What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing outdoor in Hawaii

Miasa Mura

Hey ICMAG friends!

I’m planning to move to Hawaii in the next year or two and I wanted to know of any tips you might share. Pest, diseases, issues, whatever you’ve encountered while growing on the Islands would be helpful. Thanks everyone!

troutman

Seed Whore
Pure Indicas may get moldy there with the humidity.

It's jungle country, so grow some Sativa trees. :biggrin:

oldhaole

Veteran
Hawaii is a diverse place. Windward, leeward, mauka, makai, each is a different microclimate, not to mention what island are you gonna call home?

Depending on where you finally land is when to ask the questions. What will work out in the scrubland of Kanio may not work the same in the rainforest of Nahiku.

Either way, it's a really easy place to grow really good weed. But it's an expensive place to call home. The time where you can move to Hawaii, grow weed and build a little empire are long gone, gone with the sugarcane fields. Good Luck.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
To move to another part of the country sounds exciting. Most of us have family and friends that we don't want to leave. I have looked at states really counties that are easy to build on. One person said Hawaii has places that are mostly free of building permits. That is my kind of place if I ever move.

Miasa Mura

Hawaii is a diverse place. Windward, leeward, mauka, makai, each is a different microclimate, not to mention what island are you gonna call home?

Depending on where you finally land is when to ask the questions. What will work out in the scrubland of Kanio may not work the same in the rainforest of Nahiku.

Either way, it's a really easy place to grow really good weed. But it's an expensive place to call home. The time where you can move to Hawaii, grow weed and build a little empire are long gone, gone with the sugarcane fields. Good Luck.

Thank you for the Insight! I’m looking at Kihei or Makawao in Maui - Hilo or Captain Cook on the Big Island. I know that each one of those four spots will have different climates. I assume humidity is a major issue throughout all microclimates? I’m not looking to come and start an Ganja business, just want to grow heady head-stash under rainbows :) Cost of living is comparable to where I live currently in California, and I won’t have to blast my heater for half the year:woohoo:

Miasa Mura

To move to another part of the country sounds exciting. Most of us have family and friends that we don't want to leave. I have looked at states really counties that are easy to build on. One person said Hawaii has places that are mostly free of building permits. That is my kind of place if I ever move.

I’m hoping that those friends and family will visit, knowing they don’t need to pay for a place to stay while they visit :) I’ve heard that too, about the building permits being fairly permissible in the Jungle areas. I fell in love with the islands and it feels like home.

Miasa Mura

Luang Prabang Lao Sativa

gypsy still has packs of these........

https://www.realgorillaseeds.com/product/luang-prabang-lao-sativa/

I know 'green' grew the bodhi acapulco gold with fantastic results and rsc highland Thai

I think hes on the hawaiian islands

That’s awesome, thanks for the link! I’d love to grow some Laotian. Highland Thai or Cambodian would be great too! I’ve grown
Reeferman’s Black Willie (Nepalese x Vietnamese Black) x Vietnamese Black as well as a cutting of a World of Seeds Ko Chang Thai, but not as much experience as I’d like with SEAsian strains.

Miasa Mura

Yeah, thats a big move even if you are on the coast....Aloha!

rsc still has the thai.....

https://www.seedsman.com/en/cannabis-seed-breeders/the-real-seed-company

.....Another good one for tropical environment kerela for sure

Catch up with snowhigh on IG for some hawaiian strains and other extreme sativas

Thanks for the link on the RSC Highland Thai! Kerala was on my mind too, I might have to grab some of those. I’m looking forward to growing some outdoor Hawaiian herb :)

kalopatchkid

Veteran
We have all the typical cannabis pests here....root aphids, root mealybugs, russets, broads, etc. Your biggest issue will mostly be the high humidity, but the west side of any island will be drier than the east.

If you have a greenhouse with some fans you can pretty much grow any strain you want.

Lots of folks here are growing the same trendy shit being grown in california.

Miasa Mura

We have all the typical cannabis pests here....root aphids, root mealybugs, russets, broads, etc. Your biggest issue will mostly be the high humidity, but the west side of any island will be drier than the east.

If you have a greenhouse with some fans you can pretty much grow any strain you want.

Lots of folks here are growing the same trendy shit being grown in california.

Thank you Kalopatchkid! That’s really helpful :) I’d like to take advantage of the tropical climate and grow some long flowering genetics from South East Asia.

Stuff flowers year round here on the islands. If you decide to grow pure sativas you will notice a huge difference in flowering time during the short season compared to the long season. My Golden Tigers only take about 7 weeks to finish in early fall to late spring but take around 12 weeks to finish during the long season which is around May to Aug so it's good to plan accordingly. A lot of my other strains take about 6-7 weeks to finish in the short season and about 7-8 weeks during the long season. I live in the highlands of Maui and never get any mold unless the caterpillars eat off the buds. Caterpillars are the biggest issue where I'm at. They can get big and come in huge waves during certain times of the year. Plants can get completely eaten away and destroyed if left unchecked. Otherwise it's a dream to grow here. Best of luck!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Like oldhaole said earlier, it ain't like the old days...

You can go there and grow your personal stash, but you ain't gonna do any massive grow.

In 1978, a buddy of mine used to get regular shipments in the mail from his friend in Hawaii..

Huge ice chests like fishermen use, were packed with vacuum bags of dried buds and completely sealed up with sealing wax..
He got several of these each year..

But those days are long gone...

Miasa Mura

Like oldhaole said earlier, it ain't like the old days...

You can go there and grow your personal stash, but you ain't gonna do any massive grow.

In 1978, a buddy of mine used to get regular shipments in the mail from his friend in Hawaii..

Huge ice chests like fishermen use, were packed with vacuum bags of dried buds and completely sealed up with sealing wax..
He got several of these each year..

But those days are long gone...

It’s All for my head :)
If I was going to go big, I would stay in California.
Sounds like a nice friend to share his harvest across the ocean :biggrin:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Good luck to you friend...

Another guy I used to know in the mid 70's moved to the "Big Island" from Virginia in the late 70's , and never came back home!

therevverend

Veteran
There's a lot of micro climates in the islands, but generally it's very humid. To be very successful hoop houses are the way to go. The shorter day length can cause a lot of strains to Auto flower. A lot of people Veg indoors, or outdoors with supplemental lighting, to get the plant to the size they want. Then stick it outdoors in the hoop house to flower.

Be sure to study up on day length and weather before you start growing. The driest time of year may not coincide with the fall harvest. Ideally you'd want strains acclimated to the shorter day length and moisture so you can grow a long season crop but that's not easy and may not be the strains you want. No matter how resistant a plant will turn to grey sludge if it's sopping wet 24 hours a day.

You may find it easier to let the plants Autoflower, run them so they flower during the dry time of year, you might be able to get 2 or 3 crops in that way. The best part about the islands is getting to experiment with a greater variety of strains and techniques, hope you're able to share some of your discoveries with us!

Latest posts

Latest posts