What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

SamsonsRiddle

You read my mind, i was thinking if it would need water in the following days.

Even considering that it didnt develop at all in the first 3 days of her life?
i notice the soil is still humid, and my humidier is running a lot almost 24 hours to keep the humidity % so it keeps the evaporation soil at a lower speed i supose?i drilled a lot holes for run of in the bottom and the intakes holes are right just under the pot..
I did notice that as the days went by the humidity was harder to keep bit by bit..maybe in 2 3 days?200 ml?what you think?
Sorry for write such testaments kkkkkk
if you are getting humidity above 60 then your are doing better than most small-scale growers at this stage of growth. once you have more transpiration through more leaves, the humidity might actually swing the other way.

the number one thing you should try to dial in is your environment, which at this point it seems as though you've done.

your seedling looks good, the stem hasn't turned thin and brown and shriveled to a quick death so you are doing good so far. just let the plant do it's thing and if it starts to have a problem you will know. the more problems you have, the better you will become at growing. i would suggest growing some other plants (house plants) and this will expand your knowledge of plants and how to keep them happy.

Sampas92

Just newbin
if you are getting humidity above 60 then your are doing better than most small-scale growers at this stage of growth. once you have more transpiration through more leaves, the humidity might actually swing the other way.

the number one thing you should try to dial in is your environment, which at this point it seems as though you've done.

your seedling looks good, the stem hasn't turned thin and brown and shriveled to a quick death so you are doing good so far. just let the plant do it's thing and if it starts to have a problem you will know. the more problems you have, the better you will become at growing. i would suggest growing some other plants (house plants) and this will expand your knowledge of plants and how to keep them happy.

Thanks for the sugestion samsons

Yes my environment inside the grow is on point..
Yes for now im just going to let her do her thing and today im gonna give her 200ml of water at lights turn off..

My thing is that since at this young stage everything is crucial, autos even more and since i never grow cannabis before i trully never know if what im doing is right, but thank you for the confidence shot :D

TokenDrew

Can you mix the screw in CFLs with LEDs? Got a 600w led light I'm using in a micro grow and was wanting to add some extra light. Was thinking about 6 65w 6500k lumen cfls. New to site. First indoor grow. Have grown a few times outdoor.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you mix the screw in CFLs with LEDs? Got a 600w led light I'm using in a micro grow and was wanting to add some extra light. Was thinking about 6 65w 6500k lumen cfls. New to site. First indoor grow. Have grown a few times outdoor.

You can mix the lights any way you want.

I have an Auto Bastard going under a mix daylight/soft white CFL and a single daylight LED with dome left on cuz I don't have anymore daylight CFLs.

SpideyManDan

Hmmm. Im curious if SIL technology has hit a crest or if it will continue to improve. Then again what else is there to improve except maybe to get cheaper..

Regular horticulture grow lights have been on the move constantly changing and upgrading, which to me is maddening because you spend a shit ton on a grow light and 2 months later it can be considered old technology. Ive been just using SILs as of late because they are cheap and i dont want to spend money on something that will be "obsolete" in a short period of time.

f2obsession

Hmmm. Im curious if SIL technology has hit a crest or if it will continue to improve. Then again what else is there to improve except maybe to get cheaper..

Regular horticulture grow lights have been on the move constantly changing and upgrading, which to me is maddening because you spend a shit ton on a grow light and 2 months later it can be considered old technology. Ive been just using SILs as of late because they are cheap and i dont want to spend money on something that will be "obsolete" in a short period of time.

I think SIL-s keep slowly improving.

A year ago I was happy to find SIL-s with 120+ lm/W.

Now V-TAC presents new series of bulbs with 160lm/W and except the high power filament bulbs, they are quite cheap.

https://www.v-tac.eu/led-products-results-page/led-bulbs/?custom_f_145[0]=3134302d313630206c6d2f57

SpideyManDan

I think SIL-s keep slowly improving.

A year ago I was happy to find SIL-s with 120+ lm/W.

Now V-TAC presents new series of bulbs with 160lm/W and except the high power filament bulbs, they are quite cheap.

https://www.v-tac.eu/led-products-results-page/led-bulbs/?custom_f_145[0]=3134302d313630206c6d2f57

holy shit. I imagine its patented for now but i am curious whats the difference, is it the chip thats in there or is a new design? Where the hell can we get these?

SpideyManDan

Thanks for the sugestion samsons

Yes my environment inside the grow is on point..
Yes for now im just going to let her do her thing and today im gonna give her 200ml of water at lights turn off..

My thing is that since at this young stage everything is crucial, autos even more and since i never grow cannabis before i trully never know if what im doing is right, but thank you for the confidence shot :D

Hell that just comes with time and experience. Im just on my second grow and its amazing how much better i am doing and what ive learned from the first.

PCBuds

... i am curious whats the difference, is it the chip thats in there or is a new design?

The LED chips keep getting more and more efficient, as well as the driver that powers them.

My old school bulbs still work.
80 Im/Watt. Lol

My bulbs still work fine but I'm wasting electricity and generating twice the heat.

That's okay though because it's almost winter and I'm just heating my house with electricity.

You might as well turn electric heat into something smokable. Lol

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The V-Tac Pro series use samsung, so with samsung making 220lm/w lamps and the ~30% diffuser losses the 160lm/w seems real.

I can't find it either. I can find pro series but not them numbers. All my wholesalers sell 100w equivalents that still consume 15w which is very out-dated. Our supermarkets are moving from 14w to 12w at the moment. The v-tac is kinda saying 9.5w but the 9.5w pro is a 60 not 100.

There is no reason why the spec can't be real, but I can't find it. To me they remain just v-expensive-tac.

f2obsession

holy shit. I imagine its patented for now but i am curious whats the difference, is it the chip thats in there or is a new design? Where the hell can we get these?

Search for "V-TAC evolution" products.
In my country there are available V-TAC evolution reflectors too with the same efficiency (160lm/W) in a really good price. But I live in Europe. I dont know if V-TAC products are available in the USA.

SpideyManDan

Eventually, all the manufacturers will be using the more efficient LED chips.

I personally don't want to pay through the nose for the latest and the greatest.

I just buy what's available at a reasonable cost and wait for the cost of newer technology to come down.

It sucks to spend big $ on bulbs when they are worth ¢ in a couple of years.

I remember when they first came out and my friend bought one bulb for $27.
He said it only takes 5 years to pay for itself.

Too bad it burned out before it was paid off. Lol

I bought a bunch of Noma bulbs about a year ago and more than half of them have burned out.
I was using them properly too, with the globes still on and in a proper light fixture in my kitchen.

Yeah that's how I feel too and hell, if I feel like the leds are getting older or I want to switch out for newer bulbs I can do that easily and then use the older ones in my apartment.

I've been getting into growing really anything at this point too. I got some marigolds in my tent that I'm growing with a couple 2.7k watters and they are doing pretty well too. anyone else grow other stuff with these besides cannabis. Just wondering.

Oh, and any word on some high cri, but less expensive SILs? I've heard from a couple people that they are more efficient for photosynthesis and I'm sort of eager to try them out. :plant grow:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I was at Walmart and decided to buy a couple of Great Value SILs.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/mhxXMgTz/20201214-094436.jpg]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/gcwGvtYm/20201214-094421.jpg]View Image[/url]

They were CAD 12.98 plus tax for 2 bulbs.

The 60 Watt equivalent was CAD 4.98 for two bulbs but they aren't as efficient at 10.5 Watts and 800 lumens.

I'm going to remove the globes and use one in my window sill fixture and the other one in my lamp fixture.

I'm not going to tear them apart to see what makes them tick, because they were kind of expensive.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/mDzKFq7n/20201214-095819-1.jpg]View Image[/url]

I'm liking the design.

They don't have those cattle prods anymore.
They have insulated wires that curl up and back down, so if you touch them, you won't get a shock.

I'll bet that they changed their design because of people like us that remove the globes.

It's a lot more idiot-proof.

I'm going to see how hard it is to shock myself. Lol

It will cost $30 in it's 10,000 hour lifetime. $6 more in electric than a 12w version. $10 more in electric than the v-tac which at 10,000 hours has 20,000 hours still to go. So it can save a further $20 in electric before it's replaced. I can't imagine it costs $30 more. Though frankly neither will last that long, the v-tac does get a 5 year guaranty. 44,000 hours. So two lamps for the price of one is possible.

The real difference is heat. Each is about 3w of light, the rest heat. 7w or 13w. Roughly double.

I see the v-tac 50w panel coming in around £35. That makes them a serious propersition. Though off topic..