the quantum boards from hlg on Amazon. I have no stake in the lights they just impressed me and they might help since you are pretty height restricted. You will have to add co2 if you aren’t flowing air through the fridge also.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
You flower in a working mini fridge, that's interesting.

I have one in storage that i may convert to a growbox to
combat the high summer temps.

subbed.

FarmerGreen

You flower in a working mini fridge, that's interesting.

I have one in storage that i may convert to a growbox to
combat the high summer temps.

subbed.

If always wanted to do it for a proper stealth grow, it totally looks like a normal fridge from the outside. It’s not until this led technology became available that it was possible to do something so small.
I got the idea to revisit it what I saw the ads for the Seedo, and I thought I’d give it a try myself, instead of spending 3 grand.
Hasn’t actually worked yet though...one day.
Check out home brew supplies, fridge controllers are commonly used for that

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I think it was more environment and genetics than the light.. In my experience micro grows are difficult to not make super stressful for plants.

FarmerGreen

I think it was more environment and genetics than the light.. In my experience micro grows are difficult to not make super stressful for plants.

Yeah me too.

Mainly not enough light I think. I’ve doubled my firepower so that will hopefully help. I’ll add more if funds permit.
I’ll also add a bit more airflow.
And pay slightly more attention to humidity.

Let’s see where we are in 2 months time.

Attachments

• 0A01ED2E-09AD-47D3-94D3-8FAB33F7159D.jpg
    0A01ED2E-09AD-47D3-94D3-8FAB33F7159D.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 27