What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MMPR problems: Starting materials(seeds or plants)

GreenthumbLP

As of March 31st, 2014 any new licensed producer can only obtain starting materials from two sources:

1) Importation from a legal foreign source
2) Marihuana plants or seeds from a current MMPR licensed producer

This creates what seems to be a major problem for new LPs given that current LPs are generally not going to help a competitor get started. Second, legal foreign sources are next to impossible. There are seed shops every where but given these shops aren't government licensed producers they do not count as a legal source.

'Cannabis' signed an exclusive deal with an Israele licensed producer and is importing from there. In the US marijuana is still federally illegal so good luck shipping anything out of there.

This seems crazy given all diverse strains out there and yet limiting the licensed producers.

Medman love all your strains and so do our patients in the MMAR! Silver skunk bx1, rockstar k.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi greenthumb

when there is a will there is a way. its too bad i am unde NDA, or i would still be very open about problem solving

tell your lp to stop being lazy, as its stands i have about 10 outs with ammcan to get gear rocking and rolling.

in any event good luck for now, i wont be producing for a bit still :)

med-man

C

c-ray

seems to me that with the pending court cases that the mar. 31 date is void and that LP's should still be able acquire starting material from folks in the MMAR program..

outdoordreams

Many future LP have stored their genetics with legal clone houses in Canada.
You can pay to keep your strains exclusive or you can pay less for them to store strains that will not remain exclusive.

There are a couple more loop holes to get your legal genetics too.

Buddha1

Veteran
seems to me that with the pending court cases that the mar. 31 date is void and that LP's should still be able acquire starting material from folks in the MMAR program..

This can only happen if/when Health Canada changes the regulation within the MMPR regulations.

Link to MMPR regs:

http://www.laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2013-119/

Health Canada MMPR regulations said:
Sale or Provision of Marihuana to Licensed Producer

High Lighted to stand out said:
260. Sections 261 to 266 apply until March 31, 2014.
Sale or Provision by Holder of a Personal-use Production Licence

261. The holder of a personal-use production licence may sell or provide marihuana plants or seeds to a licensed producer if the holder does so in accordance with a notice of authorization issued by the Minister under subsection 263(2).

262. (1) The holder of a personal-use production licence who proposes to sell or provide marihuana plants or seeds to a licensed producer must submit to the Minister an application for authorization of the proposed sale or provision that contains the following information:

(a) in respect of the holder of the personal-use production licence:

(i) their name and date of birth,

(ii) the number of their licence,

(iii) the address of the place where they ordinarily reside, and

(iv) the address of the site where the production of marihuana is authorized;

(b) in respect of the licensed producer:

(i) their name,

(ii) the number of their licence,

(iii) the address of their site, and

(iv) the name of their senior person in charge; and

(c) a description of the marihuana plants or seeds that are to be sold or provided and their quantity.
Marginal note:Signature

(2) The application must be signed and dated by the holder of the personal-use production licence and by the licensed producer’s senior person in charge and include a statement by each of them indicating that all of the information submitted in support of the application is correct and complete to the best of that person’s knowledge.

Marginal note:Verification by Minister

263. (1) The Minister must, after examining the application and information required under section 262, verify if the following conditions are met:

(a) the personal-use production licence and the licensed producer’s licence are valid; and

(b) the number of marihuana plants to be sold or provided, if any, does not exceed the maximum number of plants specified in the personal-use production licence.
Marginal note:Notice of authorization

(2) If the conditions are met, the Minister must send to both parties a notice of authorization of the proposed sale or provision that

(a) specifies the names of the parties, the type of licence held by each party and the licence numbers;

(b) describes the marihuana plants or seeds that are to be sold or provided and their quantity;

(c) specifies that the notice is valid only for the sale or provision in respect of which it is issued;

(d) specifies that the notice is valid only if the licences referred to in paragraph (1)(a) are valid at the time of the sale or provision; and

(e) specifies that the sale or provision must be completed not later than 30 days after the date of the notice.
Marginal note:Notice of refusal

(3) If the conditions are not met, the Minister must send to each of the parties a notice of refusal of the proposed sale or provision that sets out the reasons for the refusal.
Marginal note:Opportunity to be heard

(4) The parties may, within 10 days after the receipt of a notice of refusal, provide the Minister with reasons why the refusal is unfounded.

Maybe once the Health Canada's appeal has been heard by the federal court and Conroy wins. With there appeal rejected Health Canada will be forced to change the regulations on transfers(Maybe...Its HC's program. LP's may have to go to court and force them), but until then, don't expect any changes. As long as Health Canada believes there's a chance to win, there will be no changes.

Peace...B

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
hi greenthumb

when there is a will there is a way. its too bad i am unde NDA, or i would still be very open about problem solving

tell your lp to stop being lazy, as its stands i have about 10 outs with ammcan to get gear rocking and rolling.

in any event good luck for now, i wont be producing for a bit still :)

med-man

Respect medman ,but can we get just a clue even? I am sure you guys have a great team, but 10 outs to get starting materials? and us guys can only come up with maybe one that may work? We can't be that stupid? Can you at least say if seed companies seeds can get into MMPR companies? We will all know soon enough anyway, just help your ICmag brothers a bit?

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey seeds

i am sorry buddy. i started a thread on here called commercial license success, that all the trolls and haters had locked out. little to they realize how stupid that was, because now all the information from then till now would have been open for eveyone to see. they alwyas think they are shooting me in the leg, when it fact its everyone else that suffers.

there is no such thing as a gift of knowledge, everything must be learned the hard way

med-man

You can pay to keep your strains exclusive or you can pay less for them to store strains that will not remain exclusive.

Could you please name 1 or more of these legal clone houses? The only ones I can imagine are the 20 LPs and the RnD MediJean.

Could you please name 1 or more of these legal clone houses? The only ones I can imagine are the 20 LPs and the RnD MediJean.

I think about 8 months ago a nursery someone in the Langley area, I think, got a special license to grow/make/breed plants/clones that can be sold to LP's.

I haven't hear much about it since then but ist an already established nursery from what I was told.

diffusing

from their website..

When can THC Bank start supplying to Licensed producers?

• THC Bank have submitted an application to Health Canada to become an authorized LP. They are awaiting approval to commence operations.
fyi

I also believe many 'future LP' either file for a research license, which allows them to grow prior to their final approval, or get some other form of approval that allows them to grow, just not yet sell...

I think about 8 months ago a nursery someone in the Langley area, I think, got a special license to grow/make/breed plants/clones that can be sold to LP's.

I haven't hear much about it since then but ist an already established nursery from what I was told.

Yes, that is medijean. They have a large research facility while they wait for approval to sell. http://www.medijean.com/

I also believe many 'future LP' either file for a research license, which allows them to grow prior to their final approval, or get some other form of approval that allows them to grow, just not yet sell...

Yes, that is medijean. They have a large research facility while they wait for approval to sell. http://www.medijean.com/

This wasn't Medijean but a nursery that was already operating for a long time. I'll see if I can get more info after the weekend.

This wasn't Medijean but a nursery that was already operating for a long time. I'll see if I can get more info after the weekend.

Interesting. That sounds a lot like Medijean, all the way down to your 8 month timeline so I am curious who else is doing this. Medijean had been operating under MMAR for some time, if I recall correctly. I remember reading that Koch Flowers in Langley applied a while back, but I don't think they received approval. I called them once and they didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about. http://www.kochflowers.ca/

Interesting. That sounds a lot like Medijean, all the way down to your 8 month timeline so I am curious who else is doing this. Medijean had been operating under MMAR for some time, if I recall correctly. I remember reading that Koch Flowers in Langley applied a while back, but I don't think they received approval. I called them once and they didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about. http://www.kochflowers.ca/

Ahh that's the one I believe. Friend of mine has lots of contact in the nursery industry and I believe that's the one he mentioned but the info does go though lots of layers.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
who will be the first to get plant breeders rights on their varieties and charge a royalty per clone or cutting propagated?

http://cdnseed.org/library/plant-breeders-rights/

Looks pretty gross to me. Especially disgusting since a select handful of people are "allowed" to grow marijuana in Canada, and recreational growers will be years behind (legally). These LPs could start charging royalities on strains that are actually created by underground breeders, and who could argue(legally).