What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gorilla Glue #4 S1 testers

Pro Headies

Veteran
Ive started some GG#4 S1 testers made by Hammerhead. Im a perpetual style grower so ill keep starting more seeds as spots open up and until i run out of seeds or find a worthy keeper or two. Thanks Hammerhead for this opportunity!

Pro Headies

Veteran
Well it looks like out of the 3 i started 1 is a dead seed. I havent given up on it but pretty sure its no good. It sunk in water as soon as i put in glass which to me means it had a crack in it somewhere. The other 2 are in soil cups now but one barely had a tail or even opened its shell when i stuck it in soil. So i started 2 more seeds today as you can see in new pic.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Finally got some green to show. Seeds seem to have trouble pushing shells open after popping a tail. Out of the 3 original seeds i started 1 was complete dud and never popped a tail, 2nd wouldnt push shell open past just popping tail and 3rd is up and growing but i had to pull shell off to keep her alive. Now in 2nd pic as you can see 2nd set of seeds have popped there tails but this is where the one stalled last time, im going to give them another 24 hours before i plant in soil or until tails are longer. I started some Chem#4 by DrGt last night to compare how fast they germinate compared to these GG#4.

Edit: just looking at my first post pic at top you can see 1 seed at top is split open and that pic was within seconds of dropping in water. I should have looked at seeds better and noticed this before i stuck in water.

Last edited:

Pro Headies

Veteran
Quick update. The DrGt seeds that were started 2 days after the last 2 gg s1s have caught up to the gg seeds. I knew it was the GG seeds being slow but had to make sure with a quick comparison test to reassure I was right.

Mikenite69

Veteran
I have found when popping seeds sometimes if they are really fresh less than a month or 2 cure some seeds are slow to get going.

Like my last round I just made seeds my gsc x ogk x bubba were popping right off the plant no cure needed. Now my lime cookie x peyote fem beans wouldn't germinate for shit using the paper towel method.. I was getting them to crack by putting them into soil directly and they would pop days later and it seemed they would hit a point to where they would start growing normal after cracking. Weird to say the least.

Pro Headies

Veteran
I (think) that the seed shells have a fiber that needs to dry out to become thinner on fresh seeds sometimes if not the fiber has to much elastic to it not letting shells open once tails pop. Ive had this happen before with fresh seeds and ive had seeds pop right off the plant to, so i guess its strain related. I use to use the paper towel method but over the last 5 or so years ive been just putting them in water until they pop a good tail then sticking directly in soil. If they dont pop a tail in water i still last resort stick them directly in soil, sometimes they still pop sometimes they dont. Recently i tried to pop some G13diesel(heads) x Vortex that i made years ago and they had issues so i just stuck them directly in soil with no soak and they eventually popped.

Mikenite69

Veteran
Ya I am the same way last resort I drop them into dirt.

I have had seeds fresh pop tails then when I put them into dirt with shell above soil they would just sit there then eventually it's like they get a burst of energy and start growing normally.

I have also dropped fresh seeds into dirt and not has them come up for almost 2 weeks. I guess it's just how vigerous the seeds wanna be.

Still can't wait to see the outcome I am pulling for ya and the beans to come alive. The pheno frostbyte is showing is really nice.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Thanks Mike for the encouragment! The 2 that i do have up are doing great (under 600MH already) with no issues once up. Still got 3 in dirt waiting see if anything happens, if they dont ill just start more, PF was more then gracious with the GG seeds!

RetroGrow

Veteran
I (think) that the seed shells have a fiber that needs to dry out to become thinner on fresh seeds sometimes if not the fiber has to much elastic to it not letting shells open once tails pop. Ive had this happen before with fresh seeds and ive had seeds pop right off the plant to, so i guess its strain related. I use to use the paper towel method but over the last 5 or so years ive been just putting them in water until they pop a good tail then sticking directly in soil. If they dont pop a tail in water i still last resort stick them directly in soil, sometimes they still pop sometimes they dont. Recently i tried to pop some G13diesel(heads) x Vortex that i made years ago and they had issues so i just stuck them directly in soil with no soak and they eventually popped.

Just FYI: when I get seeds that can't push all the way from their shells, I open the shells with a dental pick. This must be done carefully, and I use a magnifying headband gadget that you can get on Amazon. Carefully pick at the opening in the shell, and pry it open. Then there will be a membrane that can also hold them down. This can be removed by lightly poking/scratching at the edge of it. Eventually it will come off, the cotyledon will open right up, and you are in business. Have saved many seeds like this, and the resulting plants were just as good as the ones that had the power to pop themselves. Takes a bit of magnification to see, and patience, to do it slowly and carefully. Keep seeds moist by constantly misting them with water. I have yet to have a seed that I could not open by this method, once any amount of "tail" is showing.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Heres the 2 i got to pop originally that are in 2 gallon pots now, i just topped them last night. The 2 in cups are 2 more that i got to pop out of the original 5. So 4 out of 5 and the one that sunk instantly is the one that never opened. Ill be back with picture update once 2 gallon plants are upgraded to 5 gallons in 2 weeks or so.

Things look like there moving along... Hope these turn out great for ya ;)