What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

L

LolaGal

Lola,
I crushed up 3 dunks and mixed them into about 35-40 gallons of my lc mix. Right in with the ammendments. I let it sit for a few weeks, kept it moist, and then transplanted into 3 gallon pots. I have zero fungus gnats... been about 2 months now.

Before that, my soil had been sitting in a sealed tub inside the house. When I opened it up, there were about 900,000,000 gnats flying out of it.

I may have to add some more to the top in a month or so, but I am going to wait and see.

Thanks for this thread and the Dunks.......

You are Quite Welcome! Thanks for the report! I started studying these durn gnats, and wanted to share my research on them. It do WORK! ;)

I tried these things and they worked. Finally gnat free. I took a while but there all gone. I crumble them in my mix and any new soil I bring home. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, it does take a while, but once gnat free, adding dunk to new soil will always keep them from coming BACK! :dance:

I am SO going to use these in my recycles FFOF. These bastards have been hanging around ever since I got a bullshit grand daddy purple clone and they never really caused me any issues UNTIL recently. I think they got up in numbers and are fuckin shit up.

mosquito dunks to the rescue AND I am going to crumble one up and toss it in my recycled soil bin and mix it around. Would it be better to mix it in or just top soil?

Good deal! I dunno. If it was me, I would crumble it and sprinkle all over the top and then mix it in a little so the wind doesn't blow it away... So I guess, BOTH! lol.

They are pretty expensive, but I have had gnats eat a whole batch of seedlings. They will eat a bean's roots to the point it never recovers.

I wonder if it will kill those winged root aphids? I don't wanna hafta try that myself... ;)

I'd say if it crawls in the medium as larvae, it will be likely in trouble!

Too bad Miracle Grow and these soil companies don't use this at the factory to keep us from gettin them in the first place!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Good deal! I dunno. If it was me, I would crumble it and sprinkle all over the top and then mix it in a little so the wind doesn't blow it away... So I guess, BOTH! lol.

They are pretty expensive, but I have had gnats eat a whole batch of seedlings. They will eat a bean's roots to the point it never recovers.

I wonder if it will kill those winged root aphids? I don't wanna hafta try that myself... ;)

I'd say if it crawls in the medium as larvae, it will be likely in trouble!

Too bad Miracle Grow and these soil companies don't use this at the factory to keep us from gettin them in the first place!

I crushed it and tossed it on the top soil, then raked it a bit with my fingers to get it in the top 2" or so then sprayed some water at it then yelled "fuck you lil bastards" and hope they all explode while they look up at me laughing :laughing:

psychodelicbob

Mosquito dunks

Mosquito dunks

Hey Cornflake

I'm purchasing a pack of 10 mosquito dunks for $23(aud) including postage

Quite happy if u wanna go halves

Just give us a yell, if yr keen...

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Lola, :wave: 'Gnat off' works a treat, I had swarms of the little buggers but 2 weeks of adding it to the nutes and they were gone, never seen again. It is a bacteria that gunks the larvae's mouths up so it starves, cruel but fair, :D it's 100% organic if you swing that way

Buz

:tiphat: Hi

First of all thanks for the thread.

next i have a lil query..
I'm from Italy and obviously Mosquito Dunks aren't available here.

(this might be of particular interest to EU mates)
I've done a little reserch and found 2 products available in EU that contain the Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis which are:
1)VECTOBAC DT - produced by Copyr
2)Biolarkim 14 - produced by KB

First is in tablets, the second is in liquid form.

Today I managed to get hold of Vectobac DT (which apparently is much less concentrated than mosquito Dunk, as instructions state that a tablet is enought for 50 liters or 10m² if diluted and sparyed)

My query is that on the label there is clearly stated "not to be used in agriculture" and I'm not sure if to give it a go...:hide:

Does Mosquito Dunks state anything similar?
Whats Mosquito dunk composition?
(vectobact DT ingredients: bacillus thuringiensis, serotype H-14, var. Israeliensis 3.4% + inert ingredients 96.6%)
Do you think it wont be a problem as we do not eat but burn our stash?

what do you guys suggest?

Tnx for any suggestion

Keep it Green
Buz :wave:

Norkali

(vectobact DT ingredients: bacillus thuringiensis, serotype H-14, var. Israeliensis 3.4% + inert ingredients 96.6%)

Edit: Seems the same as our dunks...

Second, I wish to apologize to Lola for being an ass to her in the past on certain occasions; most importantly because she seems like a cool-ass lady, and second because she saved my ass with with this dunk thread - my dunks are broken up and soaking as I type. Thanks Lola!

L

LolaGal

:tiphat: Hi

First of all thanks for the thread.

Today I managed to get hold of Vectobac DT (which apparently is much less concentrated than mosquito Dunk, as instructions state that a tablet is enought for 50 liters or 10m² if diluted and sparyed)

My query is that on the label there is clearly stated "not to be used in agriculture" and I'm not sure if to give it a go...:hide:

Do you think it wont be a problem as we do not eat but burn our stash?

what do you guys suggest?

Tnx for any suggestion

Keep it Green
Buz :wave:

Sounds like the same thing as dunks!

since the plant does not assimilate the baccilus, don't think there is anything to worry about.

The gnat larvae swallow the dunk stuff, and it causes their little guts to explode... hahahahahahaha

But don't think it will hurt the plants at all.

Oh, and Gnatrol is the exact same thing, only tons more expensive.

I applied the crushed dunks three weeks ago and at times it seems like they are working. Other times I look in the garden and the gnats are everywhere. My buds have begun to become very sticky and those fucking gnats are getting stuck in the buds and on the leaves. I am depending on these buds and the trim for my needed medicine to treat my chronic back/neck pain. The trim is especially important as I make hash and then use the remains for cannabutter. It seems like there is so many getting stuck in my buds it may cost me a large percentage of my needed medicine.

L

LolaGal

I applied the crushed dunks three weeks ago and at times it seems like they are working. Other times I look in the garden and the gnats are everywhere. My buds have begun to become very sticky and those fucking gnats are getting stuck in the buds and on the leaves. I am depending on these buds and the trim for my needed medicine to treat my chronic back/neck pain. The trim is especially important as I make hash and then use the remains for cannabutter. It seems like there is so many getting stuck in my buds it may cost me a large percentage of my needed medicine.

I hate to hear that Eat Mo. Sounds like you got em as bad as I did one time.

The good news is that fungus gnats smoke fine when dried, you will hardly notice them at all ;)

Don't give up! Dunks work, but if there is a large infestation, you will see them keep hatching out for several weeks. After week 4 you should have no more gnats hatching. This works, but it is NOT instant death, rather a slow, cruel torture of the little bastards.

The adults that are flying around are laying more eggs, which are hatching and removal of the adult population will help.

Use TANGLEFOOT around the edges of pots and on the bottom of the stems. This is a sticky substance that will catch crawling adults.

Hang fly paper strips all over your grow!!!!! This will catch flying adults.

OR you can get rid of adults with a pyrethrin bomb if it is not too late in flower.

It is best to get rid of them in veg!

Good luck, KEEP fighting the good fight.

Remember you have to add more dunk to all new soil brought in too! Have you got a bag open or stored nearby for them to breed in ? Clean under the pots too! I forgot to tell you that. Washing the saucers under the pots helps too!

DIE FUNGUS GNATS DIE! :dance:

L

LolaGal

yes, mosquito dunks will not harm the plant or affect it to my knowledge.

All growing containers should have fresh dunk on top at all times, to prevent fungus gnat infestation in the first place!

Better to prevent than cure, but this is good stuff!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Good thread, Lola. I tried dunks in water and it's not that good. I give your method a shot whenever the gnats resurface. Cool temps have worked in my favor but I've never been completely gnat free for 2 years.

I always keep my soil in a thick plastic bag because most soil bags are poked full of tiny holes. Those little bastards crawl in the holes and ferk up the show.

I guess I should have kept adding the crushed dunks to the surface. That way I would be a little less unsure if I have gnats or winged aphids. I have flyers all over the place and I'm unsure if their gnats or winged aphids. I added the dunks 4 weeks ago and the numbers slowly declined as I caught hundreds and hundreds on yellow sticky cards. About 10-14 days later their numbers began increasing again rapidly. I never came close to eliminating them but their numbers seemed to be reduced for a short time. It seems like I have well over 100 new ones every day in my tent. If I shine a green light on a yellow sticky card minutes after the HPS turns off for the night I can catch about 100 flyers in 5 minutes. They seem to really like the green light right after the HPS turns off.

L

LolaGal

I guess I should have kept adding the crushed dunks to the surface. That way I would be a little less unsure if I have gnats or winged aphids. I have flyers all over the place and I'm unsure if their gnats or winged aphids. I added the dunks 4 weeks ago and the numbers slowly declined as I caught hundreds and hundreds on yellow sticky cards. About 10-14 days later their numbers began increasing again rapidly. I never came close to eliminating them but their numbers seemed to be reduced for a short time. It seems like I have well over 100 new ones every day in my tent. If I shine a green light on a yellow sticky card minutes after the HPS turns off for the night I can catch about 100 flyers in 5 minutes. They seem to really like the green light right after the HPS turns off.

The dunks should last about 2-3 months before needing replacement.

Let's kill the adults, who are still laying eggs. Get the product Tanglefoot. It is a sticky substance in a tub. Put it all around the edges of your pots.

Also have you got time in flower to hit them with a pyrethrin bomb before harvest?

OK, here's a solution. Since you are in a tent. Put a Shell No pest strip in the tent and leave it there. It will kill the adults.

As long as you have 3 or 4 days of fresh air on the buds before harvest, the pest strip won't hurt you, it disappates.

The pest strip should be the answer! KILL THEM GNATS ;) Hope you don't have winged root aphids.

So bomb em, tanglefoot, keep up sticky traps or fly paper, and stick that no pest strip in your tent. That should get rid of all of em!

Remember, if there is a pot lying around with water in it or some bags of potting soil, they will just breed there and keep pestering. So put dunk chunks in all pots!

I grow organic for myself specially so I don't ingest the chemicals that other growers apply to their gardens. This is for real medicine for me. I eat/vape/smoke organic cannabis daily to reduce my dose of my prescribed Oxycontin that I hate taking. I am trying to end my dependence on my prescribed pain killers through the use of cannabis.
I will likely bomb the crib AFTER harvesting and filling my EZ-Clone with cuts. I will most likely destroy all mothers and start new mothers with some of the cuts. I cannot afford any more losses of my necessary medicine, but I also cannot afford to poison my current batch of medicine. For me this is all about my health. Poisons are not an option.

snaggy-

Just picked up some dunks...it is my last effort to save one plant and keep the other two from getting as bad.

It is weird though, the other half of the plants don't seem affected by the gnats at all.

Now I just need to pick up a bug bomb at the hydro store.

GREAT THREAD... very good idea. and here ive been using natrol every time i see the little jerks. LOL. you're gonna put natrol out of the game. Ill try the dunks next time.

J

jim_browsky

I ordered Mosquito Bits the other day after talking to guy at the
cooperative extension office. He told me about this and also
mentioned a liquid product. I was buying the six pack of dunks at
Lowes for almost $10 and that's for 2.75 oz. So the bits are a good
savings.
JB

Latest posts

Latest posts