What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do breeders even IBL anymore?

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
inbred: A plant resulting from successive self-fertilization of parents throughout several generations gene

inbred line: A line produced by continued inbreeding; usually a nearly homozygous line originating by continued self-fertilization, accompanied by selection gene >>> Figure 51

inbred pure lines: Involves inbreeding of annual seed-propagated material; homogeneous and homozygous lines are isolated by selection of desired recombinants or segregates in F2 to F7 generations of crosses between parental pure lines (generally monogenotypic lines can be blended to form multilines, e.g., in tomato, lettuce, soybean, pea, cowpea, snapbean, field bean, Arabian coffee, Capsicum pepper, eggplant, okra, lentil, and papaya) meth >>> Figure 51

inbred-variety cross: The F1 cross of an inbred line with a variety meth >>> toppers >>> Table 37

inbreeding: The crossing of closely related plants; one important purpose of induced inbreeding is the development of genotypes that can be maintained through multiple generations of seed production; self-pollinated cultivars are reproduced for many generations by inbreeding; inbreeding is also used to reduce the frequency of deleterious recessive alleles in genotypes that serve as parents of a synthetic or a vegetatively propagated cultivar; inbreeding increases the genetic and phenotypic variability among individuals in a population; four mating systems are used to increase the homozygosity in a breeding population meth >>> Figures 50, 51

inbreeding coefficient: The probability that the two genes at any locus in a diploid individual are identical by descent (i.e., they originated from the replication of one gene in a previous generation) gene meth >>> Table 10

inbreeding depression:The reduction in vigor often observed in progeny from matings between close relatives; it is due to the expression of recessive deleterious alleles; it is usually severe in open-pollinated outcrossing species; an effect opposite to heterosis gene >>> heterosis

inbreeding load: The extent to which a population is impaired by inbreeding bio evol >>> Table 10

inbreeding population:>>> inbreeding

source : Dictionary of PLANT BREEDING -
Rolf H.J. Schlegel

www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/iha01215.html

picture.php

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
inbred: A plant resulting from successive self-fertilization of parents throughout several generations gene
]

The only problem I have with the wording of this is parents implies plural, ie more than one. Self implies singular. F Normaly denotes multiple, S normally denotes Singular. That distinction isn't clarified. Both create an inbred line using different routes.

Rez is the last guy you need here. He spewed so much bullshit to sell seeds.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Then are you saying that only selfing creates an I bred line? I'm not trying to take a pop, I'm just trying to tie down what is being said. I would however disagree if that is what is being said.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
no this includes backrossing, selfing and other methods not detailed in the definition
but to call something inbred, it must be inbred first

mqdefault.jpg

stashpot

That's the spirit guys.. lets talk here.

The only difference between an IL and an IBL is the method of which you used to create it.
an IL you use 2 sets of lines until you get to f5-f6 then cross both of those lines together to get your new generation.. it still falls under an IBL because its an inbred and you used inline to create it.
In the end what you have is seeds from the same family generation after generation it doesn't matter if you used inline method or the standard method to create the IBL.

Here is an IL example this is a method for which is used to create the IBL

picture.php

stashpot

You know what i really love about this plant guys.. is that none of us will ever unlock her.
Her combination is scattered throughout the universe.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stashpot, this thread isn't about how to create an inbred line. It was asking the question of why breeders who sell seeds don't sell or create many inbred lines.

The reason why we got onto the 'how' is because you posted confusing and misleading information about how to create inbred lines and people corrected you.

can you now allow the thread to go back 'on topic' please
ETA: nice thread here about inbreeding methods:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=17570

VG

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Sorry V.G. I forgot the purpose too, I get carried away with this stuff, ocd is a cruel master.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you were just trying to avoid misinformation mate - and for that i salute you !

That's the spirit guys.. lets talk here.

The only difference between an IL and an IBL is the method of which you used to create it.
an IL you use 2 sets of lines until you get to f5-f6 then cross both of those lines together to get your new generation.. it still falls under an IBL because its an inbred and you used inline to create it.
In the end what you have is seeds from the same family generation after generation it doesn't matter if you used inline method or the standard method to create the IBL.

Here is an IL example this is a method for which is used to create the IBL

picture.php
Interesting, maybe I will try this chart for my seed project:

OGK ((male from feminized auto seeds, obviously not stable as 30% of plants were photos)) x GSC auto
((GSC female 1 of 40 absolutely beautiful 1970s Hawaiian Maui Wowi sweet sugarlacious Terp smell & thick bodacious buds loaded with Trichomes))

But I must say a lot of different diagrams, opinions, comments, & articles on Breeding I guess I will just give it a shot…!?!
:)