What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Same process, different viscosities. What gives?

pinkus

Veteran
I have done a few batches of ethanol extractions, cleaned up with pentane.

The first couple were of odds and ends, but mostly sativa dominant strains. I say this, but I mean modern, worked indoors strains that exhibit the big stalked resin glands we all love. The oil has been quite thick. Lovely, clean and potent.

My last round I somewhat foolishly dedicated half of my flowering space to untested "Acapulco gold". Pretty stuff. Most definitely untainted sativa. I had 2 female plants, 1 quite fast, it finished around when my other, modern, plants finished. Quite a large yield too. Now the bad news, barely any oil at all. And the oils it did produce were downright runny. So runny that the "recipe" I used to make pen cartridges tend to gurgle and leak.

I suspect that it may be CBN heavy due to leaving her on the vine to let some seeds ripen and a bit of heavy handed ethanol evaporation.

Any of you more experienced extractors know WTF is responsible?

Thanks y'all.
:shooty:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The first couple were of odds and ends, but mostly sativa dominant strains. I say this, but I mean modern, worked indoors strains that exhibit the big stalked resin glands we all love. The oil has been quite thick. Lovely, clean and potent.

My last round I somewhat foolishly dedicated half of my flowering space to untested "Acapulco gold". Pretty stuff. Most definitely untainted sativa. I had 2 female plants, 1 quite fast, it finished around when my other, modern, plants finished. Quite a large yield too. Now the bad news, barely any oil at all. And the oils it did produce were downright runny. So runny that the "recipe" I used to make pen cartridges tend to gurgle and leak.

I suspect that it may be CBN heavy due to leaving her on the vine to let some seeds ripen and a bit of heavy handed ethanol evaporation.

Thanks y'all.

I've gotten as low as 5.7% oil yield on some older strains.

Decarboxylation also lowers viscosity.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Never dedicate a grow to unproven genetics...

Buddy did the same thing u did, popped some "self made" genetics and ended up with LBS of finished hay... Like 6lbs.....from 5 lights....

ended up going in the compost pile..... from what i heard after selling a bit it totally destroyed his rep.

He has since went back to running proven cuts and isn't chucking pollen anymore.
His oil didn't even get u high it seemed like...runny...i swear just bit of pine terpenes and a bit of cbd lol....Hay i tells ya.....

Thanks y'all.

pinkus

Veteran
thanks.

LOL, I already copped to it being foolish. I've warned many many MANY of the same thing. Worst part ended up being that the better of the two was harvested at 15 weeks, and by the last couple, I'd dialled it back to 6/18 to help her finish. It still could have gone another week. That was 2 weeks longer than any other in the room. Also, scrog on a hydro system, so it's kind of all or nothing.

The good news is I do think it will please some people who want some real old school stuff. But it won't be hashed. It may end up curing a good long time.