Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Thread Title Search
Malawi Style Cob Curing. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2018, 11:36 PM #3211
Tangwena

Tangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nasty View Post
Hi Tangwena,amazing cob as usual.In a month or so i'm going to make my next batch,outdoor stuff this time.Have you ever washed the buds or there's no need to?
I dont wash them but plenty of others do and for outdoors it can get rid of a lot of dust, sand and other wind born agents that get stuck to the buds outside so it would not be a bad idea.
Just remember its not the cob that makes them strong its what goes into the cob. So the better the buds you use the better the result so cleaning them cant be bad.
Some members on 420 also pre dry the green buds in the fridge and claim it helps bring out the terps.
I am going to do a side by side cobbing on my next harvest one fridge dried and one naturally pre dried as I think it may be a good thing to do if it helps to mature the aromas prior to cobbing.
Outdoors buds can really shine using this cure. I had some Malawi x Ethiopia and Golden Tiger outdoors last year and they were both superb in both flavor and effect. I probably should have washed them though when chewing the cobs I get crunchy bits now and then probably grains of wind blown sand. Not enough to bother me though.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:44 PM #3212
Tangwena

Tangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugzy View Post
I am reading this thread from start to end but only a few pages in. All in all it is fascinating to see the process updated for modern times and read of the effects produced from this less known method.

I believe that some of the best i ever smoked was from broken or smashed cob pieces that were available to me for only a short time many summers ago.

I will tell you why think it was from cob rather than brick because the material was very dark purply/black which after reading here seems to show a fermentation had taken place somewhere. The smell was more aromatic than brick which had a tell tale ammonia edge to it. Smoke was softer and very flavoursome, sweet and earthy.

Effects were gentle but uplifting and creative, i took many long walks over the hills that year and spent hours exploring the beaches. The sad story is that no seeds were kept but there were not that many to be had anyway.

I really do appreciate this thread from Tangwena and all the others who post their experience and results. Cheers to you all.
More than likely my friend when I was in Malawi long long ago now there were plenty of canna tourists even in those days and a lot was sent back home by them.
The real good quality cobs are something you never forget.

The ammonia smell is a give away on composted pot. The smell of a fermented cob especially prior to aging when its fresh from the cure is all fruity fermented smells, and is very distinctive and something regular cobbers live to sniff. Its a very good indication of how well the cure is going and a sign that you are on the right track.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:50 PM #3213
Big Nasty

Big Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangwena View Post
I dont wash them but plenty of others do and for outdoors it can get rid of a lot of dust, sand and other wind born agents that get stuck to the buds outside so it would not be a bad idea.
Just remember its not the cob that makes them strong its what goes into the cob. So the better the buds you use the better the result so cleaning them cant be bad.
Some members on 420 also pre dry the green buds in the fridge and claim it helps bring out the terps.
I am going to do a side by side cobbing on my next harvest one fridge dried and one naturally pre dried as I think it may be a good thing to do if it helps to mature the aromas prior to cobbing.
Outdoors buds can really shine using this cure. I had some Malawi x Ethiopia and Golden Tiger outdoors last year and they were both superb in both flavor and effect. I probably should have washed them though when chewing the cobs I get crunchy bits now and then probably grains of wind blown sand. Not enough to bother me though.
both plants have a super sweet tropical fruit smell,i like it and i want that smell in my cobs plus the scent of the cob itself...keep on spreading this wonderful tradition all over this crazy world brother
Big Nasty is offline Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 04:05 AM #3214
Tangwena

Malawi x Ethiopian

The effects on buds from the same plant with 24hr sweat.
One cob was cured for only one week then dried and aged halting the cure.
The other was cured for 3 weeks and then dried and aged also halting the cure at that point.
Both have been aged 9 months.
Both have totally different effects 1 week is very speedy and enjoyed by my friends who like to smoke it.
The 3 week cured is extremely trippy when chewed within 15 mins my eyes are like dishes then the madness comes the effects only last 5 hrs compared to others i have where 8 to 10 hrs is the norm which is good for short trips to the other side.

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 AM #3215
HaHaHashish

24 hours sweating - I've always done about 24 hours sweating in sealed bags at around 40C. What happens if the bud is sweated for 48 hours, 72 hours or a week on 40C? Any cob makers tried that?

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:08 AM #3216
HaHaHashish

We know that bud that is too dry to sweat won't end up with that cob high, even if it is dampened beforehand. I wonder if a cob was made with a combination of bits of too dry bud and fresh bud, after the sweat and cure would all this cob have a real cob high?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 AM #3217
Digger102

Digger102 has a spectacular aura aboutDigger102 has a spectacular aura aboutDigger102 has a spectacular aura aboutDigger102 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
The effects on buds from the same plant with 24hr sweat.
One cob was cured for only one week then dried and aged halting the cure.
The other was cured for 3 weeks and then dried and aged also halting the cure at that point.
Both have been aged 9 months.
Both have totally different effects 1 week is very speedy and enjoyed by my friends who like to smoke it.
The 3 week cured is extremely trippy when chewed within 15 mins my eyes are like dishes then the madness comes the effects only last 5 hrs compared to others i have where 8 to 10 hrs is the norm which is good for short trips to the other side.

Hi Tangwena! What would you say the difference is between speedy and trippy? I guess both could possibly make a person paranoid? LOL! And thanks for all the information and starting the cob thread.
Digger102 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 AM #3218
Tangwena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger102 View Post
Hi Tangwena! What would you say the difference is between speedy and trippy? I guess both could possibly make a person paranoid? LOL! And thanks for all the information and starting the cob thread.
Hi my friend I have never had paranoia from cob cured its to spacey you feel detached from reality so its not you in the frame.
By speedy I mean its super confident and fearless crazy euphoric.
By trippy i mean theres more than just me involved 2 or 3 other characters are interacting with me in my mind.
Nothing is out of the question like now on this Golden Tiger I am on.
I just finished painting a roof I am sure i had a gang along with me.
Things are real and well under my control but I am remote from this reality distant with a proxy typing my thoughts.

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 PM #3219
Digger102

Digger102 has a spectacular aura aboutDigger102 has a spectacular aura aboutDigger102 has a spectacular aura aboutDigger102 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Hi my friend I have never had paranoia from cob cured its to spacey you feel detached from reality so its not you in the frame.
By speedy I mean its super confident and fearless crazy euphoric.
By trippy i mean theres more than just me involved 2 or 3 other characters are interacting with me in my mind.
Nothing is out of the question like now on this Golden Tiger I am on.
I just finished painting a roof I am sure i had a gang along with me.
Things are real and well under my control but I am remote from this reality distant with a proxy typing my thoughts.

That was one of the better interpretations between speedy and trippy that I have read!! Thank you! I'll be trying about 2 or 3 temp/sweat/cure combinations with my next harvest!
Digger102 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:59 AM #3220
HaHaHashish

I had some losses recently...a couple of branches dying off, a few top colas with mold, some broken branches, which is fairly normal during the Summer/Fall grow as it's outdoors from a mix bag of seeds so anything can happen, some years are easy, some years are tough. The mold was discarded, of course, but the surrounding bud was used. The big problem was that these outdoor plants were about 3 ~ 4 weeks before peak harvest.
So I cobbed them anyway after just a few days air drying, trimmed then went through the cobbing process. I've been smoking these today, as I have nothing else! and the high has a shorter duration that is not as strong, of course, but hey, it works and this bud was growing 3 or 4 weeks ago lol but it burns slow and cool in a joint, way better than early picked bud with a standard dry/cure.

2 members found this post helpful.