What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Black Tuna same as regular Tuna?

Tynehead Tom

I don't mind the conversation straying off topic ;)
I have not grown Nuken before. In February I picked up the last 10 seeds of Nuken in existance (at a seed bank anyways). I'd guess they were 10 years old.
Breeder Steve has been real vocal over the years about CCK and claims the seeds Ken got were "lifted" from one of steve's seed drops he mailed in to marc. Steve claims these were untested and were not the "desireable" seed batch of shiskaberry. maybe explains the hermies?
In the end I don't really care, the plants will tell us ;) I am intimately familiar with Shiskaberry, having grown and bred it for 9 years before life changed direction (1998 to 2007 when I got married). I can say one thing about the 2 seedlings of Nuken that I managed to wean into healthy plants. One looks like a darker version of a shiskaberry in every way, from leaf shape to general growth structure and it smells like a shiskaberry should. I think that one is a female and if so, it's getting hit with at least 2 males from my room, hopefully one og those males is a shiska f1 (1998) and shiska 3. I'll do the pollen in a bag method so I can just do 1 branch for each bag/male pollen.

Right now I'm building rooms out in my attached garage. Framing and insulating. I'm just going to flower what I have and keep clones in reserve. I have an electrician booked for late may , right after I crop this run. getting the garage upgraded to a 60amp 220 and then will plumb the rooms with electrical, ventilation/odor control and water works.

Tuna was an unexpected and unplanned addition to the garden, gifted from a friend because I really like the smoke and I'm tired of driving 40Km to go pick it up. hahaha

Tynehead Tom

well, "F" day is here and these sucker are joining my shiskaberries in the flowering tent tonight. they are gonna love the big light ;)

I'm keeping one back that was topped as a baby by accident but is kicking ass now and will make a good mother. I'm gonna take my time with her.

the other 4 are going to the flowering schedule and 1 will be isolated to breed with the shiskaberry just for shitsngigglez.
i'll snap some pics and update for those still paying attention ;)

Tynehead Tom

picture.php

future Black Tuna Momsy

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tynehead Tom

and one with the flash on. the film on the leaves is just preventative maintenance to keep any unseen/potential critters at bay ;)
picture.php

Tynehead Tom

scotts Canada , canola oil based eco sense bug b gon. seems to work if you catch things fast doing daily inspections.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

Growing like weeds under the big light on 12/12 and in 3 gallon pots
picture.php

I've decided to hold one back as a mother and the twisting and training has begun to grow a fricken monster Black Tuna bush. gonna transplant this one slowly so probably into a 3 gallon in a week or so.
picture.php

picture.php

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
We popped some seeds in 2014. And Won a cup at the High Times Worldcup in jamaica 2015. Cali Kush Farms

Tynehead Tom

We popped some seeds in 2014. And Won a cup at the High Times Worldcup in jamaica 2015. Cali Kush Farms

with "black tuna" (herijuana x lambsbreath) ?
or the seed form Tuna Can Kush?

the old time grower I got this from tells me there isn't any "kush" in the clones he gave me and he says it is the original "Tuna" that came in a can. LOL

I dunno, it's really good weed so all that matters is it's growing in my garden.

CoCoSativas

The seeds where labeld Tuna Kush

Black tunas a cut seed s labeled tuna kush are likely reefs tuna can kush.

Karma are you familiar with tuna can kush? It was some killer dope from bc (canada) that was packed in tuna cans.

Anyway the 2015 cup winner is the tuna kush reef sells i believe. Hes advertising that as the 2015 cup winner.

Im growing some right now. Lol add to the list of cup winners ive grown and smoked haha

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
Yes i know the Tuna Cans ��

Oh yes. Is see it now he list our winning.
The seeds where very old and poor germ rate. They came from my partner T.

Tynehead Tom

from what I am learning, Black Tuna is the original and was born in BC a bunch of years ago in the medical marijuana growing and mail order community. The group that developed it is called 5star organics. The variety is a cross of herijuana (kentucky landrace called petrola headstash x unknown afghani indica) x Jamaican lambsbread.

only Charles scott/reeferman could tell us if his Tuna Kush is the same as Black tuna or derived from it. it would not bother me one bit, to in the end, find out they are the same.

rykus

I highly doubt our tuna Kush is lambsbread or any relation.... I mean come on, tastes just like they crossed one of the drier darker kushes like the purple or mku that goes around here with the bubba/pink lines of greasy Kush... Either way it fuckin reeks like...Kush, nothing else.period.

If you'd ever crossed any of the kushes you will know what I mean.

Tuna can Kush=100% BC Biker Clone only=the cultivar pictured.

If you guys think these guys are running a multi million dollar cross continental business running random beans off the interweb you got your head on wrong. These guys where running hundred lighters before half of the people here graduated diapers, and have been established as long as retired folk... Hilarious...where do you think these cuts really come from...all those killer hermie seeds... They get sprouted on the east coast because it gets shipped there and they can't get shit for clones in the day!

I mean, hate to get worked up, but these guys aren't running beans from some breeder I never heard of, just not a common sense argument.

Tynehead Tom

if you go to google and enter black tuna , check out the leafly link.
5 star organics is/was a British Columbia medical marijuana grower collective/medicine mailorder group who sent the meds out in tuna cans.
according to google.
5 star organics homepage is also available via google.

really it doesn't matter, but I am curious if Charles's tuna is the same as the cuts we have. I'm going to reach out to him.

the reason I am curious to find out more is for future breeding. If the tuna i have shares lineage with reef's tuna , it would make sense for me to spend the cash on the seeds for selecting males.
One off the things about the plants I have that take me back 20 years is how much they remind me of northern lights 5 as far as leaf shape and growth pattern.
anyhow, in every search of black tuna on the internet I have tried, it comes back as herijuanaxlambsbread.

CoCoSativas

if you go to google and enter black tuna , check out the leafly link.
5 star organics is/was a British Columbia medical marijuana grower collective/medicine mailorder group who sent the meds out in tuna cans.
according to google.
5 star organics homepage is also available via google.

really it doesn't matter, but I am curious if Charles's tuna is the same as the cuts we have. I'm going to reach out to him.

the reason I am curious to find out more is for future breeding. If the tuna i have shares lineage with reef's tuna , it would make sense for me to spend the cash on the seeds for selecting males.
One off the things about the plants I have that take me back 20 years is how much they remind me of northern lights 5 as far as leaf shape and growth pattern.
anyhow, in every search of black tuna on the internet I have tried, it comes back as herijuanaxlambsbread.

Leafly is a useless website with alot of made up stories by dumb stoners... theres some good pages but dont rely on it at all.

Tuna can kush is not lambs x herijuana. So if thats what black tuna is thats different than tuna can kush. No matter what people say if thats thr genetics to black tuna thats not what went into the cans. I agree with rykus 100%

Also looking at the tuna seedlings these are for sure kush plants. I got a wack of kush and ogs here looks just like them. Reef told me tuna kush he sells is og x a local bc cut so theres thet. If you want to ask him go for it though hes tough to get ahold of i dont bother texting people who ignore texts so i dont bother anymore.

I gotta hit up karma for some pics. I have no clue why charles doesnt have a single pic of a offering just a cannabis cup win banner. Lol i didnt buy them because they won the cup i wanted them because its fucking tuna can kush. He might have put up a pic but i dont really shop his site anymorr

CoCoSativas

Yes i know the Tuna Cans ��

Oh yes. Is see it now he list our winning.
The seeds where very old and poor germ rate. They came from my partner T.

Sorry to hear that bro. Mine germed 10/10 but are brand new seeds.

Haha thats cool you know the cans... good dooe for sure

Wow thats shady as fuck he listed your win as his... i like some of his stuff but i just dont have time for folks who dont answer texts. Really dont have time to associate with shady shit... glad i moved on to test and showcase other peoples stuff

Tynehead Tom

I highly doubt our tuna Kush is lambsbread or any relation.... I mean come on, tastes just like they crossed one of the drier darker kushes like the purple or mku that goes around here with the bubba/pink lines of greasy Kush... Either way it fuckin reeks like...Kush, nothing else.period.

If you'd ever crossed any of the kushes you will know what I mean.

Tuna can Kush=100% BC Biker Clone only=the cultivar pictured.

If you guys think these guys are running a multi million dollar cross continental business running random beans off the interweb you got your head on wrong. These guys where running hundred lighters before half of the people here graduated diapers, and have been established as long as retired folk... Hilarious...where do you think these cuts really come from...all those killer hermie seeds... They get sprouted on the east coast because it gets shipped there and they can't get shit for clones in the day!

I mean, hate to get worked up, but these guys aren't running beans from some breeder I never heard of, just not a common sense argument.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.
The oldest grower I know, and he said I could drop his name here as he is well known in certain circles. Sandy R , he IS the first person to receive BC chemo from the lab in the early part of the 90's. I know it's a tall tale, and could care less if it's believed, but I was there on the couch, the day it happened. Though when Sandy wrote the original tags on the plants he wrote "K*" for Kimo, because that's how he thought it was spelled.
Anyhow, Sandy figures Black Tuna is either BC Kimo crossed with Norhern Lights#5 or with purple afghan. he figures purple afghan because it was one of the few that could be gotten in seed form in the lowermainland back in that time period. Talking to him last night on the phone, he said he still has a super old metal bandaid container in his freezer with the purple afghan seeds and some seeds he made crossing it to the Kimo. When I head down to van next time I'm gonna try and snag those beans. Sandy is old, pushin 90 or above and has been my guru since 1989 or 1990. I owe so much to him it's crazy.

so that's one more possible origin LOL
the old guy I got the black tuna from is from a totally different and much further north circle of growers

mazar_man

I appreciate your thoughts on this.
The oldest grower I know, and he said I could drop his name here as he is well known in certain circles. Sandy R , he IS the first person to receive BC chemo from the lab in the early part of the 90's. I know it's a tall tale, and could care less if it's believed, but I was there on the couch, the day it happened. Though when Sandy wrote the original tags on the plants he wrote "K*" for Kimo, because that's how he thought it was spelled.
Anyhow, Sandy figures Black Tuna is either BC Kimo crossed with Norhern Lights#5 or with purple afghan. he figures purple afghan because it was one of the few that could be gotten in seed form in the lowermainland back in that time period. Talking to him last night on the phone, he said he still has a super old metal bandaid container in his freezer with the purple afghan seeds and some seeds he made crossing it to the Kimo. When I head down to van next time I'm gonna try and snag those beans. Sandy is old, pushin 90 or above and has been my guru since 1989 or 1990. I owe so much to him it's crazy.

so that's one more possible origin LOL
the old guy I got the black tuna from is from a totally different and much further north circle of growers

Cool.. finally some insight into the UBC chemo/kemo/kimo lol story. What is Sandy's story regarding it's origin's btw? I first puffed chemo that my gf at the time was getting from UBC back in 91 so I am thinking he must have gotten it earlier than early nineties. Love to crack into that can of his for sure.