What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado marijuana users sue grower over fungicide

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By Keith Coffman

DENVER (Reuters) - Two Colorado marijuana users have sued a cannabis grower claiming a "patently dangerous" agricultural fungicide that becomes poisonous when ignited was applied without their knowledge to pot plants they later smoked, court documents showed on Monday.
Brandan Flores and Brandie Larrabee allege that distributor and retailer LivWell has for years applied Eagle 20, a fungicide that contains the chemical myclobutanil, to its marijuana crop.
The fungicide is approved for certain edible agricultural crops, but not for smokable products such as tobacco, according to the complaint filed in Denver District Court.
"As such, persons who smoke cannabis that has been sprayed with Eagle 20 inhale ... poisonous hydrogen cyanide," the lawsuit said.
Along with the District of Columbia, four states - Colorado Washington, Oregon and Alaska - allow the possession and use of marijuana for recreational purposes. Nearly two dozen states have medical marijuana laws on their books.
The plaintiff's lawyer, Steven Woodrow, said the complaint was the first product liability action filed against the legal marijuana industry that he is aware of, and he was seeking class-action status for the lawsuit.
Flores, a recreational cannabis user, and Larrabee, a brain-tumor patient who holds a medical marijuana card, are not alleging that they were sickened by the chemical, but that they would not have smoked pot they bought from LivWell if they had known it contained the fungicide.
They are asking for reimbursement of money they spent on a product they cannot use, and are also demanding that LivWell stop using the fungicide on its cannabis crop.
According to court documents, LivWell maintains its plants are safe.
"Testing of our finished product by an independent, state-licensed lab approved by the City of Denver showed that our products are safe – as we have always maintained," LivWell's owner, John Lord, said in a statement.
Neither Lord nor his lawyer immediately responded to requests for comment.
Earlier this year, Denver health regulators withheld some 60,000 of LivWell's plants from sale until the levels of the chemical were tested, the lawsuit said.
The plants were later released for sale after low levels of the chemical were detected, according to the lawsuit, but that did not remove the harm the chemical can cause, the complaint alleged.
(Reporting by Keith Coffman; Editing by Victoria Cavaliere and Richard Pullin)

View Comments (85)
http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-marijuana-users-sue-grower-over-fungicide-050550955.html

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I saw this coming... just didn't think it would be so soon...

Get ready people.. The flood gates are opening and the lawsuits (some frivolous, some not) will be clogging the courts soon...

And the winners will be.......you guessed it... THE LAWYERS.....

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hopefully that makes some growers take note ,
i see here many seem to like that eagle 20, theres a whole thread on it,
a quick google says its dangerous and shouldnt be used ,
and yet ....
sloppy growers using dangerous chemicals to avoid having to clean up their act ,, shame shame shame ...

Budley Doright

Veteran
I find this an interesting topic.....

cannabis growers use all sorts of things that may even be organic but have never been proven safe to smoke....

neem oil comes to mind......

minds_I

Veteran
ahh what about the toxins produced when combustion takes place? ohhh,

POM:

The term polycyclic organic matter (POM) defines a broad class of compounds that includes the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon compounds (PAHs), of which benzo[a]pyrene is a member. POM compounds are formed primarily from combustion and are present in the atmosphere in particulate form. Sources of air emissions are diverse and include cigarette smoke, vehicle exhaust, home heating, laying tar, and grilling meat. Cancer is the major concern from exposure to POM. Epidemiologic studies have reported an increase in lung cancer in humans exposed to coke oven emissions, roofing tar emissions, and cigarette smoke; all of these mixtures contain POM compounds. Animal studies have reported respiratory tract tumors from inhalation exposure to benzo[a]pyrene and forestomach tumors, leukemia, and lung tumors from oral exposure to benzo[a]pyrene. EPA has classified seven PAHs (benzo[a]pyrene, benz[a]anthracene, chrysene, benzofluoranthene, benzo[k]fluoranthene, dibenz[a,h]anthracene, and indeno[1,2,3-cd]pyrene) as Group B2, probable human carcinogens.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
I think this is a pretty good thing personally. That shit is awful and damaging to the environment at large as well.

medicalmj

Veteran
I use Eagle 20 on plants in veg if PM is discovered. From what I've researched the half like is such that after two or more months it's as safe as anything we consume. I swear by it but don't condone its use on flowers.

I use Serenade or Safers fungicide on buds up to 1 week before harvest and then rinse or soak before trimming if Serenade or any other (OMRI only in flower) product was used at end of flower. From what I've researched the half like is such that after two or more months it's as safe as anything we consume.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I use Eagle 20 on plants in veg if PM is discovered. From what I've researched the half like is such that after two or more months it's as safe as anything we consume. I swear by it but don't condone its use on flowers.

I use Serenade or Safers fungicide on buds up to 1 week before harvest and then rinse or soak before trimming if Serenade or any other (OMRI only in flower) product was used at end of flower. From what I've researched the half like is such that after two or more months it's as safe as anything we consume.

get your stuff tested , know for sure , dont just guess .. seems like you could end up in court otherwise ..
you d be better off improving your grow environment to avoid those problems in the first place ....

OGEvilgenius

Veteran

That's just the half life. It lasts far longer than 2 months.

Granger2

Veteran
A half life of 2 months means that half of it is still there at 2 months. Two months later 1/4 of it is still there, and so on. -granger

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How can you spray anything on buds, i can't believe so many people do it...

Oh you'd be surprised!! Labeling everything that made the plant grow is on packaging (at least in SO CO)....from hormones, nutrient amendments, pesticides, fungicides when you buy at rec store.

Well, not up for me to decide. It's just scary what some commercial growers will do.

Could be as bad as paraquat down the road.....

'Breathing in Paraquat may cause lung damage and can lead to a disease called Paraquat lung. Paraquat causes damage to the body when it touches the lining of the mouth, stomach, or intestines. You can get sick if Paraquat touches a cut on your skin. Paraquat may also damage the kidneys, liver, and esophagus....'
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001085.htm

dddaver

Veteran
Personally, I don't see suits like this as a bad thing at all. If there are regulations in place like the one in IL about not using chemicals on flowering plants too, then how is that a bad thing? I myself like knowing exactly what I'm ingesting.

Being the carefree, immortal teenager taking every bathtub blotter junk and smoking anything green that came in a baggy might really not have been so good. Back then that was all there was though. But things have changed. Thank God. We're better than that now.

Just as long as the fucking FDA keeps there political, grubby, filthy, corrupt hands off, it'll be fine. I can see it now, the RDA for THC is 1gm, do NOT, under any circumstance ever exceed this amount. Even though there has never, not once, been a certified cannabis overdose. :)

Toxic fertilizer chemicals will be next in court, and someday probably even GMO arguments. As a 100% organic guy, I think it's ALL good myself. It also means mj is becoming more mainstream if things like this are heard in court. I do hate petty suits, but we are a litigious society and it all has to start somewhere.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Everyone is watching

Everyone is watching

Don't mess this up for the rest of us. Keep these big ops straight and clean without getting courts involved. I was smiling as the talk of the half life kept being what justified its use. We have to keep the dangerous chemicals out of the news even if it means losing some crops, especially if smoking flower is what we hope to be acceptable.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used Eagle 20 once in late 2013. I grew from seeds for 13 years without a single mold or mildew issue. I did one grow from dispensary clones, and my whole room got taken over by powdery mildew. I used it one time on plants in late veg that I wasn't selling to anyone.

Lesson learned, by the way. I need to stick with seeds and my own mother plants I've grown from seed. I had to throw away most of my equipment and my precious C99 mother plants to learn this lesson.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used Eagle 20 once in late 2013. I grew from seeds for 13 years without a single mold or mildew issue. I did one grow from dispensary clones, and my whole room got taken over by powdery mildew. I used it one time on plants in late veg that I wasn't selling to anyone.

Lesson learned, by the way. I need to stick with seeds and my own mother plants I've grown from seed. I had to throw away most of my equipment and my precious C99 mother plants to learn this lesson.

Most important, lesson learned and not repeated. At times it's costly or aggravating, but it's all about the learning curve.

I knew chemicals are being used for cannabis production. All the more to grow & go organic.

Powdery mildew.....crushed garlic in diluted milk sprayed on leaves. Or baking soda and water, both sprayed on foliage. Cinnamon and water.....mut' mo' better than caustic chemicals...only my opinion. I like a clean smoke or edible.

All the shops getting caught selling to minors is pathetic also. All they need is one of those calendars like gas stations have. " Born after this date.. Under age". So easy.

blaze02

sounds like Denver regulators eventually ended up allowing livwell to release the product from all 60,000 plants even though they had residuals...they might get caught up bad in this one!

Overall, bad for the industry. Makes it look dangerous to antis and idiots on the outside, and is fodder for regulators to create even more restrictions on an industry that needs more time to establish itself.
On the plus side though I think it will increase consumer awareness and create a demand for products that are pesticide free or naturally grown. I want to see the industry shaped by consumer demand and the effects of a free market rather than restrictions imposed by clueless regualtors