Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Why bother keeping mother plants?

Thread Title Search
Click to buy cannabis seeds at Ace Seeds
Why bother keeping mother plants? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2017, 05:01 PM #81
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant future
I’m sorry and don’t want stir things up but this is a pet peeve of mine. “Genetic drift” is a population dynamics term and has nothing to do with degradation that may occur with an individual plant being cloned over and over again. I wish new terminology would be coined to explain what, if any, happens when a certain individual looses things by repeated cloning.

It may be variety related or related to the individual itself but there are mixed opinions of this happening. Some say they have been cloning the same plant for years and years with no loss and others have said that after repeated cloning things seem to degrade. I would venture to guess any loss is due to environmental factors, stress, pathogens, etc, etc.
Betterhaff is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:37 PM #82
I wood

I wood has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterhaff View Post
I’m sorry and don’t want stir things up but this is a pet peeve of mine. “Genetic drift” is a population dynamics term and has nothing to do with degradation that may occur with an individual plant being cloned over and over again. I wish new terminology would be coined to explain what, if any, happens when a certain individual looses things by repeated cloning.

It may be variety related or related to the individual itself but there are mixed opinions of this happening. Some say they have been cloning the same plant for years and years with no loss and others have said that after repeated cloning things seem to degrade. I would venture to guess any loss is due to environmental factors, stress, pathogens, etc, etc.
I agree.
Genetic drift is a misunderstood term that should be replaced with, " I fucked my plants up but don't understand how."

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:30 PM #83
brown_thumb

brown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud of
Damn... all this talk of contamination makes me want to build a decontamination/wash room outside of every room with any cannabis in it.
brown_thumb is offline Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 06:42 PM #84
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_thumb View Post
Damn... all this talk of contamination makes me want to build a decontamination/wash room outside of every room with any cannabis in it.
Like a clean room I hear some of the bigger greenhouses already do this.
ReikoX is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 PM #85
Rodehazrd

Rodehazrd has a spectacular aura aboutRodehazrd has a spectacular aura aboutRodehazrd has a spectacular aura aboutRodehazrd has a spectacular aura aboutRodehazrd has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nksv View Post
anyone have issues with mums starting to flower out? Is she just showing she's ready or is it best to let her into the flower room to do her thing?
I had that issue with some serious ak47
The sativa leaning girl i liked best autoflowered after a while in veg. It was not just one but a half dozen cuts all did that. I think it could have been the cfl lights I use for veg. I read on this forum I on Ace page Dubi said t5 lights would help that.
I just moved on to genetics that like my setup. Will go to LED's as I replace the lamps.
Rodehazrd is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 05:32 PM #86
mushroombrew

mushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterhaff View Post

Very strain specific I believe. And of course environmentally specific too.

Keeping an annual in a perpetual state of veg will result in something.
What and when varies greatly. But there will be an effect.
mushroombrew is online now Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 PM #87
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodehazrd View Post
The sativa leaning girl i liked best autoflowered after a while in veg. It was not just one but a half dozen cuts all did that. I think it could have been the cfl lights I use for veg. I read on this forum I on Ace page Dubi said t5 lights would help that.
I just moved on to genetics that like my setup. Will go to LED's as I replace the lamps.
Used to use 4' T-8s (5600 k or brighter) over mothers in cupboards (previously described), and had one plant in particular (can't even remember what she was, other than she was a freebie, and she's LONG gone now). She produced decent smoke, but smaller buds, and she was prone early on to auto-flowering in veg (with 20-22 hours of light), though not technically categorized as an auto-flower plant.

Currently, and more recently, the Ghost Train Haze #1 showed female pistils very readily (at the base of petioles) under 22 hours light, using a combination of LED and T-8 (evenly split; 2 & 2, with the LEDs at 4200 k and the T-8s at 5600 k), but I also believe that soil stress can bring on some of this for some plants.
moose eater is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 PM #88
Jhhnn

Jhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose eater View Post
Used to use 4' T-8s (5600 k or brighter) over mothers in cupboards (previously described), and had one plant in particular (can't even remember what she was, other than she was a freebie, and she's LONG gone now). She produced decent smoke, but smaller buds, and she was prone early on to auto-flowering in veg (with 20-22 hours of light), though not technically categorized as an auto-flower plant.

Currently, and more recently, the Ghost Train Haze #1 showed female pistils very readily (at the base of petioles) under 22 hours light, using a combination of LED and T-8 (evenly split; 2 & 2, with the LEDs at 4200 k and the T-8s at 5600 k), but I also believe that soil stress can bring on some of this for some plants.
I know a person who grows Colorado Flo for market. They'll show preflowers under any photoperiod but won't really flower until the photoperiod is reduced.
Jhhnn is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 PM #89
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud ofmoose eater has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
I know a person who grows Colorado Flo for market. They'll show preflowers under any photoperiod but won't really flower until the photoperiod is reduced.
Them's the ones! Two elongated pistils and ONE bract per petiole/internode...

The benefit being (other than for the concerns re. doubting the stability of a given plant) is pre-sexing. "Yep!! It's a girl!!!!"

I think there's a quirky response in these plants for nearly every type of stress, from light quality, to soil, to dryness, to nutrients, etc.

We've even (jokingly) toyed with getting a grant to study whether or not plants do better with classical music (orchestral, opera, etc on public radio) or rock-n-roll, versus a variety of each, and more... (Mine get a pretty steady supply of classic rock, though there was a period of signal (digital) interference that the Jesus channel was featured prominently in the grow area, as it was (strangely) the only one that would come in without the crackling. Should've kept notes during that period.
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 11:21 PM #90
nksv

nksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodehazrd View Post
Mine are under LEDs. Yeah, it seems some just auto and some are fine for a bit, others longer. I feel now if they start to flower, let em flower as I don't want to stress em out and confine them. I will make seed with the ones that seem to handle my ghetto conditions! ha!
nksv is offline Quote