Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > Samsung hard strips - Anyone ever seen any small length ones?

Thread Title Search
Buy Cannabis Seeds at Royal Queen Seeds
Samsung hard strips - Anyone ever seen any small length ones? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2017, 07:10 PM #11
AvidLerner

AvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the rough
I use flexible Constant Current strips work just like the hard strips. There is a thread on flexible strips here and you an get them here https://mufue.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2...308.0.0.3fmchR
he also sells hard strips. great products and no problems.
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me.
AvidLerner is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 07:17 PM #12
jikko77

jikko77 is a jewel in the roughjikko77 is a jewel in the roughjikko77 is a jewel in the roughjikko77 is a jewel in the roughjikko77 is a jewel in the roughjikko77 is a jewel in the roughjikko77 is a jewel in the rough
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?FV=ffecd481

nearly 30cm long. (12'' or something).
it's the same smd used for the quantum board.
240mA 22.5V. no need for an heatsink with those value.
- non ho nessun obbligo di rispondere ai p.m., domandare Ŕ lecito, si, ma ricevere risposte non Ŕ scontato, ne garantito; se avete bisogno di aiuto, apritevi un thread o scrivete su uno giÓ aperto. le consulenze private/p.m. sono a MIA discrezione.

- la mia libertÓ finisce dove inizia la tua, anche di fare cazzate (cit. In&OutGrower)
- Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza (Dante Alighieri, canto 26, Inferno)

il mio giardino

- Qualche accenno di biologia su come ottimizzare un cultivo- di Noreason
- LED FAQ) Building and DIY - di Dion
[Guida] COME FARE UN PANNELLO LED (HOW TO DIY LED) - Traduzioni ed altro -
Cenni di BOTANICA

link utili:
jikko77 is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 07:57 PM #13
Arf

Arf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikko77 View Post
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?FV=ffecd481

nearly 30cm long. (12'' or something).
it's the same smd used for the quantum board.
240mA 22.5V. no need for an heatsink with those value.
That link says they only have the 5000K in stock and they are $9.94 plus shipping which makes them more than twice the price of the Bridgelux version from Cutter $4.37. https://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=EB+Series

The Samsung data sheet doesn't tell you the output when you drive them more than 240mA.

The Samsung specs claim 10% more lumens per watt, which sounds good but in reality it means a savings of only 4cents/mth. in electricity per strip, meaning it's going to take about 10 years to claw back the price difference.

But you change your strips every 3 or 4 years because the LEDs wear and loose output, that's why I never use a constant current source, must adjust current as they wear using light meter.

More importantly you only need 4 x Bridgelux strips per sq. ft to get around 5,000 lumens per sq. ft., but you need 5 x Samsung strips to get the same. That equates to 4 x $4.37 = $17.48 vs 5 x $9.94 = $49.7 per sq. ft.

Last edited by Arf; 10-10-2017 at 10:24 PM..
Arf is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 PM #14
AvidLerner

AvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the roughAvidLerner is a jewel in the rough
Bridgelux are a fine alternative to Samsung diodes.
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me.
AvidLerner is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 01:00 AM #15
Arf

Arf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura about
I just finished watching a couple of videos on DIY builds using the Quantum boards, which essentially use the same LEDs as the Samsung strips, but they have shoved a few hundred of the LEDs on the same PCB, similar to what you get if you join the strips side by side with no gaps to make a little panel. Then they stick a heatsink/fan on the board, hang it in the middle of a much larger grow space, typically 18" or higher, drive it hard, resulting in uneven light spread concentrated around the middle of the grow space. You have to ask why didn't they just use COBs?

The whole point of using the Samsung and Bridgelux strips, is to cover the entire canopy with them, just far enough apart so they still passive cool without heatsinks, like they were designed to do. If it's done it properly, you should be able you move your light meter around the grow space and get a nice even reading.

Last edited by Arf; 10-13-2017 at 07:14 AM..
Arf is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 09:40 AM #16
Seshwan

Seshwan is on a distinguished road
I think due to space requirements I may have to have them pretty close to each other unfortunately. Won't make much difference with regards to light spread I don't think as 5 of them right next to each other will basically cover the whole width of my case. Although I haven't actually measured it properly just yet but I do know they will fit someway or another.

Those Samsung ones aren't in stock so am just going to go with the bridgelux.

I will probably order them later on today but the total comes in below what is needed for free delivery so to save me having to order anything else at a later date would anyone recommend any accessories I may need for the actual build?

If you could provide links as well for example thermal compound etc? There are literally 60 pages for some of those things so if anyone has experienec with the good ones to choose it would be much appreciated!

To clarify, I will be buying these - https://www.digikey.co.uk/scripts/Dk...34540419892565
Seshwan is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:24 AM #17
Arf

The 24 LEDs on each strip are 3 groups of 8 LEDS in series. If you hold them up to the light you can see the PCB tracks, there is a chance that you could cut the board into 3 strips of 8 LEDs to fill the gap in you 17" long space. I am only guessing that it could be cut into 3, you would have to examine properly to be certain, but it's something worth looking into.
Arf is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 11:30 AM #18
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to behold
I have a space which would leave about 6" between these and the plants. Would these strips be appropriate to light it? Plant width will be 18" wide at maximum, what do I need to know to design the arrangement most likely to work?
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 01:22 PM #19
Seshwan

Seshwan is on a distinguished road
That is a great call Arf, I am hoping that I get lucky and they all fit nice and snug without any modifications
Seshwan is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.