What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Black Tuna same as regular Tuna?

CoCoSativas

very nice ;)

No bag seeds in the jars (or cans) I've had over the years but now that you've told that story, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for them. There a few folks I know that are excited about what I plan to do with this cut. it's power weed for sure. No reports of PM problems but I watch humidity like a hawk to at least keep conditions unfavorable for those kinds of nasties. Mites don't seem to be much of a problem up here but white flies and thips are known enemies. I am prepared on all fronts tho ;)

Its likely they hermed the stuff with stress sedsoffreedom is talking about if yiu havent found any bagseed in black tuna. Thats likely how the accidental likely s1 ended up in his bag. Stands to reason as all the females were similar but varied

Tynehead Tom

I really want to see what the heavily afghan shisk3 and nuken strains due to the tuna.
What I'm really after tho is gonna be the plants that come in early with shiska structure and yield, but with the added Tuna flavour. One of the shisk males stem rubs are skunky/funky/bubble gum and this is a smell I've familiar with from shisk of the past. To say I'm expecting big things to come of this cross is an understatement hehhe
the last time I worked a line like the tuna into the shiskaberry, the results were phenomenal headstash ;)
fingers crossed it can happen again. There are several killer shiskaberry influenced varieties out there, Barbara bud comes to mind, another killer smash up of power weed.

stay tuned fellas, the fun is just beginning

rykus

The Tuna is fairly resistant to inter sex in my experience.... I broke dark often for timing sake and never had issue, but have heard of certain mites and bad light stress causing inter sex traits in fairly stable varieties.

All the BC Kush seem very prone to PM and bud rot.

Also as a note on breeding, I have noticed because the BC gene pool is actually smaller than it seems, the Kushes are often crosses to these older higher producing cultivar, and as such can show more of the older varieties pheno expression than Kush traits you'd expect...

Case and point for me was I used one of my hash plant males(probably contain chemo,Hindu-Kush, grapefruit and iron weed genes) to pollinate the Pink Kush clone only, all the offspring grew and smelled much more like my line, but then when I joined here I realized the Pink may be the old King Kush x with Hash Plant.... Made sense.

When I crossed my male to the Purple Kush, then that to the Pink I started to see more Kush terps, but it might take a Bx or two to really get somewhere with the local Kush strains In my experience.

Be nice to get the strength and speed up and keep the Kush nose and strength! I hate the plant work on the Kushes too, but it's not that bad compared to a few I tried over the years!

Hazeman seeds just started releasing several Tuna hybrids including his take on Tuna, it's basically a Tuna bx4 male. He let his male hit a blue dream, Chem D ,LA pure Kush , and a Grape stomper. Those are the packs that I got from him. The blue dream x Tuna Bx4 very big and fast with Kush earthiness coming thru the light floral berry scents of the blue dream.

I think you'll be very happy with the shishkaberry x Tuna, good luck with project.

Tynehead Tom

okay fellas, I have definitive answers from the old hand, mmar growers who passed this cut on to me.
back story, I've was permanently disabled from a workplace injury, as a former bridge builder/steel fabricator/structural engineer, in 1998. I have severe allergies to the carriers in most pharmaceuticals that the general population consumes for the issues I deal with. I'm able, there's folks far worse off than me, so this isn't my sob story LOL but it has given me the opportunity to spend a lot of time gardening and searching for the best weed for my quality of life.

So recently when I decided to switch it up and go indoors again after over a decade, my old friends I used to breed for many years ago, hooked me up.

He's not an internet guy, doesn't even have a computer LOL. Anyhow, I was telling him about everything that has been discussed here and he again chuckled and said that the Black tuna is not "kush" and again confirmed the variety is a herijuanax lambs bread and originated in the garden of Rocky Mountain Kush , a highly regarded breeder in BC med community, though I have not met this fella.
Tuna kush is apparently Black tuna x OG kush (of some type)
the original tuna in a can looks something like this ;) I got the info from a website from a folded up brochure my friend had in his stash. My friend (who is 71) tells me that the bikers crossed the black with the OG and that he figures that's the canned tuna that was in the recreation and export community. The fellow my info is coming from, grew up growing weed his entire life so I trust any info he passes on to me.
picture.php

BLACK TUNA IS A BRITISH COLUMBIAN STRAIN CREATED BY ROCKY MOUNTAIN KUSH TO GIVE PATIENTS A POTENT PUNCH OF THC THAT IS IDEAL FOR CHRONIC PAIN RELIEF. THIS HERIJUANA AND LAMB’S BREAD CROSS HAS GAINED QUITE A BIT OF FAME IN CANADA FOR ITS STRONG NARCOTIC EFFECT. WARNING: VERY POTENT AND HIGH THC CONTENT. THIS STRAIN MAY BE TOO MUCH FOR NOVICE OR MODERATE CONSUMERS.

Tynehead Tom

Hazeman seeds just started releasing several Tuna hybrids including his take on Tuna, it's basically a Tuna bx4 male. He let his male hit a blue dream, Chem D ,LA pure Kush , and a Grape stomper. Those are the packs that I got from him. The blue dream x Tuna Bx4 very big and fast with Kush earthiness coming thru the light floral berry scents of the blue dream.

I think you'll be very happy with the shishkaberry x Tuna, good luck with project.

I wonder what hazeman's story is on how he got a Tuna male?
Reeferman maybe?

anyhow, I'm gonna knock these 3 of 4 bitches up in full pollination with something new and exciting.
I also think it is different enough from the shiskaberry3 and the Nuken that the offspring should throw examples of both ends of the spectrum of what is in them. I'm especially looking forward to that.
I think I might just start a Grow diary in that forum and pick it up there while I flower and breed these out. if I do we can carry on the discussion there if ya'all want to follow along.

CoCoSativas

I wonder what hazeman's story is on how he got a Tuna male?
Reeferman maybe?

anyhow, I'm gonna knock these 3 of 4 bitches up in full pollination with something new and exciting.
I also think it is different enough from the shiskaberry3 and the Nuken that the offspring should throw examples of both ends of the spectrum of what is in them. I'm especially looking forward to that.
I think I might just start a Grow diary in that forum and pick it up there while I flower and breed these out. if I do we can carry on the discussion there if ya'all want to follow along.

The original tuna is all over the place so it wouldnt have been hard for hazeman to get.

Tuna can kush seems more my thing then black tuna... neat hybrid.

Lots of useful info from your buddy.

I figured i was right black tuna and tuna can kush are not the same

Tynehead Tom

Coco , I've puffed on pretty much all the high grade real "kush" cuts that have been around bc over the years. Ounce a week consumption and I crave variety. There are not many that please my palate, nose and head like this version of "tuna" . It's the same as the tuna I was getting several years back as well, just minus the label.
Now I am even more amped to get some reefer tuna and see the differences.
This info I'm trying to glean is more or less purely for entertainment value, I don't really take it very seriously, tho by my posts it may seem otherwise.

The two shiska males are flowering hard, I'll post some new pics of those, the flower set for far is excellent and surprises me for how far in they are (under 2 weeks)
I'm guessing pollen will be available pretty soon for knocking up my shiskaf1 female . Tunas will get knocked up a week or so after as I'll probably let them go at least 9 weeks.

Tynehead Tom

it may be interesting to know that on the other side of my growing past, another old timer and I talked about the tuna and I sent him some pics. He emailed me back and said it looked like it has strong evidence of one of the old BC Kimo x's. This guy was a breeder for the clubs for many years. I thought so too but Kimo kept it's red streaking stems thru veg and flower and the red in the black tuna stems is fading. petioles are red but stem is going green.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
it may be interesting to know that on the other side of my growing past, another old timer and I talked about the tuna and I sent him some pics. He emailed me back and said it looked like it has strong evidence of one of the old BC Kimo x's. This guy was a breeder for the clubs for many years. I thought so too but Kimo kept it's red streaking stems thru veg and flower and the red in the black tuna stems is fading. petioles are red but stem is going green.

We have the Chemo cut from the mid nineties. Not sure of "Kimo" though. The old guys here spell it every way possible; Chemo, UBC Chemo, Cemo, Cheemo, Kemo, and Kimo, but I think they all mean the same thing. It was the hardest hitting Indica we have ever had.... until I started playing with Black Tuna. The Chemo is a bigger, and less disease prone plant... but the Tuna makes up in flavor, smell, and bag appeal, where Chemo lacks. I wouldn't say Tuna is much stonger buzz, but it is more fun to smoke! Indoors the Tuna buds are nicer every time.

However Chemo makes a great late October outdoor plant around 45N, the Black Tuna has finished in my limited outdoor tests, but it didn't perform like the Chemo. The Chemo grows big healthy, huge budded trees outside. The Tuna was more spindly, with golf ball sized, and shaped, yet beautiful buds. Black Tuna is done late October around eastern Ontario.

As for being related I would say 95% they are not closely related. The only real similarity in my opinion between Chemo and its crosses, and the Black Tuna and its crosses, is that potent Indica punch they both pack.

That said I would rather smoke Tuna day in and day out. I keep the Chemo around just for the old school 'heads that love that Chemo buzz. The Chemo does make some beautiful hybrids when pollinated by something with some nice flavor.

Last edited:

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I bet Reeferman would have some insight if he is out there... I have talked to him on ICmag about the Chemo. He has worked with the Chemo before, I think he bred Wakeford with a Chemo parent.

One thing I am going to get around to someday is crossing my Black Tuna x Sour Krypt males to the Chemo clone. It is my attempt at the hardest hitting Indica known to man. If somebody has some Indicas stronger than Chemo and Black Tuna... I need them!!!hahahha

rykus

IMO a lot of bc strains that have a kind of claw or canoe and go purple and are a greasy crystal like chemo and tuna may in fact be related.. that said the different crosses bring out a lot of variety in these older cultivars that are closer to landrace genes....

Very cool the old chemo is rockin back east still! any stains I wonder about I just make seeds and test em... tells you a lot real quick,lol.

Tynehead Tom

I can personally attest to the fact that a small group of biker growers from Arizona and BC were taking university level courses in greenhouse crop production, botany and plant sciences at various education establishments in the lowermainland. One of those fellas was in the program at UBC and had daily access to those plants. There was also a technician there, a girl, who was sneaking sample bags from the lab as well and no doubt, given the times, more than one batch of cuts left that lab and into the hands of who knows?
The folks I met within a couple years of finishing high school were not the cash croppers, they were the guys breeding and testing to find the new power weed for the biker export market. both Hells Angels and Outlaw club members were cooperating on these endeavors. And no, for the record, I am not affiliated in any way with either club although I was a worker in that breeding environment off and on over the years.
They took that Kimo/Kemo clone and were crossing it with EVERYTHING they could get their hands on in seed form for at least 3 or 4 years in the early to mid 90's.
In reading some of reefermans posts here on this site, I have seen him reference names of people from his past that are very familiar to me so I have no doubt Charles and I have probably met many times if he was part of that scene and in the inner circle thru the 90's when my involvement started to taper off around 2000 - 2004 with me helping out my brothers back east with new stuff to try in their market.

Tynehead Tom

hey guys, this is the shiskaberry3 F2 male I am gonna let SPAWN with the black tuna. This will be the first cross in meshing these lines into a shiskaberry stature, fast flowering power hitter. At least that is my hopes ;)
I plan to release all my surplus seed each run to those who want it thru the icmag server or help out gypsy fund. maybe if my breeding plans prove themselves out, a private breeder account on seedbay, we'll see. gotta set some kind of goal ;)
check him out at 12 DAYS (i had typed weeks before so just edited LOL) into flower (GH flora lucas formula for sunshine mix 4 no other boosters or additives other than dolomite lime in the premix)
picture.php

picture.php

whaddya' all think of them nut clusters!!

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

ha, I just re-read my post hours later and realized I typed 12 weeks into flower LOL, I meant 12 days.
in 2 more days i'll post the 2 week mark for the main flowering tent. These plants are seriously kicking ass and I'm really glad I didn't veg them longer than 10 days ;)

@tynehead Tom.
Il have to look back to see what hazeman told me about his Tuna origins, if it was bikers then he might have got it from them as he has lots of friends within those circles.

Nice looking shishkaberry male there how big are you getting your tunas before you cross them?

Tynehead Tom

I have 4 Black Tuna in the flowering tent along with a shiska f1 female. They have been flowering now for 13 days. Shisk is done in 49 days or less so will get pollen as soon as the males start releasing. The Tunas , being a much longer 9/10 weeks (for seeds) won't get pollen till week 4 anyways.
I vegged the Tunas 10 days from a rooted clone, under florescent lights. I can measure them tonite but I'd guess 14" plus in height and are gonna get a lot bigger than I expected them too. I'll snap some pics tonight when the light comes on. I think at this point, they will finish somewhere around 2 feet tall off the pot but I don't know yet.
Hopefully I get at least an ounce each of fully seeded bud from the three tuna I'm gonna knock up. The 4rth one and most of the shiskaberry, will be for my head ;)

Tynehead Tom

I've got a journal and two threads going right now and it's getting confusing for me to keep it all separate so am gonna just start a thread in the grow diaries subforum and keep track of all my adventures from here on in in a new thread there. A couple members suggested the idea so they could follow along easier I guess :D works for me.

Lots of interesting discussion about the Tuna strains here.

From what I understand about the strains being debated is Black Tuna is herijuana x lambsbreath. Tuna Kush is Black Tuna X BC Kush. Both have been in cans. Tuna Kush recently.

Right now I have another Tuna cross I picked up from BCBD. Tuna God. It's the Tuna Kush crossed with God Bud. It's early but they are looking healthy. Should be interesting.

Latest posts

Latest posts