Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > Samsung hard strips - Anyone ever seen any small length ones?

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Original Seed Store for great Cannabis genetics
Samsung hard strips - Anyone ever seen any small length ones? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2017, 02:58 AM #1
Seshwan

Seshwan is on a distinguished road
Samsung hard strips - Anyone ever seen any small length ones?

Hi all,

Looking to use some Samsung hard LED strips in my PC grow case. Length of the case is 17 inches but ideally would like 12 inch strips if possible.

Only ones I can see are like 1 meter strips.. Would there be any way for me to shorten them DIY?

Thanks
Seshwan is offline Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 12:41 PM #2
Arf

Arf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura about
Just started my first run with some of these yesterday, they are from Bridgelux, (the people that make the Vero 29 COBs).
https://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=EB+Series

I used the 11" (280mm)version 3500K.

Running them at their nominal settings. 350mA 22.1v which is about 7.7Watts per strip.
Probably crank them up to 10Watts per strip as the grow progresses.

Last edited by Arf; 10-09-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Arf is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:20 PM #3
Seshwan

Ahh nice they look decent. What are you driving them with may I ask?

You got a PC ase too?
Seshwan is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 01:09 AM #4
Arf

Arf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshwan View Post
Ahh nice they look decent. What are you driving them with may I ask?

You got a PC ase too?
I am doing a micro grow but it's more like 3sq. ft. not a PC case. You need 3-5 strips per sq. ft. about 25-30w

My light meter says the spread is very even, much better than the 3 Cree COBs I was using which gave obvious hot spots and dim areas unless you put them very high up.

I am driving them with a 12v 10 amp power supply stepped up to 22.1 v using a $5 boost converter off eBay which lets me adjust volts and current.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-boost...-/181940997254

I just soldered all the strips in parallel for ease. I don't believe in buying expensive high voltage power supplies and soldering everything in series. 22.1v is nice and safe to work around.
Arf is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 12:22 PM #5
Seshwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf View Post
I am doing a micro grow but it's more like 3sq. ft. not a PC case. You need 3-5 strips per sq. ft. about 25-30w

My light meter says the spread is very even, much better than the 3 Cree COBs I was using which gave obvious hot spots and dim areas unless you put them very high up.

I am driving them with a 12v 10 amp power supply stepped up to 22.1 v using a $5 boost converter off eBay which lets me adjust volts and current.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-boost...-/181940997254

I just soldered all the strips in parallel for ease. I don't believe in buying expensive high voltage power supplies and soldering everything in series. 22.1v is nice and safe to work around.

Ahh nice man!

That is reassuring as I started trying to work out how many I would need last night and my calculations showed that 5 of those would give me around 6000 lumens/sq ft which is bang what you want from what I have read
Seshwan is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 01:49 PM #6
Arf

Quote:
Ahh nice man!

That is reassuring as I started trying to work out how many I would need last night and my calculations showed that 5 of those would give me around 6000 lumens/sq ft which is bang what you want from what I have read
With decent LEDs most people got for around 25-30W per sq. ft. I made a mistake in my calculation and didn't order enough strips, I left a 3" space between the strips, so on nominal current I am only getting 19W per sq. ft. (it was my first attempt) I can turn up the current to compensate, but that wasn't the plan. I figure I should only have left a 1" gap between the strips, so I have ordered some more to fill the spaces. Probably under run each strip at 6 watts which should take them up to 160 lumens per watt.
Arf is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 02:26 PM #7
Seshwan

Yeah due to space in my case I may have to have the strips almost touching each other if I am going to fit 5 in there. Will have to come up with some creative way to mount them somehow
Seshwan is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM #8
Arf

Quote:
Yeah due to space in my case I may have to have the strips almost touching each other if I am going to fit 5 in there. Will have to come up with some creative way to mount them somehow
I made a rectangular frame out of "L" shaped aluminum from the hardware which I cut and pop riveted together in about 10min. Then to mount the strips I just used a self tapping screw at the each end of the strip, there are holes in them for that purpose in what looks like a silly position close to the edge. Apparently is something called the "Zhaga" standard, which I totally fail to see the logic of, but it works.
Arf is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 10:31 PM #9
Seshwan

What do you think about getting these instead?

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...585-ND/6149750
Seshwan is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 AM #10
Arf

Quote:
What do you think about getting these instead?

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...585-ND/6149750
The Bridgelux ones cost me under $7ea. including shipping, and they are available in the quantities I need.
Arf is offline Quote