What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I didnt post this

chives

I didn't post this.

Im currently looking for peoples opinion on which direction to head.
I went to school for 1 year for computer science but decided based on what I enjoyed more to drop out of school to pursue
growing. I live in ohio so I ran into problems mainly trying to grow in a house of 7 people so I shut down my tent and moved out and currently live by myself with a 600 watt grow.
What I want to know is What would be the best direction to go to get the most experience I can, whether it be to pursue work or a "internship" else where or to continue to slowly scale up?

Im not opposed of going back to school as in the past I never did bad but I feel that I should pursue experience over a degree or if possible both. Really i feel that I would like to work under somebody that really knows their stuff but being in ohio I have met few opportunities to do this. other than cannabis I have done landscaping and mowing as my uncle owns a business and If i cant find any oppertunities this summer I will be purchasing my own equipment and filling my time with that.

I didn't post this

Last edited:

Coba

Veteran
you dropped out of school to grow in a tent in Ohio? ... computer science school even ...

do you think that's borderline obsession? passion is one thing ... obsession is an other.

Are you sure you're not an addict?

not tringg to be mean ... just seems like you gave up a sure thing for a maybe and now that maybe has turned into this thread.

chives

I was having second thoughts about wanting to program for a living vs doing what I felt was my passion, also was partying alot but thankfully have gotten over that now that being said if i could do it it again I would definitely have stayed in school since i watched all my roomates get internships and make just as much as me working but what is done is done

Coba

Veteran
shit dude the future is programming python into arduinos and automating entire greenhouses... farmerws want to look at their smart phones and turn irrgation on thanks to $20,000 sensors telling them what's what.

you have the skills to make that happen?

chives

not quite yet but i have a raspberry pi and was looking into making my own environmental controller but I only know a little java and python.

Coba

Veteran
well... for a someone who was computer savvy my advise would be to look into sensors and automation...

not from personal experience but, friends say unless you know someone... it's hard to find work. everybody and their brother have the same idea. you gotta cut out a niche. specialize.

mowood3479

Veteran
My advice is if u can afford to, go back to school.
It won't be that sweet ten years down the road growing herb for a living n not having another marketable skill... Especially if it's legalized nationally...
Basically I'm saying I think it's better to give ur self options... Many people have successfully grown herb to pay for school. If u can pull that off, I think that's the smart play... It doesn't have to be a one or the other thing..
But idk that anyone should take my advice.. I'm not Nostradamus. I didn't win powerball last week...

Last edited:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
you sound youthful.. id also vote go back to school. its not what you wanna hear but you can still work with your passion on the side. take it from someone who has chosen many stupid paths in the years.. retrospect is a beautiful thing lol
good luck..

Another bonus is you would have plenty of contacts at school to move your 600w stuff.

You would be busy with school and smoke less of your stash too.

Maybe find a good partner, get them setup and have em give you a % for your help, clones, time.

* partners can be a risky deal, greed, bigmouths, so use extreme caution on that idea.

Go big, or go home to Mommy's

DoomsDay

I'm going to agree with everyone in this thread. Especially since I'm doing exactly as they suggest and attending school full time and still managing a grow to keep me from buying which is in turn providing me that experience you're taking about wanting to gain as well. Growing isn't a hands on 16 hours a day kinda thing unless you're working with a large volume of plants, of which would be foolish for an inexperienced grower.

And I'll second that on the programming side as well. Programming is the future hands down. Every field worth a damn has some need for programming, and thst need I going to grow exponentially in the coming years. Learn c++, python, etc and apply it to your passion... be an innovator, not another sheeple

eyes

Veteran
Im currently looking for peoples opinion on which direction to head.
I went to school for 1 year for computer science but decided based on what I enjoyed more to drop out of school to pursue
growing. I live in ohio so I ran into problems mainly trying to grow in a house of 7 people so I shut down my tent and moved out and currently live by myself with a 600 watt grow.
What I want to know is What would be the best direction to go to get the most experience I can, whether it be to pursue work or a "internship" else where or to continue to slowly scale up?
Im not opposed of going back to school as in the past I never did bad but I feel that I should pursue experience over a degree or if possible both. Really i feel that I would like to work under somebody that really knows their stuff but being in ohio I have met few opportunities to do this. other than cannabis I have done landscaping and mowing as my uncle owns a business and If i cant find any oppertunities this summer I will be purchasing my own equipment and filling my time with that.

Dont be a fool, stay in school. Growing weed as a career is not where its at. Most of the good times are past at this point. You need to look at it from both sides of the coin. If you get caught, can you afford a lawyer? That will cost you thousands. You will have your assets seized. Possibly your name in the paper. A criminal conviction results in a permanent record and forget about a career going forward with backround checks. Too many negatives with risks and certainly not enough reward. If I were you Id break it down,clean it up, and get you ass back in school. Watch from a distance here if you want to see all the pretty plants grow. Its alot safer that way.

I know a young man that did an internship like you speak of. they are out there. Growing Weed is the future, and the future starts right now. Find out who are the money people in your area, and learn about them, and introduce yourself to them with confidence. Find a professional legal operation you can join and be safe that way. There are many states that offer the opportunity for folks just like you.

Bushy Old Grower is someone that comes to mind about success in growing. Never give up on your dreams.

good luck.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
go back to school for horticulture...you don't need mj specific classes schooling..alot of my experience comes from other crops...yeehaw..much of marijuana growing was learned and carried over from other crops...my schooling has be very valuable to me over the years...

Probably most important. Follow your heart.

No matter how much you are paid, if you do not love what you do, no amount of money will change that, and you will not be happy. However if you love what you do, the amount of money does not matter, and you will be happy.

you choose and let us know.